Were My Grandfathers Ever Naturalized US Citizens?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Franco29

Were My Grandfathers Ever Naturalized US Citizens?

Post by Franco29 »

I need to find out, but don't know how to go about it. Unfortunately, I have little information about either gentleman. Both are deceased, as are my parents. Other than their names, and approximate birth years, I have little additional information.
They immigrated to NY from Italy in the early 1900's and I'm trying to determine if they ever became naturalized US Citizens. Is this a lost cause :( ?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Were My Grandfathers Ever Naturalized US Citizens?

Post by suanj »

Franco29 wrote:I need to find out, but don't know how to go about it. Unfortunately, I have little information about either gentleman. Both are deceased, as are my parents. Other than their names, and approximate birth years, I have little additional information.
They immigrated to NY from Italy in the early 1900's and I'm trying to determine if they ever became naturalized US Citizens. Is this a lost cause :( ?
:roll: sorry Franco:
I do not succeed to understand who tries and what tries, could more explicit and better detailed ...?
:roll: :roll: :roll: suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

No not at all impossible. Just go to www.ellisisland.org website and look up their arrival from Italy or if you need assistance then furnish their full names. This site will contain their place of birth and year of birth which is all you need.If you send me your e-mail address I will send you the website for determining their US citizenship. Peter
regina
Rookie
Rookie

Post by regina »

Franco29 wrote:They immigrated to NY from Italy in the early 1900's and I'm trying to determine if they ever became naturalized US Citizens. Is this a lost cause :( ?
Look for your grandfathers in the 1910, 1920 and 1930 U.S. censuses. Each of these censuses have a column for "year of immigration" and citizenship status ("naturalized or alien"). The 1920 census has an additional column for "naturalization year".

Regards,
Regina
Franco29

Post by Franco29 »

Peter, I did the Ellis Island check. I think I located the record for my mother's dad. But, when I pull up the ship manifest I can't find the specific information I need.
However, I seem to have hit a stone wall for my father's dad. I can't find anything.
Regina, thank you. I guess that would be found at the Census Bureau site?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

wht is the specific information you need??? Peter
michaelross

Post by michaelross »

I have a 1910 census record for my gggrandfather Michael Ross.

There are two columns for year of immigration and "nationalized or alien". On the 1910 census for Michael, it is noted as "al" for alien. If he immigrated in 1895 and in 1910 was an alien as opposed to naturalized, could it be that he never naturalized; or was that required?

I just learned of naturalization papers, but if he never naturalized then I am not going to look in that direction.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

He very well may have nagturalzied after 1910 since you can become a citizen at any time and also never become natuiralzied if so desired. I sent yo uinformation about the eastern pennsylvania circuit court having the naturalziation records for people within that jurisdiction who applied for US citizenship for the years of your fathers arrival inthe USA to current times.=Peter=
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Franco29 wrote:I need to find out, but don't know how to go about it. Unfortunately, I have little information about either gentleman. Both are deceased, as are my parents. Other than their names, and approximate birth years, I have little additional information.
Do you know approximately where and when they died? If so, contact that state's vital records bureau and look into obtaining copies of their death certificates. Although not 100% reliable, you will find that the death certificate will have a field labeled "Citizen of the United States: Y/N" or "Citizen of _______".
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

www.footnote.com has free 7 day trial and about 27 Michele Rossi listed as being naturalized in Eastern Pennsylvania as I advised you in your other listings. Please keep me posted. =peter=