Dual Citizenship via mother>>>grandmother>>&g

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jjk_16_21
Rookie
Rookie

Dual Citizenship via mother>>>grandmother>>&g

Post by jjk_16_21 »

After reading all of these forms, I am getting the feeling that I am not going to be able to obtain my citizenship? Here is my situation....

My Mother (born 1955)
Grandmother (born 1937)
G-Grandfather (born 1904)

I emailed a couple dual citizenship sites and they said it is possible as long as they did not get naturilized before my grandmothers birth. However, I believe he was never naturalized because his marriage was arranged to an Italian women born in USA. HELP PLEASE!!!! I need some good news.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Dual Citizenship via mother>>>grandmother>&g

Post by nuccia »

Have you had a chance to look this website over?

www.bellaconsultants.com

I haven't gone through it yet and I don't remember where I got it from, but it advises about dual citizenship. As I said though, beware since I haven't gone through it, I'm not sure if there are costs involved! It doesn't hurt to view...

Has anyone else ever heard of it or gone through it :?:

Nuccia :D
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi guys!
Another site sponsored by the Italian Consulate is pretty thorough.
Hope this helps!
http://www.italiamerica.org/cittadinanza/
vj
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

This is part of the Italian Embassy site in the USA pertaining to citizenship. Scroll down ther page for information in English - it starts off in Italian. There ar also links for further information...

http://www.italyemb.org/Cittadinanza.htm

Failing that, if it's any use you could try this one - it's the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs...

http://www.esteri.it/eng/5_32_183.asp

Elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks Elba and VJ,

These are pretty goods sites. I've been looking them over, too!

Hugs
Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I'm assuming your great grandfather was never naturalized or naturalized after your grandmother was born. Since your mom was born after 1948, your grandmother could pass citizenship to her (and her to you).

If your great grandfather married an American, he did not automatically become a U.S. citizen; in fact, your great grandmother LOST her U.S. citizenship by marrying an alien.

The jure sanguinis process is time consuming, but I am doing it now, and for the most part, you can do it without the use of a consultant. May I suggest you visit www:myitaliancitizenship.com They have a wealth of information and will get documents from Italy for you at a nominal cost. The U.S. documents you can easily get on your own.
superflush

Post by superflush »

whats the deal with losing citizenship be marrying an alien??, do you have any more info about that?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

It's no longer true, and I'm not sure the exact date that it changed (I think about 1930). I discovered this interesting fact when I found naturalization papers for my grandmother, who was born in New York and thus born an American citizen. After some research, I discovered why. Women weren't treated very well in the early part of the 20th century.
redangie24

Post by redangie24 »

These are the documents you will need:
Your maternal great grandfather's birth certificate from Italy.
Your maternal great grandmother's birth certificate.
Your great grandparents' marriage certificate. (If married outside of Italy, you will need an apostille and a translation into Italian.)
Your maternal great grandfather's certificate of naturalization.
Your maternal grandmother's birth certificate (with apostille and translation)
Your maternal grandfather's birth certificate
Your grandparents' marriage certificate (with apostille and translation)
Your mother's birth certificate (with apostille and translation)
Your father's birth certificate
Your parents' marriage certificate (with apostille and translation)
Your birth certificate (with apostille and translation)
Your marriage certificate, if applicable (with apostille and translation)
Your spouse's birth certificate, if applicable
Birth certificates for all your children under the age of eighteen, if applicable (with apostille and translation)
Any applicable divorce decrees/certificates (with apostille and translation)
Death certificates for anyone listed above (with apostille and translation, if for your mother, grandmother or great grandfather)
I am going through the same line of citizenship as you are the best site I have found is http://www.italiandualcitizenship.com/ It is the best to me since it lets you pick how you trace back to Italy (which ancestors). Hope this helps.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

mler wrote:It's no longer true, and I'm not sure the exact date that it changed (I think about 1930). I discovered this interesting fact when I found naturalization papers for my grandmother, who was born in New York and thus born an American citizen. After some research, I discovered why. Women weren't treated very well in the early part of the 20th century.
The same thing happened to my grandmother. She was born in Colorado, moved back to Italy as a child, married in Feb 1930 and moved back to the US with her husband. She had to apply for naturalization in 1954 but before she did she was able to give her citizenship to her 14 year old daughter.

Doesn't make sense to me yet but I'll figure it out one day.

Nuccia
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Redangle, your long list looks a bit daunting, but it may not be necessary to obtain all the documents on it. Some consulates--for example, Chicago--expect all documents from both sides of the family.

In New York and Newark the requirements are considerably less stringent. I, for example, am applying through my grandfather and father. I do not need a birth and naturalization certificate for my grandmother; nor do I need my mother's birth certificate. I only need documentation for the paternal line.

It's important to determine the specific requirements for your particular consulate. Some are more demanding than others.
redangie24

Post by redangie24 »

[Redangle, your long list looks a bit daunting, but it may not be necessary to obtain all the documents on it. Some consulates--for example, Chicago--expect all documents from both sides of the family.]

I need to move to New York, since I am going through Miami I need everything on the list plus any death certificates for any one in the main line (mother grandmother great-grandfather) and I also need "Italian Certificate of Citizenship and Residence" which I did not know yet when I posted the earlier list. So I guess the bottom line is that it is important to check with the Italian consulate in ur area first.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

It can be really frustrating because there is absolutely no consistency from consulate to consulate. I live in NJ and the Newark consulate told me I had to amend my father's birth certificate. So I went to NY, and they told me it was fine as it was. Go figure.

Luckily, my son lives in NY. Guess where I'll be applying.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Just out of idle curiosity......(which usually gets me into trouble...)
but why does one want to become an Italian citizen and an American citizen?

Lisa
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I suppose there are a number of reasons. Certainly it simplifies extended stays and/or extended travel in Europe because there are few restrictions for EU citizens, and many hurdles for Americans. Italian citizenship also expands the job market, and allows Americans to work anywhere in Europe without special permits. These are some of the more practical reasons.

From my own perspective, Italian citizenship is a way of honoring my grandparents and my heritage. My grandparents made many sacrifices to come here, and not one of them ever returned even for a visit. I like to think I'm returning for them. My husband, who was born and raised in Italy, still thinks of himself as Italian, although he is a naturalized American. This is a return for him as well.

My children are both grown and and are successful professionals in the U.S. Our lives are here, and probably always will be. But for my children, too, Italian citizenship expands the options and the possibilities. Who knows what tomorrow may bring for my children, my children's children . . .

And how about you? Why do you want to do this? Or are you Italian?