spelling of names

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jolynn
Elite
Elite

spelling of names

Post by jolynn »

hello all, i wondered if anyone could help with these queries, first, my granmothers marriage certificate spells her name filicilla, i have seen it spelt felicella, pelicella and felicia, which one would you think could be most accurate bearing in mind at the time she could not read or write in english and the registrar would have taken it down from the spoken word, also on the same marriage certificate her fathers name was given as mask aquilla conte, again for the same reason what is the interpretation of the word mask in his name. thanks, take care, regards john
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: spelling of names

Post by elba »

I would suggest that much of the problem could lie with whoever 'recorded' the name in the first place. Italian handwriting is notoriously difficult to decipher with the letters 'p' and 'f' being written almost the same....the same problem also often arises with the 'e' and 'a'. Unfortunately they rarely wrote/recorded ANY names in capitals (stampatello) but used cursive/italics (corsivo).

Some time ago I seem to remember that someone posted a lmarvellous link here to an explanation of the antique form of handwiting - perhaps they'll do it again for you.

BTW - Give my love to (Great) Grimsby and Laceby...
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

I think this may be the link on handwriting that you are looking for.

http://www.comunesofitaly.org/Links/Handwriting.htm
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello elba, thanks for that, it is very informative, i have passed your regards on, today is a good day. thanks for the help, kind regards john
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello poipuo4, thankyou for the addition, i will have a good read of it. do you have any idea why my great grandfathers name would have started mask aquilla conte, its the mask part that is the confusing bit, as grandmother could not read or write english at the time she would have verbally said mask and the registrar would have written it down in the english way, could it have been masch, and does that mean mister or am i on the wrong track, thanks again kind regards john
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

As you may know, "K" does not exist in Italian, so she must have meant "Mac" or "Mach." I am guessing that Mask and Aquilla were probably one name. How about Macario? Google some sites for Italian names or Italian baby names and browse ones with "Mac." Here is one site. I would say some out loud too, which may help you guess. Perhaps one of the native Italian speakers on this page could also venture a guess.

http://www.nomix.it/700m.php
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

maybe it is Felicetta( little Felicia) diminutive.. very common....the father first name, if the "qu" is really a "qu" and no a "gn" mistaken, well it could be AQUILA, and maybe can be a trace, because Saint Aquila is the saint patron in some italian common; Aquila first name is very rare, and sure the father had this first name for saint patron's devotion, but of what town?...
instead if really it is " gn" the first name could be "Agnello" tipical of south Italy ...........just a suggestion, regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

thanks again i will do that and if any italian speakers could help it would be invaluable, thankyou again kindest regards john
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Perhaps this is too simple, but could it be Marco or Mark?
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Just a (maybe) silly thought...

Supposing it says (means)

Masc(hile) Aquilla Conte

Male - Aquilla - Count

There was a line of 'conte d'aquilla...see link
>HERE<
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

because Aquila ( right) is a first name for males, and normally in Italy only some first male mane ending with "a" maybe masch could be maschio, in the sense that Aquila CONTE seems a female name, instead is a male name..maybe being in foreign country the name was wrote with this specification... suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello all, this is very interesting, the married certificate said fathers name mask aquilla conte, and it is the same on marys marriage certificate, mary is felicias sister, also married the same year. can anyone tell me about saint aquilla, and if in any way place them to a certain area in italia, on the marriage certificate it states that aquilla is deceased, would that have any significance, regarding death mask, this is just a idea, thankyou suanj, misbris and elba, any further help would be invaluable. kindest regards john
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

john you can show us the marriage record abt mask aquila conte, maybe we can to have some other idea also... suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello suanj, how can i send copy of marriage certificate, regards john
sheronb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sheronb »

John you need to scan your cert to your pc, then using this site you can put it on this iste, and ppl can see it:

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =6035.html
Tuzi/Lombardozzi/Polsinelli/Tersigni/La Rocca/Gismondi from Sora,Frosinone.