Help with the translation of 1869 #177 birth record for Calegero Scime

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jrbak
Elite
Elite

Help with the translation of 1869 #177 birth record for Calegero Scime

Post by jrbak »

Hello,
Would someone mind helping me with the translation of this birth document for Calogero Scime, birth 3 May 1869. I cannot read the name before Giuseppe and am not sure if this is the father. I do not know who the mother is either. On the left of the document, I believe this is the marriage date for Calogero and Rosaria Tamburelli. 22 or 23 Sep 1899. I do not know what this says or what the other date is about. Is there any other important information I should know. Oh, what is Sa Valle Sedino, a church or town? This is my great uncle's father in law. I appreciate your help so much.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1946817

Best Regards,
Jefferie (jrbak)
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Help with the translation of 1869 #177 birth record for Calegero Scime

Post by Biff83 »

The person who presented the child at the town hall on the 3rd was a mid wife, Giuseppa Giraneo?
The child was born earlier on the 3rd to Calogera Falco Abramo, 20, daughter of Leonardo, and to her deceased
husband Calogero Scime.
Margin notes state wedding in Sep 1899 to Rosaria Tamburelli for the birth child, Calogero Scime.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

jrbak wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 22:12 Hello,
Would someone mind helping me with the translation of this birth document for Calogero Scime, birth 3 May 1869. I cannot read the name before Giuseppa Piraneo is the midwife who delivered te child. and am not sure if this is the father. I do not know who the mother is either. Mother is Calogera Falco Abramo, age 20, daughter of Leonardo On the left of the document, I believe this is the marriage date for Calogero and Rosaria Tamburelli. 23 Sep 1899. YES I do not know what this says or what the other date is about. That is the date the annotation was entered on the record. Is there any other important information I should know. Oh, what is Sa Valle Sedino, It is Valledolmo, a comune in Palermo Province where the marriage took place. a church or town? This is my great uncle's father in law. I appreciate your help so much.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1946817

Best Regards,
Jefferie (jrbak)

T.
jrbak
Elite
Elite

Post by jrbak »

Hi Tessa,
Thank you so very much. Were you able to find his father on the record? I sure appreciate your help. This family has been very hard to find the records. I have searched and searched for Rosaria Tamburelli's birth which should be about 1884 according to the age she was coming to the US-18 in 1902. She had two children 1901 and 1902 who came with them to the states. Calogero was 33 yrs. when he came so much older than her. The age tracks also through the census records in the states. What is puzzling is that there are no Tamburelli's in births and marriages in Racalmuto. Looked at over 6,000 records. Other names similar or close in association but I have no way of telling what would be correct. Usually one would find these names throughout so I think maybe she was from another town. That is why I was interested in whether that was a parish or a town. She was not naturalized here US, so I have no record. I found the second daughters (Emma) birth record but none on the first (Angelina) also. I sure hope you can find a fathers name on the record or another puzzle. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Best Regards and Grazie!,
Jefferie
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Jefferie
Biff gave you the father's name in his reply above. It was Calogero Scime, the deceased husband of the mother Calogera Falco Abramo
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

As I mentioned in my post, the marriage took place in Valledolmo, Palermo, which would be the hometown of the bride.

Look there for her birth act, not in Racalmuto.

T.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

jrbak wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 00:54 I have searched and searched for Rosaria Tamburelli's birth which should be about 1884 according to the age she was coming to the US-18 in 1902.
Jefferie

Hi Jefferie

Spot on! She was born in 1884, in the town of Valledomo. Here's her Birth Record:

Birth No 186: Rosaria Tamburelli esposta (exposed – foundling)

Valledomo: 23 May 1884

Rosaria Tamburelli was a foundling.

The woman registering the birth I am understanding to be the receiver of the foundlings (rotaia). It doesn't mention which institution. It says that the baby was the daughter of a woman who didn't give consent to be named, and that the father was unknown. The official gave her the name Rosaria and the surname Tamburelli esposta.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=382540

(Rosaria Tamburelli was 15 yo when she married. She was the daughter of unknown parents. (Both the following Marriage Publication and her Birth Record confirm this.) She was born on 23 May 1884. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1946817 )

(In most cases, the wedding took place in the birth place of the bride.)

Take care.

Angela :)
jrbak
Elite
Elite

Post by jrbak »

Dear Biff,
My apologies as I did not even see your comments. It was totally overlooked and I am very sorry I missed it. Thank you so much. I am glad Erudita pointed it out to me. As Angela has pointed out to me many times before, Jefferie slow down. So again,my apologies and thank you for the fathers name.
Jefferie (jrbak)
jrbak
Elite
Elite

Post by jrbak »

Dear Angela,
Thank you so very much as you came to my rescue once again. This does make so much sense now. How sad about these foundling children but I am hopeful for most that their lives were blessed and became productive. I was tired yesterday and was going to start searching again in the town Valledomo this morning.. I sure appreciate your hard work.
Thank you again so much. My best,
Jefferie (jrbak)
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

jrbak wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 17:22 Dear Angela,
Thank you so very much as you came to my rescue once again. This does make so much sense now. How sad about these foundling children but I am hopeful for most that their lives were blessed and became productive. I was tired yesterday and was going to start searching again in the town Valledomo this morning.. I sure appreciate your hard work.
Thank you again so much. My best,
Jefferie (jrbak)

My pleasure, as always, Jefferie. I was so pleased that I found the pubblication, which pointed me to the exact date of birth.

I omitted to mention that, while the bride's marriage "normally" would take place in her birth town, that the (Request for) Pubblications (marriage banns) are normally posted in both the bride's birth town and also the groom's birth town. So, if you find again in the future that you know that a couple have married, but are unsure of the bride's birth town, because you don't have the marriage record, then look for the marriage banns posted in the groom's town. The information about the bride will be there.

I understand your sentiments concerning abandoned children. It is really sad and would have a profound impact
on both the child, not knowing where they had their beginnings, and also the mother not knowing what became of her child. If you are interested David Kertzer has written books and papers on Infant Abandonment in Italy. I have his book "Sacrificed for Honour". It's quite an eye opener.

Take care. Best to you.
Angela