Are there birth records from Napoli around 1788 online?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Are there birth records from Napoli around 1788 online?

Post by Gags »

Thanks Angela! Someday I hope to get somewhat close to as skillful as y'all on this site and can help others in the same way. It's fascinating to unlock the mysteries of our families!!
EllenCatusco
Elite
Elite

Post by EllenCatusco »

I was trying to figure out occupation..you said something about violins? The closest I came to his occupation was conductor. conduttore in italian. Any musical history? Blacksmiths are usually called ferraro. I'm just putting that out there. Good luck in your search.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Gags wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 03:32 ....... It's fascinating to unlock the mysteries of our families!!
It sure is. It's a privilege to help others as well. Look forward to seeing more records from Napoli. (Most of my Italian friends are either from, or have their roots in Napoli, so I'm keeping an eye out for their surnames in the records.)

Angela :)
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gags »

EllenCatusco wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 19:11 I was trying to figure out occupation..you said something about violins? The closest I came to his occupation was conductor. conduttore in italian. Any musical history? Blacksmiths are usually called ferraro. I'm just putting that out there. Good luck in your search.
Very interesting!! Yes, the Gagliano family was famous for violin making https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gagliano_family. It doesn't appear that the Nicola and Giovanni in my family tree are the same ones in this wikipedia article, but it doesn't seem to be a big stretch that the families could be related. Nonetheless, at some point, my branch specialized in metalworking, first blacksmithing, then jewelers.
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gags »

EllenCatusco wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 19:11 I was trying to figure out occupation..you said something about violins? The closest I came to his occupation was conductor. conduttore in italian. Any musical history? Blacksmiths are usually called ferraro. I'm just putting that out there. Good luck in your search.

Very interesting!! Yes, the Gagliano family was famous for violin making https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gagliano_family. It doesn't appear that the Nicola and Giovanni in my family tree are the same ones in this wikipedia article, but it doesn't seem to be a big stretch that the families could be related. Nonetheless, at some point, my branch specialized in metalworking, first blacksmithing, then jewelers. But it makes me wonder if I'm a descendant of the luthiers.

Here are the violin makers:

Any idea what the "fl" and "ca" are in the wikipedia family tree?
I would think ca would be circa, but not sure what the fl would be.
I doubt they mean Florida and California! :lol:
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

fl = flourished, active
ca = circa
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gags »

Thanks much mmogno!
platense

Post by platense »

Hola a Todos!
Yo tengo el apellido Smitto vivo en Argentina y soy descendiente de un Abuelo Italiano Juan Smitto que nacio 3 de Abril de 1881 en Salerno (probablemente comuna di Sarno) hijo de Salvador Smitto. Hasta ahora no habia podido encontrar antecedentes de mi apellido en Italia y en casi ningún lugar del mundo, por eso me alegra encontrar aqui algún antecedente sobretodo italiano del mismo. Agradeceré cualquier conexion que puedan brindarme entre mi Abuelo y alguno de los aqui mencionados como por ejemplo Fortunatta Smitto.