South Africa & Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Saffa

South Africa & Italy

Post by Saffa »

My South African greatgrandfather married a woman (my greatgrandmother) whose parents emigrated from Italy before she was born. On account of said marriage would he have been eligible for Italian citizenship? They were married for decades. Is it possible for me to claim Italian citizenship in any way according to Jus Sanguinus (the right to Italian Citizenship by virtue of having an Italian ascendant) ? I am the son of a son of the son of the man who married this Italian connection. Is it true that the 1948 law is being amended to include children born of Italian mothers before 1948? If so, what is the current status and how long before one can expect any changes?
drovedo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: South Africa & Italy

Post by drovedo »

I saw this on a another site: (check with immigration lawyer on this one)

That Italian law recognizes citizenship in the womb. Another words if the woman was pregnant before naturalizing anywhere the child could be recognized as Italian citizen as Italian law recognizes life beginning at conception rather than just birth.

Worth a shot!!!
pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pastasugo »

Is it true that the 1948 law is being amended to include children born of Italian mothers before 1948? If so, what is the current status and how long before one can expect any changes?
No changes are being made to the 1948 rule.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

As pastasugo writes, the 1948 rule is intact. This means that regardless of when Italian citizenship is conferred (at birth or in utero), that citizenship can only be passed by a woman after 1948. Unless your grandfather was born AFTER 1948, you would not qualify.