American Naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
[raven]
Rookie
Rookie

American Naturalization

Post by [raven] »

Hello forumist people :)
I'm italian, but my great grandparents come to Elizabeth, N.J. in 1906 or something like this. My Grandpa is born in Italy when my great grandparents come here to stay for a while. All the other brothers and sisters of my grandpa are americans and still live there.
My grandpa never been naturalized as american. I can do something to be naturalized I and my father too ?
Sorry for my bad english i need to learn more :lol:
Francesco
mler
Master
Master

Re: American Naturalization

Post by mler »

Ciao Francesco,
Most of us here are trying to figure out a way of getting Italian citizenship, so we're not too familiar with the process of getting American citizenship. I'll try to do some research for you. Some questions first.

When your great grandparents were in NJ, did they become naturalized Americans?

Your grandfather was born in Italy. Was your father born in Italy too?

Were any of your direct ancestors (mother, father, grandparents) born in the U.S.

You probably have cousins who are Americans. Have you contacted them about citizenship?

Maybe someone on this forum knows more about this than I do, but I promise to do some research for you.

No need to apologize about your English. It's very good.
[raven]
Rookie
Rookie

Post by [raven] »

mler wrote:Ciao Francesco,
Most of us here are trying to figure out a way of getting Italian citizenship, so we're not too familiar with the process of getting American citizenship. I'll try to do some research for you. Some questions first.
Ciao mier, thanks to give me a reply soo fast :P
When your great grandparents were in NJ, did they become naturalized Americans?
I think so. One of the uncle of my father do a 2 World War as american, and he die in italy.
Your grandfather was born in Italy. Was your father born in Italy too?
Yes. My grandpa and my father and me too was born in italy.
Were any of your direct ancestors (mother, father, grandparents) born in the U.S.
That i know, only the uncles of my father are born in U.S.
You probably have cousins who are Americans. Have you contacted them about citizenship?
Yes, but i waiting for reply from 3 or more years... I think that he dont remember.
Maybe someone on this forum knows more about this than I do, but I promise to do some research for you.
Many many thanks mier. I try to googling but all the results are for US -> Italy. But i try here.
No need to apologize about your English. It's very good.
Eheheheheh maybe need to write and to speak more... I speak only spanish from 1 year. And i'm afraid that not remember nothing :lol:

I can wait :) See ya.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

I really don't know anything about obtaining US citizenship, but have you tried calling or writing a US consulate in Italy? Would think they would be able to help you......Just a suggestion.

Good luck,
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

This site may answer your question without any hassle!

http://www.clac.state.mn.us/english/bctzne.htm

I a kinda thought that you had to live here to apply for citizenship.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Intersting site Nonna J..

When I moved to the US in 1970 we had to wait 5 years to apply for citizenship...unfortunately we moved back to Canada 2 weeks before we became citizens. I do however still have my green card although I'm not sure when I would ever use it.

PS...love the part about having a good moral character! :D

Nuccia :D
[raven]
Rookie
Rookie

Post by [raven] »

So i cant "use" my american parents to become american citizen, right ?
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

[raven],

Thought you said your grandfather, father & you all born in Italy? :? If one or both of your parents is an American citizen, you maybe a US citizen even though you were born in Italy.

jcsm
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Are you under 18? I think this may help if you are but I'm not sure. Call the US Consulate as Nonna J suggested. I think this would be your best bet. Also, make sure you have any US documents to refer to as they will probably ask questions relating to them.

I don't know if the info here will apply to you or helps you at all but go ahead and look through it anyway.

http://milan.usconsulate.gov/files/birth.htm

I am also confused about the birth thing...was your parent a US citizen or not?

Nuccia
[raven]
Rookie
Rookie

Post by [raven] »

I'm 23. My great grandfather live in U.S. when he was 27 to the death. My great grandmother when she was 22. All the brothers and sisters of my grandpa are american citizen but no my grandpa, that i know, my grandpa never lived in U.S. but i cant tell because he is dead. For the italian law if you have a italian great grandpa italian, you can obtain the naturalization (juri sanguinis), maybe exist some like this in U.S. Laws.
Many thanks for the help :)
Oh at last, i need to marry an american woman to be american hahaha :P
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Hi Francesco,

Your great grandparents lived in America for a long time. Perhaps they did naturalize. If you have information on the dates they were in the country and their names, maybe someone will be able to find out through the census records if they ever became citizens. Give us as much information as you can because then it will be easier to help.

If your great grandparents did naturalize it might simplify things a bit.

I thought Italian laws were complicated, but they don't even come close to the laws in the U.S. And now with all the concerns about terrorism, it's become even more difficult. It seems that your uncles and your cousins are not closely enough related to you to sponsor you for citizenship.

You may want to look at this site from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS)

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants ... _1340.html

It's in English, though. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but if you have any more information you can share, perhaps we can figure something out.

In bocca al lupo.
[raven]
Rookie
Rookie

Post by [raven] »

Your great grandparents lived in America for a long time. Perhaps they did naturalize. If you have information on the dates they were in the country and their names, maybe someone will be able to find out through the census records if they ever became citizens. Give us as much information as you can because then it will be easier to help.
i think the same. I have the names and dates when my great grandparents come in U.S. i know the boat name, i find all in the ellis island registry website and have the copy of this too. But if i dont know how to apply this things are useless you dont think? :)
If your great grandparents did naturalize it might simplify things a bit.
I can speak with one cousin about that.
I thought Italian laws were complicated, but they don't even come close to the laws in the U.S. And now with all the concerns about terrorism, it's become even more difficult. It seems that your uncles and your cousins are not closely enough related to you to sponsor you for citizenship.
Exist only 1 uncle and much cousin that i've see only 1 time when i was 7. He dont know me and I too.

I'm going to check the website, many many thanks mler

Crepi il lupo!
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Francesco,

As advised, give us all the info you can on your great grandparents....names, birth years, children names & their birth years, when they arrived here, where they lived & will see what we can find for you.

jcsm :)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Francesco, every ten years the US does a census report, these records go back many years......

if your grandparents are found on a census report,
one of the questions asked of them is when did they immigrate to US, and are they naturalized or not.......

members here can look up these reports on your grandparents and check to see if they are listed as naturalized.

Hope this helps clear things up,
wldspirit
[raven]
Rookie
Rookie

Post by [raven] »

OOk! My Great Grandfather name was Casimiro(Name) Milza (Last Name) later (a naturalization i think) come Luigi Vollero (Vollero is lastname) My Great Grandmather name was Raffaelina Vollaro later becomed, I think, Raffaelina Vollero or Raffaela.
Using Ancestry.com (the free service) i found one Casimiro Milza Vollero in the World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Record in Union County, New Jersey and i found too my father uncle Louis S. Vollero that is dead at 1943 in Salerno as american military in World War II .
AAD Records for my father uncle Louis Vollero.
To be in World War I Registration Card need to be American Citizen no?
The names of my greatparents sons are more little bit to remember, but i tell you in the next post :)

Thanks