Naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Natalie1
Rookie
Rookie

Naturalization

Post by Natalie1 »

I am looking at a Census for 1930 Brooklyn, New York. Under the Naturalization part, my ancestor has what looks like AL there. What does that mean? Do you know?
Thank You,
Natalie
vj
Master
Master

Re: Naturalization

Post by vj »

Natalie,
Al - should mean Alien, not naturalized.
Would have been the answer given to
the enumerator. Hopefully by a person
who knew.
Valarie

handy site for census information

quote from 1930 instructions to the enumerators:

CITIZENSHIP, ETC.
178. Column 22. Year of immigration to the United States.-This question applies to all foreign-born persons, male and female, of whatever age. It should be answered, therefore, for every persons whose birthplace was in a foreign country. Enter the year in which the person came to the United States. If he has come into the United States more than once, give the year of his first arrival.
179. Column 23. Naturalization.-This question applies to all foreign-born persons, male and female, or whatever age. Prior to September 22, 1922, a foreign-born woman became a citizen when her husband was naturalized. Since that date, she must take out papers in her own name, and if she does not do this she remains an alien even though her husband becomes naturalized. The question should be answered, therefore, for every person whose birthplace was in a foreign country, as follows:
180. For a foreign-born male 21 years of age and over write "Na" (for "naturalized") if he has either (1) taken out second or final naturalization papers, or (2) become naturalized while under the age of 21 by the naturalization of either parent.
181. For a foreign-born female 21 years of age and over write "Na" if she has either (1) taken out final papers, or (2) become naturalized through the naturalization of either parent while she was under the age of 21, or (3) if she became naturalized prior to 1922 by the naturalization of her husband. (See par. 179.)
182. For a foreign-born person under 21 years of age write "Na" if either parent has been naturalized. This applies to infants and young children as well as to older persons under 21.
183. For all foreign-born persons who have not been naturalized but have taken out first papers write "Pa" (for "papers"). Note that a person must be at least 18 years of age in order to take out first papers. Minor children should not be returned "Pa" merely because their parents have taken out first papers.
184. For all foreign-born persons neither naturalized nor having first papers, write "Al" (for "alien").
Natalie1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Natalie1 »

Thank you Vj! When it comes to geneaology, I'm realizing that you learn something new everyday, especially on this forum, you guys are so knowlegable! :D
Natalie
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

keep in mind that the census is heresay, someone comes to the door and you give them answers there is no proof or anything... I always assumded that my great grandfather natualized from the census and family lore...... NO never did phew thank goodness.......
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Census info is a useful tool in locating a family, but the info contained in the reports should be used as a general guide, not the absolute truth.
Mistakes within these reports are a given.....maybe the census taker misunderstood the accents, maybe the person giving the info declined to be honest, often seen with ages..... :P and for sure.....the census taker did not have to be a spelling bee champ......always consult and obtain primary records to back your findings.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

wildspirit yes you put it in a more polite way, thank you. I was a bit blunt
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Just gave a more detailed view, yours was not blunt at all... :)
And the word hearsay is a perfect fit......but believe it or not, many, even professional researchers, look at the census as gospel...... :?
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

when i found errors in birthdates in the census, that is when I became suspicious , but it is a great tool, still as you say you must check it out!
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

by the way, am i correct is getting the FOIA, no record found before I start collecting documnets as the birth cert ect are only good for six months or is it two years?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I believe you can start getting your documents now and that the six-month time period only applies to getting apostilles. So if you get a birth certificate in the mail next month, in most states you would have six months to get the apostille. Your documents will then be ready for submission when you finally receive your "no record" letter.
pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pastasugo »

In LA we applied with several apostilles over 6 months old. They didn't care. Maybe the 6 month limit is another urban legend?
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

thanx