Sicilian church record town of origin

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Sicilian church record town of origin

Post by erudita74 »

Matt
Here's the marriage record for Antonino and Rosalia LiCausi, but no mention of the Vitale surname. The marriage Oct 3, 1677. His father deceased Giuseppe and mother Margherita. Their first child Pietro Antonio LiCausi was born on 7/20/1678. Do you have any additional info which could help you identify if this is your Antonino Vitale?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=988561
meovino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by meovino »

erudita74 wrote: 27 May 2021, 19:35 Matt
Here's the marriage record for Antonino and Rosalia LiCausi, but no mention of the Vitale surname. The marriage Oct 3, 1677.
This is certainly a candidate... I have a few things going for this.

I have found 5 baptisms under the name "Vitale" with parents Antonino and Rosalia. They were in 1687, 1690, 1693, 1699 and 1701. They were Francesca, Giuseppe Antonino, Francesco, Stefano Onofrio, and Giovanna, respectively. 3 of the 4 parents' names in that marriage (Giuseppe, Margarita, Francesco, Francesca) are there. Additionally, their 2nd child under the "Li Causi" name was Giovanna Antonina Maria in 1685. Note they had another child named Giovanna under the Vitale name in 1701.

There are no more baptisms I could find after 1685 and note that the first Vitale baptism was in 1687.

My only issue is I can't find a baptism for a Ignazio Vitale/Li Causi, my main ancestor of interest (who married Giuseppa D'Amico).

Edit to add: Regarding Antonino's parents Giuseppe and Margarita in that marriage, I have found the marriage between Giuseppe li Causi and Margarita Vitale on November 23, 1654. Maybe this helps confirm things a bit more and possibly point at where the alias came from?
Matt
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Matt
I'm posting the link to the 1654 marriage record. I don't know if you realize that both Giuseppe and Margherita were widowed at the time of their marriage. The name of his former spouse is not given, only that he was a widower of Monreale. I see his father was deceased Giacomo (li Causi) and his mother deceased either Castrenza or Caterina (not sure about the translation of the abbreviation for her first name. Margherita was of dec Antonino and Angela Vitale, and the widow of deceased Paolo Ortolano of Monreale.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=988561

In the case of double surnames, it is possible that one of the surnames came from a wife's surname (what we in U.S. refer to as a maiden name). Just wish we had more definitive proof.

There is a Giorgi Antonino Li Causi born to this couple in Monreale 10/3/1656. (folio 146, record 216). It just states the parents were a married couple of Monreale.

Then I found a death record for an Antonino Vitale, son of deceased Giuseppe and deceased Margherita Vitale. He died at about age 58. The record (link below) Feb 26, 1718, so this Antonino would have been born about 1660, but I can't find one with the LiCausi surname baptized in 1660, or even a baptism record with the Vitale surname for that year, so I wonder if the 1718 death record is for the 1656 Giorgi Antonino. Again just speculation.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2046915
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Matt
The only baptism record I have located for an Ignazio Vitali is for one baptized in Corleone with the names Ignazio Paolo Domenico Vitali, on May 29, 1657, but his parents were Pietro and Vita. The years for his possible baptism, if it occurred in Monreale, are not missing, as far a I can tell. I know that 1694-1700 baptisms are missing, but those years are too late anyway, as he married in 1703. I checked under both the "Li Causi" and "Vitale" surnames.
Erudita
meovino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by meovino »

erudita74 wrote: 29 May 2021, 16:55 Matt
The only baptism record I have located for an Ignazio Vitali is for one baptized in Corleone with the names Ignazio Paolo Domenico Vitali, on May 29, 1657, but his parents were Pietro and Vita. The years for his possible baptism, if it occurred in Monreale, are not missing, as far a I can tell. I know that 1694-1700 baptisms are missing, but those years are too late anyway, as he married in 1703. I checked under both the "Li Causi" and "Vitale" surnames.
Erudita

I believe that this is his death record, Feb 5, 1749. Top left, Ignazio Vitale with parents Antonino and Rosa. Aged 60 which would be birth around 1689. His marriage was actually in 1705 but that doesn't make much of a difference. For what it's worth, his wife Giuseppa D'Amico was baptized on Aug 10, 1685.

Also regarding your previous post, thank you for the information. I do believe the Antonino li Causi and Rosalia Giongrandi marriage is a very good candidate, especially with the mother "Vitale" alias. I wish there was more information available but that doesn't appear to be the case.
Matt
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Here's the marriage of Francesco Li Causi and Cristina Genova 10/20/1711, which you may have already seen.

Francesco was the son of Antonino and Rosalia LiCausi alias Vitali. He should be the same Francesco whose baptism record you found previously under the surname Vitale.

Matt-I assume you went record by record to look for Ignazio's baptism record in Monreale. I did go record by record for the 1689 baptisms, in case he just wasn't listed in the index. You probably already did this, even for other years, as you seem to be a very thorough researcher. So I guess my helping you has pretty much come to an end at this point. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm sure another volunteer here on the forum will help you, if I'm not available to do so. Best of luck to you.

Erudita
meovino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by meovino »

erudita74 wrote: 30 May 2021, 12:41 Here's the marriage of Francesco Li Causi and Cristina Genova 10/20/1711, which you may have already seen.

Francesco was the son of Antonino and Rosalia LiCausi alias Vitali. He should be the same Francesco whose baptism record you found previously under the surname Vitale.

Matt-I assume you went record by record to look for Ignazio's baptism record in Monreale. I did go record by record for the 1689 baptisms, in case he just wasn't listed in the index. You probably already did this, even for other years, as you seem to be a very thorough researcher. So I guess my helping you has pretty much come to an end at this point. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm sure another volunteer here on the forum will help you, if I'm not available to do so. Best of luck to you.

Erudita
I can not thank you enough for your help and research!
Matt