Hello there,
Trying to find out more of my family lineage with the surname Massarotto.
Below are the details of names and birthplace I do know:
Bruno Massarotto - Grandfather, born in Rovigno on September 25th
Libero Massarotto - Great Uncle, one of my Grandfathers brothers
Francesco Massarotto - Great Grandfather
Euphemia Massarotto - Great Grandmother
I was also told by my late Nonno that he did know our bloodline traced back to one of the dukes of Venice...
any help on tracing our genealogy through the names of my family members above would be amazing!
Massarotto Surname
Re: Massarotto Surname
Can you provide approximate years on the births?
Are you sure their birthplace was "Rovigno?" - I think it is more likely ROVIGO
which is in the Veneto Region.
T.
Are you sure their birthplace was "Rovigno?" - I think it is more likely ROVIGO
T.
-
amassarotto
- Newbie

- Posts: 5
- Joined: 26 Sep 2017, 18:14
Re: Massarotto Surname
Hi T,
Sorry for the late reply.
I can only provide you with my grandfathers birthdate which is September 25th 1938.
My Nonno's and Great Uncle's birth place was Rovigno, presently known today as Rovinj in Croatia. I'm not too sure about the birthplace of my great grandparents.
Sorry for the late reply.
I can only provide you with my grandfathers birthdate which is September 25th 1938.
My Nonno's and Great Uncle's birth place was Rovigno, presently known today as Rovinj in Croatia. I'm not too sure about the birthplace of my great grandparents.
Re: Massarotto Surname
There are Catholic Church records available online for Rovinj, Croatia.
Unfortunately, births only extend through 1890, and marriages through 1907.
I would guess that Francesco and Euphemia were married sometime before the birth of their sons. Giving a span of about 10 years... about 1928-1938 (could be earlier)
At the birth of Bruno, his father Francesco could have been anywhere from 22 through 52 years of age... that would give an approximate range of birth for Francesco of about 1886-1916..
I will check the births in the 1880s for Francesco - we MIGHT get lucky if he has your GF when he was in his 50's!
Rovinj Church Records
https://www.familysearch.org/search/ima ... %3D2040054
T.
Unfortunately, births only extend through 1890, and marriages through 1907.
I would guess that Francesco and Euphemia were married sometime before the birth of their sons. Giving a span of about 10 years... about 1928-1938 (could be earlier)
At the birth of Bruno, his father Francesco could have been anywhere from 22 through 52 years of age... that would give an approximate range of birth for Francesco of about 1886-1916..
I will check the births in the 1880s for Francesco - we MIGHT get lucky if he has your GF when he was in his 50's!
Rovinj Church Records
https://www.familysearch.org/search/ima ... %3D2040054
T.
-
amassarotto
- Newbie

- Posts: 5
- Joined: 26 Sep 2017, 18:14
Re: Massarotto Surname
Hi T,
Yes, Francesco and Euphemia were married before the birth of their sons.
I don't think my GF had my grandfather in his 50's haha I believe he was in his mid 20's.
Yes, Francesco and Euphemia were married before the birth of their sons.
I don't think my GF had my grandfather in his 50's haha I believe he was in his mid 20's.
-
amassarotto
- Newbie

- Posts: 5
- Joined: 26 Sep 2017, 18:14
Re: Massarotto Surname
Hi T,
Both of my great grandparents, Euphemia and Francesco Massarotto were born in 1901 in Rovigno.
Both of my great grandparents, Euphemia and Francesco Massarotto were born in 1901 in Rovigno.
Re: Massarotto Surname
Unfortunately, the births online for Rovigno end at 1896amassarotto wrote: 24 Oct 2017, 17:31 Hi T,
Both of my great grandparents, Euphemia and Francesco Massarotto were born in 1901 in Rovigno.
However, I decided to search marriages (though I do not know the names of parents of Francesco and Euphemia)
I have found this marriage in 1893 - I cannot attest to this being Francesco's parents... but you may wish to hold on to this for future reference...
#42
Dated 23 August 1893
Groom: Matteo (written in the Latin Matteus) Massarotto, Roman Catholic, age 24, single, fisherman.
It looks like his parents were Rocco Massarotto of deceased Giovanni, fisherman; and deceased Pasqua Diamardi of deceased Lazaro.
Bride: Maria Fumich, Roman Catholic, age 23, single; daughter of deceased Giorgio Fumich of deceased Marino, farmer; and of Antonia Bernardi of deceased Giorgio.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2040054
T.
EDIT TO ADD***
I have sent you a PM with more Massarotto marriages for Rovigno from 1892-1901
-
Cfarabegoli
- Newbie

- Posts: 15
- Joined: 19 May 2020, 19:14
Re: Massarotto Surname
Massarotto was also the surname of one of the leaders of the Resistance in Rovinj after september the 8th 1943. Giusto Massarotto was with Pino Budicin, I'm not sure if you've got any connection (but there were 48 families registered with this surname in Rovinj in 1945, so quite a tangle! and as you've probably seen by browsing the birth registers, many had the same name going from generation to generation, or were naming most of the girls Euphemia as the church saint, it makes it difficult to understand which branch to look at)...http://www.istrianet.org/istria/history ... scotti.htm
