Help re. Prison Historical Info

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
SMBToronto
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 11 Oct 2019, 02:37

Help re. Prison Historical Info

Post by SMBToronto »

I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. It seems my great-great-great-great grandfather died in a Cosenza prison in 1829 at the age of 38. Does anyone know how I might get any additional information on what happened to him? Thanks in advance.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Help re. Prison Historical Info

Post by Tessa78 »

Can you provide you GGGGGF name?

Deaths were recorded at the local level. So the death at the prison would have been declared to the local official to be recorded.
Most often they would be recorded within the book of "morti" (deaths)
But they might also be found in the "diversi"

Italian death acts do not generally state a cause of death.


T.
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5841
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Help re. Prison Historical Info

Post by PippoM »

If you want to know something about, for instance, the trial he underwent, you need someone to search in the local Archivio di Stato, where they (might) keep judicial records.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
SMBToronto
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 11 Oct 2019, 02:37

Re: Help re. Prison Historical Info

Post by SMBToronto »

Thanks so much, @Tessa78 and @PippoM .

Tessa, this is the death record written in Cosenza, where he died in prison (left page, Tommaso Bastone) : https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 30/5BPbOpV

-- and then months later, the notice was sent to his home town of Carolei in Cosenza:
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 13/5Kd7Gnd

I wonder how to track down what he was in prison for. Pippo, do you mean I should find someone in Cosenza who can physically go look up the records?

Thanks so much again! So helpful.
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5841
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Help re. Prison Historical Info

Post by PippoM »

SMBToronto wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 06:20
I wonder how to track down what he was in prison for. Pippo, do you mean I should find someone in Cosenza who can physically go look up the records?
Yes, I do. According to their inventory, they keep such records, but I don't think they (those who work at the Archive) can search for you
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
SMBToronto
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 11 Oct 2019, 02:37

Re: Help re. Prison Historical Info

Post by SMBToronto »

Thank you, Pippo! I've got someone there who's going to look into it. I appreciate your insights!
Post Reply