Translation of US Documents for NYC Consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Nocta

Translation of US Documents for NYC Consulate

Post by Nocta »

The information sheet from the NYC Consulate web site states that my father’s and my birth certificates and marriage certificates must be translated into Italian. Can anyone in the NY/Long Island area give me an idea of the price range and suggest some translators?

Also, I read somewhere that the translations must be accompanied by a “certificate of accuracy.â€
mler
Master
Master

Re: Translation of US Documents for NYC Consulate

Post by mler »

I have no personal experience with this, but I believe that NY requires the translator to simply state that the translation is correct. I would have this statement notarized, but I doubt an apostille is necessary.

When I was at the consulate--a bit over a year ago--they were not requiring translations, but I have them now ready just in case they ask. I did my own.
NOLA
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Translation of US Documents for NYC Consulate

Post by NOLA »

Hi Nocta,

When I went to the consulate Nov. of 2006, they gave me a list of approved translators. I used Stefano Nicoa Mura. His e-mail is stefano_mura@hotmail.com. You can say he was recommended by Patricia and Martin Sandler. You should ask him if he is still on the approved list. By the way the only things I had to translate were the Divorce Decree and Letter of No Contest. I hope they don't kick the application back and then say I have to do the other documents. I could have had them done right from the start. There is a new Consulate General in NY. We will see. Good luck!