Passenger lists

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
clerio
Veteran
Veteran

Passenger lists

Post by clerio »

Hi all!

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My ancestor Benegno DiSpirito left Italy and went to the US in 1890. I found a ship record to verify this. We know he went back and forth at least twice between Massachusetts and Italy but cannot find any records. I have scoured Ancestry and Family Search, even a Massachusetts passenger lists website but turned up nothing. He was born in Luogosano in 1860 and as I mentioned, left in 1890. He never became a US citizen. He would have traveled back to Italy in around 1894/1895 and again in 1896/1897. I appreciate any input on where I could be searching for additional outgoing and incoming passenger lists.
Researching: DiSpirito and Ferrante from Luogosano
Lerio from Brendola
Gioiosa (Gioioso) from Macchia Di Sernia
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Passenger lists

Post by erudita74 »

There are no return passenger lists to Italy, but some Italian towns do have dates in their registers when someone left and returned to the town. So I would write to the town of Luogosano and inquire.

email: info@comune.luogosano.av.it

Erudita
clerio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by clerio »

Thank you for clarifying about the return passenger list. I have wrote to the town twice now about other things and never heard back unfortunately. :(
Lerio from Brendola
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Sorry you haven't had luck with getting info from the town. Then you'll need to concentrate on finding subsequent passenger lists from Italy to the U.S. His name is probably badly misspelled, which is why you can't find him. Also, do you know if he used a different first name in the U.S.?

Erudita
clerio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by clerio »

Yes, he sometimes went by Benito DiSpirito in the U.S. too. I checked all the passenger lists I could think of for alternate names and spellings, but you are probably right. I have seen some of the names so butchered on records.
Lerio from Brendola