Where to begin?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
fortune_cxxkie

Where to begin?

Post by fortune_cxxkie »

Hello everyone,
I have read up on everything about getting my dual citizenship (my parents came to America about 30 yrs ago or so), and I know I am eligible, but my question is rather, where do I begin? My parents were never aware that we (their kids) could have dual citizenship and don't know where to begin either.

I'm a 21 yr old who lives in Philadelphia, PA if that helps :)

Thanks for any information you can provide me!
jcallori

Re: Where to begin?

Post by jcallori »

You would need at minimum:

1. Your father's birth record from Italy.

2. Either your father's Certificate of Naturalization indicating he naturalized AFTER your birth; or a statement of No Record Found from the federal government proving he never naturalized.

3. Your parents' marriage certificate.

4. Your father's death certificate (if applicable)

5. Your birth certificate

6. Your marriage certificate (if applicable)

7. The birth certificates of any minor children you may have.

ALL documents originating from outside Italy need to be in long form and be apostilled (with the exception of naturalization documents), usually by the Secretary of State of the state that issued the document.

Generally, but not always, all non-Italian documents need to be translated into Italian - this depends entirely on which consulate you are applying through. You can only apply to the consulate which covers your consular jurisdiction.

You're in a fairly enviable position only having to trace back to your parents; I had to go back to my great-grandparents, which meant A LOT more paperwork.

Send along any other questions.

Jordan
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

And your parents can regain their own citizenship (assuming they naturalized) by residing in Italy for one year.
Nello-LosAngeles
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nello-LosAngeles »

First, go to the web site of the Italian Consulate covering the area where you live. Each consulate askes for different documentation.

Next important question is naturalization. Did they become US citizens? Was it before your birth? If they did, you may not qualify. You will need certified documents on this. Go to US Immigration and Naturatization web site and get Form G -639. complete it and mail it to the Lee Summit, MO address on the instruction sheet. (This is a latest address.) This is a Freedom of Information request. Very simple to use and relatively quick turnaround time.

Jordon and mler have covered the other points.

Nello
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Nello,

I think you're mistaken about the turnaround time for obtaining a "no record" letter through the FOIA. Since my grandfather did indeed naturalize, I had no reason to make a similar request, but on various forums, posters have reported waits of a year (sometimes longer). This applies even to those who are considered "simple track."

For this reason, this should be one of the first documents requested. During the wait time, you can gather, amend, and apostille all the other necessary documents. This way, when the "no record" letter arrives, you will be ready.

Most consulates also have a long wait period for appointments, so you should make an appointment even before you have all your documents in hand.
Nello-LosAngeles
Rookie
Rookie

Mler,
You have the experience, so know better than I. I am wondering if something has changed now that this request is sent to Lee's Summit MO rather than DC? The new form is dated 11/06. I also saw something that said that FIOA requests require a reply within 20 days. Maybe my letter telling me they are working on it is the reply they mean. I have a 6 to 7 month wait on a US doc that must amended.
Nello
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Hi Nello,

I really have no personal experience with FOIA requests. My response was simply based on reports (on other citizenship forums) by people who have made such requests. One person recently wrote that he was Number 60,000+/- on a list of more than 90,000 requests.

I think the problem is the volume of requests and also the search that must be made. Unfortunately, it's sometimes easier to prove that something did happen than to prove that something did not happen.

But whether you get the letter soon or have to wait a while, you will ultimately get it, and in the meantime, you can take care of the other documents you need.

mler
Nello-LosAngeles
Rookie
Rookie

mler
Thanks for your kind words. I would not be this far if I had not had your help and that of other here.
Thanks,

Nello
fortune_cxxkie

Post by fortune_cxxkie »

thanks for all the information! once i have all the documents (which i believe i do), where do i send it to? this is the part that i'm pretty lost about. i live in philadelphia.. i know there is an italian consulate here..

:) thanks!
fortune_cxxkie

Post by fortune_cxxkie »

oh ps: i am having horrible problems finding the information on the philadelphia italian consulate.. thats what i meant by being lost :p

sorry to be so confusing here!
fortune_cxxkie

Post by fortune_cxxkie »

http://www.myitalianfamily.com/pdf/PhiladelphiaApp.pdf

i do believe i have found what i am looking for!

thanks for all the information everyone! :-)

and yes, my parents only recently naturalized.. after all this time! and after going to university in italy, i decided to finally get dual citizenship :-)
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Best of luck, Marinella. This should be an easy process for you.