Grandfather's Naturalization Record

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ande
Rookie
Rookie

Grandfather's Naturalization Record

Post by ande »

Greetings Forum Members!
Can anyone help or direct me with this? My grandfather arrived at Ellis Island in 1896. He appears on the 1930 US census with the code NA. According to the public library that has a different subscription to Ancestry.com, there is no date given for naturalization. My father was born in US 1/13/15. I have an email to The National Archives in NY who said they have ALL the naturalization records from 1914-1982. I figure that if he does not appear in their records then he would have been naturalized prior to my father's birth and so I would not be eligible Jure Sanguinis. His name was Cataldo Puleo but Ellis Island has his first name as Castaldo. He lived in Newark, NJ all his life and died 9/4/53.
QUESTION
Does anyone know of a better way to find out the date of naturalization?
Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Ande
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Re: Grandfather's Naturalization Record

Post by Poipuo4 »

See if there is anything here that may help:

http://www.njarchives.org/links/webcat/ ... atura.html
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi Ande and welcome to the forum :D !

It appears from his 1920 census
that he and his son both naturalized
in 1904.
1930 census
1920 census
edit: added
1910 census

Depending upon where they lived,
the records may be at the local
courthouse
where to find naturalization records
Also, they may be on microfilm,
check your local Family History Center
Family Search
(can use this link to check the library)
ande
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ande »

Thanks VJ. Although this is disappointing news as it means I can't qualify for citizenship Jure Sanguinis on my father's side. My mother's side is still a possibility but more complicated.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Ande, please let us know if there's anything
else we can do to help!
Valarie
ande
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ande »

There may be something. On my mother's side it seems that her father went by TWO different names. The correct name was Angelo Masino but somehow one of his sons thought that Messina was better and so depending on when and where it may vary. My mother's maiden name on my birth certificate is Messina, this could be a problem. Angelo Masino and his wife came through Ellis Island and his wife went by the name of Rosa, but this may have been a nickname. My mother was born in New York 2/28/ 1916 and I believe her given name was Giusepina but she went by Jean and this is on my birth certificate. The family then went to Elizabeth ,NJ where my mother grew up. As far as I know after Ellis Island Angelo and his family went to NYC-Little Italy before moving to NJ. I'm going to get the cemetery info. and take it from there. There's a good possibility that Angelo was not naturalized before my mother's birth but am I on a wild goose chase considering the discrepency in the last name?
Thanks again. Ande
ande
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ande »

P.S. Angelo and his wife came from Sala Consolina in Salerno and had at least one child born in Italy but I'm not sure if he came over with them at the same time. Also, I'm not sure if Sala Consolina was their last residence. How common was it for the immigration officer to list the wrong town or just list it from an Italian train ticket or something?
ande
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ande »

Another word of thanks to VJ. I just wanted to really thank you for researching thta information for me. It was very kind and I really appreciate it. Ande
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Angelo Masino/Messina b 4 Jun 1881/2

Hi Ande!
I'm so glad we could help :D .
Quite a few experts here on jure sanguinis citizenship
You might consider reposting your question under
the Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and
Italian citizenship
section of the forum.

edit:added
Are you looking for dual citizenship under this rule?
Your mother was born in the USA,
her father was an Italian Citizen when she was born
and you were born AFTER January 1, 1948
and neither of you renounced your rights to Italian citizenship

According to Angelo's 1918 WWI Draft Registration Card,
he was a non-declarant alien.
Note two different names used by Angelo & two
different birth years.
1918 WWI Draft Registration Card
1942 WWII Draft Registration Card
page 2

edit added:
still claimed alien status in 1930
1930 census
page 2
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Angelo and his wife came from Sala Consolina in Salerno
and had at least one child born in Italy but I'm not sure if
he came over with them at the same time.

Rose Ferricelli & 3 Masino children
all born in Sala Consilina Salerno
doesn't indicate in US before
1912 manifest
page 2
special inquiry page
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Angelo Masino
traveling with sister
born in Sala (Consilina)
possible naturalization notation: 2-674429-1/11/40
1910 manifest
page 2
special inquiry page
ande
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ande »

VJ, Wow Thanks Again! How much of a problem do you think it will be for me to prove he was my grandfather? Two different names etc. My birth certificate says Messina but I don't have any other documents yet such as my mother's and grandfather's birth certificates etc.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Ande, if I understand your question correctly, you are concerned that the name on your grandfather's birth certificate is not consistent with the name on your mom's birth certificate. Also, your mom's birth certificate name is not consistent with her name on your birth certificate.

If both birth certificates originate in NYC and you have an original birth certificate (from parent and grandparent), you can request that the birth certificate be amended. That is--your grandfather's birth name can be put on you mom's birth certificate, and your mom's birth certificate name can be put on your birth certificate.

I did this with my own birth certificate, but in was a first-name change, not a surname. You can contact Vital Statistics my telephone, mail or e-mail, and they will let you know the specific procedure.

I got the sense in NY that the birth certificate change is sufficient, but realistically the consulates can also ask for amendments on the marriage certificates. It is the birth certificate, however, that provides the definitive connection.

Try this link for the form and instructions:

http://home2.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads ... orrect.pdf
ande
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ande »

Mler, Thanks for the info. My mother was born in NYC but I don't have her birth certificate yet so I don't know which name is on it. I was born in NJ. If the name on mine and my mother's match but not my grandfather's Italian birth certificate then would I need to, and be able to amend mine and my mother's? It's likely that my grandfather's naturalization document finally got it correct as Masino but at this point all this is conjecture.
HELP! Where do I start? Ande
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Ande, I've no experience with NJ documents, but I don't doubt that you can amend it if you need to do so. Best to get your mom's birth certificate first so you know exactly what you are dealing with.