Ettorre family in Guilianova Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cateyanne

Ettorre family in Guilianova Italy

Post by cateyanne »

I was previously looking for a Giovanni Ettorre which is what I was told my husbands grandfather's name was. In trying to verify the information everyone was providing in this forum, I have gotten more accurate information from another family source and have found out his name was NOT Giovanni! :roll: but is instead Emilecare or Amilecare Ettorre. His father was Antonio Ettorre and his mother was called Marinda for short though her birth name is something like Aramarinda? They both lived with their son in Guiliannova Italy. I believe Amilecare lived sometime between 1880 and died in 1970. He also was supposedly in the Italian navy for which he received a penion. He also was supposedly living in the US for a period of time before 1927 when he returned to Italy. During this period he worked and lived in Pennsylvania and was enlisted in the US army where he was wounded in France during WWI.
I want to thank everyone who responded to my post although it was a wild goose chase. Of course some of the Ettorre relatives may yet connect.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Ettorre family in Guilianova Italy

Post by nuccia »

Not a problem.

Sometimes things get mixed up and we get the wrong info.

Just as an FYI I found these records and had them saved so before I discard them I'll post them for you but I won't link them unless you see something you need, Ok?

Name: Candeloro Ettorre
City: Philadelphia
County: Philadelphia
State: Pennsylvania
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 27 Mar 1897
Roll: 1907642
DraftBoard: 22

Father Antonio...Noteresco, Italy

Ohio Soldiers in WWI, 1917-1918 Recordinfo
about Guiseppe Ettorre
Name: Guiseppe Ettorre
Race: White
Birth Location: Giulianova, Italy

Enlistment Date: 6 Oct 1917
Enlistment County: Niles
Enlistment State: Ohio
Enlistment Division: National Army
Decorations and Awards: View image
Advancement: View image
Comments: 62 Depot Brigade to 19 Dec 1917; Headquarters Company 147 Infantry to 25 May 1918; 156 Depot Brigade to 29 Aug 1918; Auxiliary Remount Depot 315 to Discharge Private Honorable discharge 10 March 1919.

As I said, they may not mean anything...

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
cateyanne

Post by cateyanne »

thank you for responding so quickly. I don't believe this is the man I'm looking for. It is possible that although his name was amilecare he was frequently referred to as Giovanni. But I don't think ever Guisepppi. The age does match up though so who knows. I think with the name variants I will have problems locating him. I can file this info. for future reference if I get along and find I can connect more relatives. The first name is not one I have heard yet. thanks Nuccia, Cateyanne
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Cateyanne,

Since he was in the US Navy during the war, try getting his service records. Should have his personal information on them.

Here is link to obtaining miltary records.

www.military.com/Resou...23,00.html
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

cateyanne wrote: but is instead Emilecare or Amilecare Ettorre. His father was Antonio Ettorre and his mother was called Marinda for short though her birth name is something like Aramarinda? They both lived with their son in Guiliannova Italy. I believe Amilecare lived sometime between 1880 and died in 1970. He also was supposedly in the Italian navy for ....
Hi There,

I found this manifest that I thought was interesting.

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 3836110120

First Name: Ermali
Last Name: Ettore
Ethnicity: Italian Italian
Last Place of Residence: Vaccse
Date of Arrival: Mar 01, 1900
Age at Arrival: 17y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Southwark
Port of Departure: Antwerp
Manifest Line Number: 0030

I then found this in the WWI Draft Cards ... Now remember, you stated he went by the name Giovanni also. And please remember, this is all "assumptions", you still have to verify the information.

Name: Giovanni Ettaro
City: Not Stated
County: Clearfield
State: Pennsylvania
Birth Date: Jun 1882
Roll: 1877877
DraftBoard: 1

Do you have any other clues to give us, such as did he get married? If he was in WWI, then there should be Naturalization Records for him, but do you know where in Pennsylvania he was living?

Smile for me!:)
Trish
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

cateyanne wrote:... but is instead Emilecare or Amilecare Ettorre. His father was Antonio Ettorre and his mother was called Marinda for short though her birth name is something like Aramarinda? They both lived with their son in Guiliannova Italy. I believe Amilecare lived sometime between 1880 and died in 1970. .
Hi again,

Does the surname DeMarco mean anything to you? I found this in the 1920 census. This again is only an "assumption".

Name: John Ettore
Estimated birth year: abt 1889
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1920: Philadelphia Ward 2, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Sex: Male
Marital status: Single
Relation to Head of House: Brother-in-law
Year of immigration: 1913
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 456
Image Source: Year: 1920; Census Place: Philadelphia Ward 2, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Roll: T625_1615; Page: 6B; Enumeration District: 72; Image: 456.

Here are some Ettore's coming through Ellis Island from the town of Giulianova

Ettore,Giovanni Giulianova, Italy 1920 25 1895
Ettore,Pia Giulianova, Italy 1920 19 1901
Ettorre,Giulio Giulianova, Italy 1923 28 1895
Ettorre De Marco,Adelina Giulianova, Teramo 1913 38 1875

And if the family was from the town of Giulianova, then the Family History Center does have microfilm that you can order and rent for $5.75 a roll. The films will have copies of the Birth, Marriage, and Death Acts of you ancestors.

Here is the link for the film numbers.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

Here is the link to find the nearest Family History Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Here is the address for the town in case you want to write for the records.

Ufficio Stato Civile
Comune di Giulianova
Corso Garibaldi
64021 Giulianova
ITALY

Here is the official website for the town
http://www.comune.giulianova.te.it/pagine/index.asp

I hope this helps some
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
cateyanne

Post by cateyanne »

Thanks for the military link. that's great.

Hi Trish,
Apparently he was married twice. As the story goes he came to the US to work. He married a woman ( don't know her name) and the two of them had a bad bout of food poisoning after eating out somewhere. She died from it and he was seriously ill and nearly died himself. Heartbroken he stayed with family or friends until he got enough money to go back to Italy. He married again when he met his deceased wife's cousin at a family gathering (apparently she favored her late cousin in looks)this woman was named Giovannina Corropolese. Ido not know if the first wife came over with him or if he met her in US. There were many family members and close friends in US at the time so it is possible. He was living I am told in either Philidelphia or Ardmore in PA. I don't have any idea how old he was when he was in service but I think he was born around 1886 give or take a couple of years.
Thanks Trish
cateyanne

Post by cateyanne »

Hi again,
The name DeMarco doesn't mean anything to me. But I will check with my informants. I have not much information to go on in this quest but am trying to jog the memories of family with all my questions. All of the help you give is so appreciated. thanks, C
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I thought I'd link the records you found Trish so that cateyanne could view them..

WW1 draft records

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/4947/imagex0sn.gif

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

And here is the 1920 census..

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/6255/imagex1ko.gif

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

nuccia wrote:I thought I'd link the records you found Trish so that cateyanne could view them..

WW1 draft records

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/4947/imagex0sn.gif

Nuccia
Hi Nuccia,

Thank you for posting the records. Maybe the records could help job the memories of the posters family.

Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Trish,

I was looking at the manifest you posted of Ermali and it seems he went first to Barre, Vermont to be with his cousin Molla. Maybe cateyanne could tell us if that surname rings a bell?

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

cateyanne wrote:Thanks for the military link. that's great.

Hi Trish,
Apparently he was married twice. As the story goes he came to the US to work. He married a woman ( don't know her name) and the two of them had a bad bout of food poisoning after eating out somewhere. She died from it and he was seriously ill and nearly died himself. Heartbroken he stayed with family or friends until he got enough money to go back to Italy. He married again when he met his deceased wife's cousin at a family gathering (apparently she favored her late cousin in looks)this woman was named Giovannina Corropolese. Ido not know if the first wife came over with him or if he met her in US. There were many family members and close friends in US at the time so it is possible. He was living I am told in either Philidelphia or Ardmore in PA. I don't have any idea how old he was when he was in service but I think he was born around 1886 give or take a couple of years.
Thanks Trish
hi about the first name right is AMILCARE; now the problem is that Amilcare as Ettore( 1 "r") are both first names and also surnames( Ettore as also D'Ettorre, Ettore etc)... well because both part of your ancestor's name can be first names and also surnames, i found this record, and I hope that someone can look by ancestry access:

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Record
Military
View Image Name: Ettore Amilcare Birth: date dd mm year
Birth: location
Residence: city, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Other: location

hoping helpful, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

wldspirit wrote:here is the image:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9223/ettore2pb.gif

Hugs.
Lisa

WOW right!!!!!!!!!!!
it is he.. born in Giulianova the 8 sep. 1886, mother in Italy, single, and the signature is very right as in italy for important documents: before the surname and after the first name!!! THIS IS AMILCARE ETTORRE BORN IN GIULIANOVA! WOW!!!!!!!!! THANKS LISA YOUR GREAT CONTRIBUTE IS ALWAYS SO MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!
:D hugs, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH