Interesting Mark on Signature

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
mnaccarato
Veteran
Veteran

Interesting Mark on Signature

Post by mnaccarato »

I recently obtained my Great-Great-Grandparents NYC Marriage License and my Great-Great-Grandmother Sebastiana Cutrona has a mark between her first and last name in her signature, which is even notated by an official as "her mark." I noticed that her signature on a different document also includes the mark. At first, I was wondering if it was a cross? Realize it may be nothing, but thought I'd ask! She was born in Licodia Eubea, Catania, Sicilia.
Attachments
SignatureCopy.jpg
SignatureCopy2.jpg
Researching the following surnames: Naccarato, Sanzo, Filippelli, Lembo, Gaudio, Pezzente, Ferrante, Peluso
EllenCatusco
Elite
Elite

Re: Interesting Mark on Signature

Post by EllenCatusco »

It probably means she can not write. Some one else may have signed it for her. I seen the same thing on a few documents of my own.
bbivona
Master
Master

Post by bbivona »

It just means that she is unable to write, so she puts a mark and someone witnesses that she placed the mark. That's why the signature is completely different on the two documents - someone else wrote her name. I wouldn't think that there is any significance to the type of mark. Most often people made an X in these cases.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
mnaccarato
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mnaccarato »

Got it! That makes sense, I was thinking something like that since both signatures are different. Thanks both!
Researching the following surnames: Naccarato, Sanzo, Filippelli, Lembo, Gaudio, Pezzente, Ferrante, Peluso