How strict are the consulates with spellings and Anglicized names?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

How strict are the consulates with spellings and Anglicized names?

Post by Gags »

Hi All,

I'm gathering all my documents and just wondering how strict the consulates are with names. I'm sure the answer is, "It depends" but curious if anyone has any feedback on their experiences.

A few of my concerns in my case:
1 - My GGF's death record shows his wife's mother's maiden name instead of his in field 12 of NYC death record. I'm sure I'll have to get this corrected.
2 - Once corrected, my GGGM's name will be Maria BUttiglieri (based on his birth record) instead of BOttiglieri, as is shown on my GGF and GGM's marriage extract.
3 - My GF's name at birth was listed as Luigi Gagliano, but Louis Gagliano on both his marriage certificate and death record.

Thanks much!
mler
Master
Master

Re: How strict are the consulates with spellings and Anglicized names?

Post by mler »

Those are all minor issues. You shouldn’t have a problem.
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gags »

Thanks for the quick reply mler!!

Even Item #1? I figured since I'm trying to prove lineage that having my GGF's mother's name as Albina Pecoraro rather than Maria Bottiglieri would set off red flags. But I am tracing the Gagliano lineage rather than either of these 2 names...
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

You know, of course, that here are no guarantees, but the death certificates are the least important of the required documents. Since the information provided is obviously not self reported, and the person reporting is grieving and possibly confused, they are subject to error. I doubt the consulate will look very closely at his parents’ names.

On my grandfather’s death certificate, his mother’s name was also incorrectly listed. I didn’t worry about it, and neither did the consulate. This was, however, quite a few years ago.

If you can easily amend the document, it will probably ease your mind, so go for it. If an amendment would be difficult, go with what you have. My guess is it will be ok.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Gags wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 18:51
Even Item #1? I figured since I'm trying to prove lineage that having my GGF's mother's name as Albina Pecoraro rather than Maria Bottiglieri would set off red flags. But I am tracing the Gagliano lineage rather than either of these 2 names...
A death certificate cannot be amended and yes, this is likely to set off red flags. We have seen these kinds of situations before where an immigrant is not always honest with who his parents are. And this is because he may have left a wife and or children back in Italy and committed bigamy when he got to the USA. In my opinion, you are not finished with your research. I would check further to make sure your ancestor was not already married in Italy. If so, your ancestor's marriage in the USA was illegal and in the eyes of Italy all of his descendants would be illegitimate and not entitled to be recognized as Italian citizens.
Gags
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gags »

Thanks for the replies.

jennabet, I understand one can submit corrections with NYC for a number of documents, including death records, using the appropriate corrections request form and official birth record in my case:
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/services/ ... tions.page

My GGF and GGM were married in Italy and came to NYC with their 2 children, then had several more, including my GF once here. My GGM is listed as the reporting individual on the death record and I understand she didn't speak much English. So I imagine, in her grieving state and with a language barrier, she noted her mother's name instead of her mother-in-law's name.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

OK, it's good that they were married in Italy. It should not be a problem for you.
njb

Post by njb »

I'd like to piggy-back off this question with a similar one;

My great grandfather was born Vincenzo (on his birth certificate and on the 1910 census), but later went by James (marriage/death certificate & 1920/1930/1940 censuses).

I know James was a common anglicization of Vincenzo (Cenz -> James), and his full name on his marriage certificate does say James V. Will this raise any issues?