translate please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
rob-ander

translate please

Post by rob-ander »

the phrase" I could care less"
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: translate please

Post by ricbru »

"mi potrebbe importare di meno"

bye Riccardo
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeliBoy »

If I may contradict you Ricardo, although you have translated the words perfectly, I do not believe you have correctly captured the meaning of this idomatic phrase.

This is an American variant of of the English expression with the same meaning "I could not care less". Look at this article for a discussion of how the expression came to mean its exact opposite. Questions and Answers: I could care less

I think that "non posso fregare di meno" might be a more appropriate translation, although using this phrase always got me a clip round the ear from my mother.

Here is a link to a forum where such linguistic nuances are often discussed in great detail: Word Reference Forum
Incipit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Incipit »

Hi,

You're right about "I could care less", but non posso fregare di meno in italian means I cannot steal less, and not I could care less.

Better non me ne può fregare di meno
or non me ne può importare di meno

Regards
Tommaso
Incipit
Genealogical researches in Italy
www.incipitprato.com
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

And actually it's wrong in English as well, as the article clearly indicates.

The phrase makes no sense as it is often used.

I wonder why so many Americans decided to say the opposite of what they mean.
rob-ander

Re: fat chance and slim chance

Post by rob-ander »

great point,in fact think of prases "fat chance" and "slom chance" have virtually same meaning,even though words fat and slim are direct opposites
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeliBoy »

Oops,

Thanks for the correction to my correction Tommaso.

You are evidently a wise man and not a wise guy.
Incipit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Incipit »

:wink:
Incipit
Genealogical researches in Italy
www.incipitprato.com
eddy50

Post by eddy50 »

Hi I am looking for where to get a inscricion birth of my great-grandfather was named benito datre granite Castrovillari born in Calabria in the years 1835 to 1840 if anyone would be very helpful alludarme SALUDOS EDDY
Ciao Sto cercando dove trovare uno inscricion nascita di mio bisnonno è stato nominato Benito datre granito Castrovillari nato in Calabria negli anni 1835 al 1840 se qualcuno sarebbe molto utile alludarme SALUDOS EDDY
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Eddy50 go to your nearest mormon family history (www.familysearch.org for location) and rent out the micorfilm for Castrovillari for about $5.00 which has all the births,marriages and deaths inthat town from 1809 to 1910. Bring along a magnifying glass with you to read the handwriting if you wish.

If you want to write away to the town in Italy for a birth record you might want to take a chance and put in the approcximate years you state 1835 to 1840 and see what they come up with. Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html for the form letters which you can mail to Castrovillari.

Go to www.nonsolocap.it and type inCastrovillari and when it comes up click on the name and scrioll down to Municipio for address of the Ufficio di Stato Civile. The service is free of charge. =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The correct phrase (in English, of course) is, "I could not care less."

Meaning, I care so little about (the subject at hand) that I could not possibly care any less. The glass is so empty, it could not contain less vino than it does now. The towel is so dry, you could leave it in the sun all day and it would not be any drier than it is already.

WordReference.com translates it as "Non me ne importa un cavolo!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

eddy50 wrote:Hi I am looking for where to get a inscricion birth of my great-grandfather was named benito datre granite Castrovillari born in Calabria in the years 1835 to 1840 if anyone would be very helpful alludarme SALUDOS EDDY
Ciao Sto cercando dove trovare uno inscricion nascita di mio bisnonno è stato nominato Benito datre granito Castrovillari nato in Calabria negli anni 1835 al 1840 se qualcuno sarebbe molto utile alludarme SALUDOS EDDY
Hi eddy50,

Perhaps you could start your own thread to keep information separate from the original? Should you need any help, please let us know.

nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database