Domenico Mascia in West Virginia, USA

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
angelamascia
Rookie
Rookie

Domenico Mascia in West Virginia, USA

Post by angelamascia »

Hi,
I am trying to find more information on a Domenico Mascia who lived and worked in West Virginia. He died in the Monongah mine disaster on December 6, 1907 in West Virginia. Monongah is close to Fairmont in Marion County, WV. This year marks the 100th anniversary and several celebrations will be held in honor of the decesed miners.
All I know is that he must have been in his late 20's or early 30's when he died (I'm trying to find out when he was born) and that he was married to a Marion (Mary) Emma Edith Grimm and that they had two children. I found several records of Domenico Mascia's coming through Ellis Island but not knowing exactly when he was born makes it difficult to determine which one is the right one.
My goal is to find out if I (we, my family; Mascia) am/are related to Domenico Mascia and what happened to his children and other family members in West Virginia.
If anyone can provide any information that could help me one step further, it would be greatly appreciated. Please respond all of you who know anything about the Mascia family. THANK YOU - GRAZIE!
Angela M.
mjones
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Domenico Mascia in West Virginia, USA

Post by mjones »

Angela:

1900 Census Clinton, Monongalia, West Virginia

Mary E. Grimm (b) 1887 this is the right age for your Marion (Mary) Emma Edith Grimm.

Name Age
David Grimm 38
Willie Grimm 16
Mary E Grimm 13
Etta P Grimm 9
Louis Grimm 7
Minnie Grimm 5
Dora Grimm 3
John Grimm 62
Sarah A Grimm 58

merjones
FERRI - PROVENZANO - GUADAGNI - MARINESI - LARUSSA
angelamascia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by angelamascia »

Hi Merjones,

Thank you for your reply. I think you find Domenico's spouse. I am having a hard time locating any census information on Domenico Mascia in 1900 Census, which brings me to the conculsion that he might arrived later than 1900 to WV and therefore is perhaps listed in another state. Since he died in 1907 he wouldn't figure in the 1910 Census.

Thank you!

Angela
mjones
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mjones »

Angela:

This seems the most likely Domenico Mascia from the Ellis Island records. He arrives before 1907, is traveling to NY and his cousin Matteo Costello and he is of marriageable age. This would make his birth approx. 1888.

First Name: Domencio
Last Name: Mascia
Ethnicity: Italy South
Last Place of Residence: S. Croce
Date of Arrival: Dec 04, 1906
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Citta di Napoli
Port of Departure: Napoli

merjones
FERRI - PROVENZANO - GUADAGNI - MARINESI - LARUSSA
angelamascia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by angelamascia »

merjones,

If this is the Domenico Mascia I am looking for then he actually is from a neighboring town from where my Mascia family is from. Santa Croce is very close to Colle Sannita.

Thank you very much. I will travel to the Monongah cemetery and see if I can find his grave.

Angela
collese

Post by collese »

My name is John Basile. I live in Crystal Beach, Ontario, Canada. My family comes from Colle sannita, Benevento.
In Niagara Falls, Ontario, there are many families form there. Basile, Iamarino, Tedesco, Martuccio, Iacabaccio. My mother is a Piacquadio. I have a cousin in Australia married to a Mascia. Get back to me. maybe we're related.
John Basile
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Hello Angela,
I have seen your message on the thread for the Monongah Heroine Memorial but I will reply here.

In the official report of the Monongah Mines Relief Committee which was published in 1908, the widow of Domenico Mascia was listed only as "Edith Grimm Mascia." She was still living in Monongah, West Virginia in 1908 with her two children. She had not remarried at this time. I am curious why you have the names "Marion, Mary, Emma and Edith" for this widow? Do you have documents that list her by these names also?

The original files from the Monongah disaster are held in the archives of the West Virginia University library in Morgantown, West Virginia. There is a file with each miner's name on it and everything that was known about that miner is in the file that bears his name. You should contact the library for more information. Or you can visit the library and see the file for yourself.

There will be a death record for Domenico Mascia in the Marion County Courthouse in Fairmont, West Virginia. Monongah is in Marion County just a few miles from Fairmont. The death record should list his parents' names. You can write to the courthouse or visit the courthouse to get the record.

It is almost certain that Domenico Mascia and Edith Grimm were married in the United States. Their marriage record would have most of the information that you are searching for. If you go to the Marion County Courthouse in Fairmont, you might want to search through the marriage records to see if the couple was married in Monongah.

If Domenico Mascia was Catholic, then his funeral was held in the Italian Church in Monongah, WV. This Church was called Our Lady of Pompei. There may be a record of the funeral in the church records. There were two Catholic churches in Monongah at one time and in recent years the two churches combined into one church. The records from Our Lady of Pompei should still exist in the newly combined Catholic church. You could write or visit the church in Monongah to find out more information.
Donna Pellegrin
angelamascia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by angelamascia »

Hello Donna,
Thank you very much for your detailed message of today.

I didn't know that Domenico Mascia was married at the time of his death but I found a message on ancestry.com looking for more information on his grand grandpartents Domenico Mascia, who died in the Monongah mine disaster in 1907, and Marion (Mary) Emma Edith Grimm. It appears as if Edith Grimm Mascia must be the same person referred to in the message I found on ancestry.com.

Unfortunately, I have not received any response from the author of the other message so I was hoping to find more answers here.

I certainly will go to Monongah and try to find more information and answers to my questions. Last year, I had the pleasure to travel with a group from Calabria to Monongah and visit the cemetery, and I also had the pleasure to meet with Father Briggs who passed away on December 20th of last year.

Also, I contacted Senator Prezioso, who is part of the organization committee in charge of organizing the celebrations planned for this August and October. Unfortunately, I still haven't received any response from him either.

Nevertheless, I believe to have enough information to be able to travel to Morgantown and check out WVU's library as well as all the other places you mention in your message.

Again, thank you for everything.

Angela Mascia
Surnames: Mascia, Iapozzuto, Piacquadio, Iacobacci
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Dear Angela,

Please, may I know why (other than same surname) you think Domenico Mascia is a relative?

I hope you find him! Peggy M
angelamascia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by angelamascia »

Hi Peggy,

I have sent you a pm, please read and I hope you will understand.

Best,

Angela M.
angelamascia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by angelamascia »

Dear John,
I just spoke with my mother, who still lives in Colle Sannita to see if she knows of any relatives living in Canada. She told me that her mother (my grandmother) had a brother and sister and that they moved to Argentina. Their names were Ciriaco and Maddalena Piacquadio.
Now, I don't know if your mother could be a cousin of them. Do you know by any chance? I will try to find out more about their children and if any of them moved to Canada or knows of any relatives in Canada.
Angela Mascia
angelamascia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by angelamascia »

merjones,

I know that Domenico Mascia was born in 1867 in Italy and I believe he got married on Dec. 6, 1891 in WV. This is all I know, though.

Angela
FabioP.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FabioP. »

Cara Angela,
ho informazioni su Domenico Mascia e la moglie Concetta. Sono in possesso anche di una fotografia del loro figlio Giuseppe Mascia, nato a Colle Sannita l'8 Agosto 1880, emigrato in Brasile nel 1901.
Sarei lieto se mi contattassi inviandomi una mail al mio indirizzo di posta elettronica fabio.paolucci@yahoo.it
Saluti cordiali,
FabioP.
angelamascia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by angelamascia »

Caro Fabio,
Ti ringrazio per la tua risposta alla mia ricerca e ti mandero' una email tra qualche minuto. Inoltre, vorrei anche discutere del tuo libro che stai scrivendo perche' appunto mia madre ancora vive a Colle Sannita come anche parte dei miei zii e cugini.
Ci sentiamo sulla tua yahoo e la mia gmail.
Ciao,
AngelaM.
angelamascia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by angelamascia »

To All:
I have found different entries for Domenico Mascia coming from Italy to the USA but none of them seem to coincide with the information of the Domenico I am looking for.
Therefore, if it is not too much trouble can anyone send me all the entries for all Domenico Mascia into the US? I am aware of the fact that birthyears are not necessarily correct since it says approximate year of birth.
Any help you can provide helps me get one step further in my neverending search for Domenico.....
Thank you,
Angela