The 1948 rule

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Sarcia

The 1948 rule

Post by Sarcia »

My grandfather became a US citizen before my father was born in 1931, but my grandmother was still Italian. I know this means we are not qualified, but I was wondering if anyone knew WHY this 1948 rule exists? Something to do with WWII? Of course it is frustrating that we are considered less Italian because the lineage is from a woman, but did women become more acceptable after 1948? Doesn't make sense.....
wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Re: The 1948 rule

Post by wishyou »

It has something to do with the passage from Monarchy to Republic.
Is when the Italian constitution card of Republic of Italy became law.
In that card women became active and full citizens. Before they were not.
Women voted in Italy for the first time in 1946, before they were class B citizen.
Sarcia

Post by Sarcia »

Thanks for the information. Does anyone think this will ever change? I know some people have tried to fight it in court and won, but the verdicts were subsequently overturned?
wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wishyou »

I don't think that will ever change.
Actually the discussion in Italy is that citizenship is given too fast, both emigrants and immigrants, and there is a strong movement about it.
Besides, the rules there were till 1948 did not made the possibility to pass citizenship from women.

I don't know about fight in courts on this argument.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I believe that one challenge to the ruling was won but then reversed on appeal.

I, too, believe that ultimately the citizenship laws will become tighter rather than more liberal. Italy is now considering changes in the the laws governing immigration, but this, of course, has no effect on those applying jure sanguinis.

Italy has an exceptionally liberal definition of citizenship despite the fact that there are many inequities (the 1948 rule being one of them).