Italian citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Italian citizenship

Post by Sirena »

I have my grandfather's original naturalization paper. On it, it states the names and ages of his minor children - my father and uncle. They were born in the US but were obviously born to an Italian citizen. Is that good enough for me to use to request citizenship?
mler
Master
Master

Re: Italian citizenship

Post by mler »

It means you qualify, but you will need more documents:

grandfather's birth/death (if applicable)/marriage certificates
father's birth/marriage certificates
your birth certificate (marriage if applicable)
children's birth certificates (if applicable.)
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

I have originals of those documents. Thank you for your reply.
DeborahLar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeborahLar »

For those of us who are fairly new to the subject can someone tell us who qualifies for dual citzenship? If my grandfather became a US citizen didn't he basically give up his Italian citizenship? Would my parents qualify to be dual citizens?
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

DeborahLar wrote:For those of us who are fairly new to the subject can someone tell us who qualifies for dual citzenship?
Unfortunately there is no simple answer to this question. Go to this website and read the materials at least three times. It's complicated! It took me several days to really understand it. Good luck!
http://www.myitaliancitizenship.com/ind ... cation.htm
Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Sirena wrote:I have originals of those documents. Thank you for your reply.
Sirena, if you have the originals of the Italian documents, it will be helpful.

Unfortunately, you will need new copies of the documents issued in the U.S. Request them in long form, suitable for apostille. Most states will not provide an apostille for documents issued many years ago.

Deborah, if your grandfather naturalized, he did indeed give up his Italian citizenship. BUT, if his children were born before he naturalized, he passed citizenship to them at the time of their birth. This situation generally means that he gave up citizenship for himself, not for his children. If his children were born after he naturalized, he had no Italian citizenship to pass on to them.
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

I have the original Italian birth certificate for my grandfather. He was married in the US & my father was born here. Thanks.