Meaning of a name in a record

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
gae

Meaning of a name in a record

Post by gae »

Hello. I would like to know what "da Muezze" in this record from Family Search means, or if it is a place, where is it? My great-great grandfather is Antonio Picco but there are so many of them! This record matches many factors but when asking relatives that are still in Flaibano, they do not know what da Muezze means. My grandfather had a name attached to him, so I wonder if it is a nickname for my great-great grandfather? Why would it be in the record?
Thank you
Evy
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 2.01.41 PM.png
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Meaning of a name in a record

Post by suanj »

the only name similar is Muezza, a street of Tarcento town, maybe in the old past the place was called Muezza. Tarcento is just 35 minuter by car from Flaibano... frankly "da" means a place where he came from, but Muezze is wrong and the only similar is a street name in Tarcento
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
gae

Post by gae »

Thank you for the information.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

It's also possible its a 'sopranome' used to differentiate the various branches of families with the same surname.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
gae

Post by gae »

If this is a "sopranome", what does it mean? If Flaibano is the home town, then how can it be a street in Tarcento? If not an area, is there another meaning for this word?
Thank you
Evy
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Evy, can you please post the document/s that include the name "Muezze" in them. When we read the word "da" before a name it often is referring to the name of a town. It is quite possible that someone has misinterpreted the script. We need to see the handwritten document, on which "da Muezze" appears, to be able to give you an informed response. Thank you.

Angela
gae

Post by gae »

Hello Angela. I have not been able to find any original documents. I have only been able to see the Family Search document that I originally posted. I have been searching!
Thank you
Evy
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

gae wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 23:19 Hello Angela. I have not been able to find any original documents. I have only been able to see the Family Search document that I originally posted. I have been searching!
Thank you
Evy

Hi there

Have you tried contacting the two people who have contributed to that tree. You should be able to send a message through to them via Family Search. Maybe ask them what their source is for "da Muezze". Interesting that one of the names of the contributors is "Morresi" Very often in Italian Civil Records the letters "r" and "z" get mistaken. They can be written almost the same. Also the letters "i" and "e" people often pronounce the same in English.

Angela
gae

Post by gae »

I will try that. Thanks for the idea.
Evy
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

gae wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 22:40 I will try that. Thanks for the idea.
Evy
All the best with that. Let us know how you get on.

Angela
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Muezza is reputed to be the name of Mohammed's favorite cat. It means cherished or comforter.

Were your ancestors Muslims? Do they have Arabic or Northern African ancestry?

Maybe it was a nickname, rather than a place name.
Pit

Post by Pit »

could be a misreading, badwriting of Tolmezzo, town near Udine.