Finding Birthplaces / Naturalization Records

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
davidlatour
Rookie
Rookie

Finding Birthplaces / Naturalization Records

Post by davidlatour »

Hey Everyone,

I'm new here and am just starting to look for the documents necessary to obtain Italian citizenship. From the research I've done so far, I understand that I am able to obtain citizenship through my great-grandfather on my father's mother's side. My father was born in November of 1948 so I believe I qualify in this respect.

I currently have my grandmother's birth certificate as well as my great-grandparents (the ones i'll be claiming citizenship through's) marriage certificate; however, they were married in the US after they immigrated. Here is the information I have so far (I included their americanized nicknames in parenthesis as they sometimes used these on documents):

My Paternal Grandmother: Giovanna ("Jenny") Campaniello Born January 10, 1924 in Worcester, Massachussets

My Paternal Great Grandmother: Rosaria ("Rose") Ferraro, Born 1891? somewhere in Italy

My Paternal Great Grandfather: Frank Campaniello , Born 1889? somewhere in Italy. (note: i assume his birth name was actually "Francesco" but haven't found any information to verify this)

Great-Grandfathers other children (my Grandmother's siblings):
Louise Campaniello
Michael Campaniello
Nofi Campaniello
Marie Campaniello
Francis Campaniello?
Charlie Campaniello?

On my Great-Grandparents marriage certificate i got the following information from which I estimated their birthdays:

Rose Ferraro (20) and Frank Campaniello (22), Married December 7th, 1911 at Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church in Worcester, MA.

Now the problem I am facing is that on all the documents I have been able to obtain, the only stated birthplace is "Italy." This is obviously an issue since I need to request the birth certificates from the proper commune/province. Could anyone help me with this?

Likewise, I haven't been able to find any naturalization/ immigration information on my great-grandfather. I know he never spoke english so it's unlikely he even became a citizen; however, my Grandmother said she thinks she might remember them taking citizenship classes when she was young, but is unsure of this. Whats the best way for me to get this info?

And finally, one last question: What documents should I be focusing on obtaining first? I understand that some of them take months to receive, so I want to make sure I'm approaching this in the most time effective manner.

Thanks so much for the help!

David
vj
Master
Master

Re: Finding Birthplaces / Naturalization Records

Post by vj »

Now the problem I am facing is that on all the documents I have been
able to obtain, the only stated birthplace is "Italy."
This is obviously an issue since I need to request the birth certificates
from the proper commune/province.
Could anyone help me with this?

David,
With a little luck we may be able to find the town in Italy
by pulling up some of your g-grandparents US census records.
The information on the census may lead to their ship's manifest(s)
or your g-grandfather's WWI/WWII Draft Registration cards -
one of these may have the town of birth.
Valarie

examples:
possible 1930 census
19 Berkeley Street, Worcester
Frank immig 1906
Rose immig 1910

possible 1920 census
20 Berkeley, Worcester
Frank immig 1907/8?
Teresa (Rose?) immig 1910
---

possible 1942 WWII Draft Registration card
Born in Vieste (Foggia, Apulia)

possible 1917 WWI Draft Registration Card
davidlatour
Rookie
Rookie

Post by davidlatour »

Thanks alot! that looks like him. My grandmother also just mentioned that my great grandmother was from Calabria, but she has been known to mix things up :-)
Surnames: Campaniello - Ferraro - Paliano - Basile - Benvenuto - Rigieri
davidlatour
Rookie
Rookie

Post by davidlatour »

I think this might be my great-grandmother, but i need a little help reading this document:

1910 Boston Passenger List

If you look at line 20 under "Teresa Ferraro", it looks like it says "sister" and "Rosaria." Also, it looks like it has her city of birth as "Acri" which is in Calabria. Am I reading this wrong?

Thanks!

David
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

That's what I see. Acri is last residence
davidlatour
Rookie
Rookie

Post by davidlatour »

Does anyone have the websites or addresses for these provinces?

Also, would someone with access to a database check to see if there is any naturalization record of my great-grandfather, Frank Campaniello?

Thanks!
Surnames: Campaniello - Ferraro - Paliano - Basile - Benvenuto - Rigieri
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

database check to see if there is any naturalization record

try footnote
davidlatour
Rookie
Rookie

Post by davidlatour »

vj wrote:database check to see if there is any naturalization record

try footnote
I just spent awhile looking for his records without any luck, but i noticed that the Massachusetts Naturalization index on footnote only covers to 1929. Is there any other place for me to check that covers to a later date? If not, would it be a bad idea to just put in a request for his certificate of naturalization through mass-doc.com and risk them not finding it?
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

Ciao!!!I'm a Italian guy!my surname is CAMPANIELLO!!I born in Rome..but my granfather is borned in Cerignola (Brindisi)...if you like meet my..call me!
My e-mail is Workness_23@hotmail.com

Sorry for my very bed English!!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Caro Enzo se vuole cercare persone col suo cognome Campaniello sceglie www. paginebianche.it and mette il cognome nella prima linea e Cerignola nella terza linea clicando CERCA e vedra che ci sono 20 ditte e persone in Cerignola per nome, indirizzo e numero di telefono. Se ha bisogno di qualche informazione di piu di sua propia famiglia ci fa sapere. =Peter=
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

si vorrei sapere se ci sono dei Campaniello negli stati uniti o nel mondo...mi piacerebbe conoscerli...grazie
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Per tutto il mondo www.numberway.com......pero in Italia ci sono 95 citta, paese etc con persone che portono il cognome Campaniello. Va a www.gens.labo.net per trovare dove stanno abitando in questo momento in Italia. =Peter=
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ciao Enzo cerchi i Campaniello originari di Cerignola? o dell'Italia in genere? per sapere di più dovresti sapere dove vivono, e quindi da qui
http://www.whitepages.com/search/FindPe ... ime=survey
hai i nomi, indirizzi e numero di telefono, e magari gli scrivi...
su questo forum l'unico che abbia nel suo albero genealogico il cognome Campaniello è l'autore di questo topic, che però parla inglese.... quindi forse puoi scrivere in inglese...

for davidlatour:
Enzo is a Campaniello born in Rome, but the parents born in Cerignola town( Foggia province- and no Brindisi- Apulia region) .. Enzo wish to speak with you...

regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH