Platino Surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
meovino
Veteran
Veteran

Platino Surname

Post by meovino »

My great-great grandmother was Amalia Platino, born in Palma Campania, Napoli, Italy. I have posted about her before, but here's a quick summary. She married my great-great-grandfather in 1912 in NYC. On their marriage record, it says her parents were not known and that she was born in Italy. The only Amalia Platino I could find that immigrated to the USA was in Nov 1911. However, when she came over the USA, it said she was going to meet her brother Lorenzo and she was leaving her mother Teresina behind in Palma Campania. The problem is that this Platino surname was not the same surname used by Lorenzo or her other siblings, they all used the surname Peluso on every other record except the passenger list.

Anyway, I haven't been able to confirm anything, but my best hypothesis at this point is that Amalia was in fact born in Palma Campania but she was a foundling, and likely "adopted" or taken care of by this Peluso family?

I guess my question is this: is Platino a common surname for foundlings in the Napoli area or Italy in general? The surname itself doesn't seem to be common at all, but I have found a few other cases with individuals with the Platino surname whose parents were also not known. I'm not really sure what it means either.

Any input whatsoever would be of great help.

For reference:
Marriage Record: https://a860-historicalvitalrecords.nyc ... ew/8742990
Passenger List, Line 27: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 3AJJGY-PZQ
Matt
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Platino Surname

Post by Tessa78 »

On the arrival manifest
(your link does not appear to work - so I have posted the link at Ancestry here)
https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/co ... 4008850822

Amalia's mother's name is listed as "Teresina Platino" - and her brother Lorenzo is also with surname Platino.

So... you are saying that ONLY on the arrival manifests do they use the Platino surname? But used the Peluso surname in US?

A thought...
Travel documents were based on the birth act - perhaps they were born as Platino, but used their father's surname in USA? Italian women kept their maiden names. Amalia's mother is Teresina Platino which was most likely her maiden name...

Have you located the birth act of the brother Lorenzo to see what that says?

T.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi meovino,
Lorenzo arrived with Peluso surname on 21 apr 1911, and joining to brother Alfonso and leave father Domenico in Palma Campania.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 3AJJK1-4ZZ

Alfonso was born abt on 1885 and arrived in USA on 1904 and joining to his uncle Francesco Saviano
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... 3AJFBZ-DJH

In Palma Campania on old civil records, no one Platino but by Alphonso Peluso genealogic tree on ancestry.com, and you are the owner, Teresa maiden name was Saviano.
The husband, the first husband I think, it was Domenico Achille Peluso born on 1855 in Palma Campania.. I found a Teresa Saviano born in Palma Campania on 11 Nov 1859 daughter of Michele and Anna Amodeo, and maybe she was the mother of Alfonso and Lorenzo https://www.antenati.san.beniculturali. ... 21/5VDXlVw

So, the only explanation possible is the Domenico Achille Peluso died, Teresina remarried and the second husband adopted just the daughter....

or, and better second option, more probable, Amalia was the foster child of Teresina... Amalia had Platino surname at birth, most probably she was a foundling and she was raised by Teresina.. never adopted legally... the fact that on the ship's manifest the mother name was Teresina platino don't means nothing because could be a misunderstanding due to the different language..

Just a suggestion...
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
meovino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by meovino »

Tessa78 wrote: 05 Aug 2022, 23:34 So... you are saying that ONLY on the arrival manifests do they use the Platino surname? But used the Peluso surname in US?

A thought...
Travel documents were based on the birth act - perhaps they were born as Platino, but used their father's surname in USA? Italian women kept their maiden names. Amalia's mother is Teresina Platino which was most likely her maiden name...

Have you located the birth act of the brother Lorenzo to see what that says?

T.
Hi T,
The Platino surname is only used on the arrival manifest as well as her marriage record. The records involving her 6 children all use a conglomerate of different names for her whether it be on the children's social security or birth records. Paterna, Patrina, Paluso are among the names used... there is no consensus whatsoever.
I have been able to find Lorenzo's (parents') family in Palma Campania -- Domenico Achille Peluso and Teresina Saviano. I know for a fact Amalia lived with her 'siblings' Lorenzo and Alfonso before her marriage to Raffaele, but the question still remains if she is related to them or not. I hope to evenaully acquire her birth and/or baptism record in Palma Campania, assuming it is there, but I am currently in the proccess of acquiring her death record in New Jersey. It's a very long story, but there is information online that states her brother Lawrence Peluso (I'm assuming that's Lorenzo) filled out her death record, so that should be a pretty good source of her parents' names... or lack thereof.

It's just interesting that this Platino surname seemed to be used for several individuals who also were of unknown parents.

There is also information in a family bible by one of Amalia's daughter's that her mother was in fact adopted by this Peluso family, but I just haven't been able to confirm anything, nor did I fully believe it at first given all of this other information (and the fact that Amalia died very young, around 30 years old)
Matt
meovino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by meovino »

suanj wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 08:56
In Palma Campania on old civil records, no one Platino but by Alphonso Peluso genealogic tree on ancestry.com, and you are the owner, Teresa maiden name was Saviano.

or, and better second option, more probable, Amalia was the foster child of Teresina... Amalia had Platino surname at birth, most probably she was a foundling and she was raised by Teresina.. never adopted legally... the fact that on the ship's manifest the mother name was Teresina platino don't means nothing because could be a misunderstanding due to the different language..
Hi suanj,
As I just mentioned to T, there is information in a family bible by one of Amalia's daughter's that her mother was in fact adopted by this Peluso family, but I just haven't been able to confirm anything, nor did I fully believe it at first given all of this other information (and the fact that Amalia died very young, around 30 years old).

That would likely make your second option true. I just didn't fully believe it at first because I have a lot of conflicting information... I hope acquiring Amalia's death record soon will answer some questions.

Thank you for your input!
Matt
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Happy to help!
The her true name was Amalia Platino, because the ship's manifest was made by passport, so no doubts abt that.
He probably felt really part, in a sentimental sense I mean, of the family, and he wanted to forget his origin. As I said, the second option was almost the norm in these cases, that is
It had NOT been legally adopted, in fact it retains the surname Platino and not Peluso. These foundling children were entrusted to families who requested them and wanted to raise them. Then when they reached adulthood they were free to detach themselves from the family in which they grew up and often ran away even as minors, because they were treated badly, and raised as servants. Or it could happen the other way around, that is, it was the family that raised them that sent them away if they became problematic young people. From how I analyzed the records, clearly Amalia had been well liked in the family, treated well, and fond of the "brothers" so much that she, apart on marriage certificate, then she wanted to bear the surname Peluso and not Platino..

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
meovino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by meovino »

I had mentioned that I had found several other cases of individuals with the surname Platino who also had unknown parents. I just found this more specific case of Augusto Platino in Triggiano -- which is near Bari, obviously nowhere near Napoli where Amalia was born, his "birth" was noted in parte ii in 1889. I can't seem to make out the entire record, but from what I can tell is that someone found this child and that he was given the surname Platino. It really seems like Platino was a surname given to some foundlings for whatever reason; it means platinum in English, but I can't seem to think of any reason why this would be a surname given to foundlings. It's not as obvious as something like Esposito or D’Ignoto.

https://www.antenati.san.beniculturali. ... Ze?lang=en
(#4, top left)
Matt
meovino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by meovino »

meovino wrote: 06 Aug 2022, 14:56 I am currently in the proccess of acquiring her death record in New Jersey. It's a very long story, but there is information online that states her brother Lawrence Peluso (I'm assuming that's Lorenzo) filled out her death record, so that should be a pretty good source of her parents' names... or lack thereof.
I have just acquired Amelia's death record... and now I am even more confused. The parents listed are the same of Lorenzo/Lawrence: (Domenico) Achille Peluso and Teresa Saviano. How likely is it that the brother put the "adopted" parents names given how close they were? I feel like I won't be able to confirm anything without a potential birth/baptism record. For now, I'm still sticking with my gut feeling that she was a foundling.

p.s.: We are going to ignore the cause of death :lol:
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt