Family letter

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
smas1973
Master
Master

Family letter

Post by smas1973 »

Can I get help to translate this family letter please. Thank you for your time and help

Scott
Attachments
20180706_192038.jpg
Thank You For All Your Help With The Translation Of This Documents

Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Riggio, & Bondi.

Researching Termini Imerese, Palermo surnames Mascari, Spicuzza, Capone, Catalano & Pusateri
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Family letter

Post by erudita74 »

Hi Scott
I'm taking a stab at this letter since no one else here is. I hope what I understand is accurate.

I don’t know who the writer of this letter is, as only the first page is here, and the signature must be on a subsequent page.

The person is writing to a beloved friend to tell him about the death of his brother-ln-law, Francesco Papa, which occurred on June 26th, 1929 at 8. It seems that the deceased had suffered with an anguishing illness for some long 7 months, which then consumed his entire body, but the doctors had led the family astray (or given them false hope) concerning there being a cure for this illness. The deceased had ultimately developed dropsy (some kind of edema or swelling), possibly from a condition like congestive heart failure, although the writer doesn’t mention the specific condition which led to the edema. He uses the word l’ettesia, but I can’t find what the word means in English, although I think the spelling should only have one “t” in it.

The next paragraph though jumps to a different subject. It seems the letter writer received a (discounted?) promissory note for money to be paid within the coming month of August, for grain that will be sold, although the price is lower than what is expected for the quantity of grain being gathered/harvested in 1929.

The last line reads that "In the letter he found two (I can't decipher the next word, which is the word with which this page ends).

Erudita
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Hi Scott and Erudita,
just want to say that I don't read anything about doctors leading the family astray. The writer just says they spent a lot of money to find a cure.
I don't know what "ettesia" can be...I'll have to stay in Italy some more centuries to find it out :-)
The last words might be "due scudi" meaning some coins. "Scudo" was an ancient coin, but the word is still in use in several dialects, meaning some multiple by 5 of the unit of measure. For instance, in Roma young people say "uno scudo" to say 5 euros, and in my old good times "uno scudo" was 5,000 lire. So, maybe the writer meant two 5 liras coins. Also, we don't know what letter he is talking about.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Grazie, Pippo. Now I see the words "un grande spese," which I somehow misread earlier. Yes, the family spent a lot of money to find a cure.
Erudita
smas1973
Master
Master

Post by smas1973 »

Thank you this was helpful
Thank You For All Your Help With The Translation Of This Documents

Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Riggio, & Bondi.

Researching Termini Imerese, Palermo surnames Mascari, Spicuzza, Capone, Catalano & Pusateri
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

PippoM wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 17:29 I don't know what "ettesia" can be...I'll have to stay in Italy some more centuries to find it out :-)
ectesia....
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
EllenCatusco
Elite
Elite

Post by EllenCatusco »

could it be anxiety.
EllenCatusco
Elite
Elite

Post by EllenCatusco »

etescia. I does sound like he was dealing with a lot in letter.