Surnames: Antonio (Intogna), Platto, and Serio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
AngelaM

Surnames: Antonio (Intogna), Platto, and Serio

Post by AngelaM »

I have recently started geneology research on my Italian ancestors. My Mother's maiden name was Antonio. Her father was an Antonio. After looking in local church records, I found my Great Grandparents with the last name spelled Intognio. However, I haven't been able to find anything on the web regarding this surname. I know that my Great Grandparents were naturalized around 1900 or 1901. They settled in Ensley, AL (referred to as "Little Italy" by locals) and Bessemer, AL. And, they are supposed to be from Bisacquino, Sicily.

My other relatives, my grandmother's side of the family, were Platto and Serio. Her maiden name was Serio. And her mother's maiden name was Platto. I'm not sure if they were all from Sicily or not. I suspect they were.

I haven't yet found the ships where they migrated to the U.S. I suspect they came in through New Orleans, LA, but I haven't yet researched those lists in detail. I have looked through the Ellis Island lists and the Italians to America lists and only references for the surname Serio. I didn't think those mentioned were my relatives.

If anyone has any information on these surnames, I would be most greatful for any information that you can provide. Especially, for Intognio. I have not been able to find any information on that surname to date other than local church records.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: Intognio not exist in Italy..this name is misspelled for assonance italian prounonce (dialectal) Antonio... More: Serio surname is very diffused in all Italy, Platto mostly in Lombardia region..Please let me known first name your ancestors...regards, suanj
AngelaM

Post by AngelaM »

The first names I have are:

Great Grandfather: Anthony (or Antonino) Antonio (or Intognio)
Great Grandmother: Lena (or Antonina) Marie Pincurarello (and also spelled Pecorara)

Great Grandfather: John (or Giovanne) Serio
Great Grandmother: Mary Nancy Platto

Great-Great-Grandfather: Salvatore Platto
Great-Great-Grandmother: Rosaria Platto (I don't have any idea of her maiden name)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

AngelaM wrote:The first names I have are:

Great Grandfather: Anthony (or Antonino) Antonio (or Intognio)
Great Grandmother: Lena (or Antonina) Marie Pincurarello (and also spelled Pecorara)

Great Grandfather: John (or Giovanne) Serio
Great Grandmother: Mary Nancy Platto

Great-Great-Grandfather: Salvatore Platto
Great-Great-Grandmother: Rosaria Platto (I don't have any idea of her maiden name)
Hi: Pincurarello not exist in Italy..I task exact spelling is Pecoraro..an Antonina Pecoraro from Bisacquino in travel with childs:Ignazio Intogna (not Intognio) and Giuseppa Intogna, husbond Intogna Ant. :lol:

http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/searc ... 4919060068

More Antonino Intogna...residence Brooklyn
http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/searc ... 0729010260
:wink:
For Giovanni Serio and Maria Nunzia Platto you have idea origin' s place and year of emigration?
regards, suanj
AngelaM

Post by AngelaM »

I do know that my Great Grandpa & Great Grandma Antonio traveled to the US with two of their children. Their names here in the US were Natch and Josephine. Do you think that is Ignazio is Natch and that Giuseppa was Josephine? All of their other children, including my Grandfather, were born here in the US. So there is a good chance that what you found at Ellis Island are my relatives. Grazie!!!!!! By the way, where did you find the reference to "husbond Intogna Ant." on that list. I found my other relatives but not him. He wasn't on the same page was he? One more question...is "Bisargnino" and "Bisacquino" the same place?

I do know that Salvatore Platto and Rosaria traveled to America when their son, Bernardo Platto was 10 years old. He became a Catholic priest when he became an adult and I found a newpaper article on him stating that he came from Italy with his parents when he was 10 years old. He was born April 10, 1884 so that would mean they traveled here some time around 1894. I'm know my Great Grandmother, Mary Nancy Platto was born in Italy also (again, I think it is Sicily). She was born July 18, 1889 so she would've been around 5 years old when they traveled to the US. I do not know who their other siblings were and if there were more children that traveled to the US or not.

I just found some information which may get me close on my Great-Great Grandmother Platto. I found a funeral record that has her listed as Rose Fansone. And it shows the birthplace for Mary Nancy Serio (Platto) as Sicily.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

AngelaM wrote:I do know that my Great Grandpa & Great Grandma Antonio traveled to the US with two of their children. Their names here in the US were Natch and Josephine. Do you think that is Ignazio is Natch and that Giuseppa was Josephine? All of their other children, including my Grandfather, were born here in the US. So there is a good chance that what you found at Ellis Island are my relatives. Grazie!!!!!! By the way, where did you find the reference to "husbond Intogna Ant." on that list. I found my other relatives but not him. He wasn't on the same page was he? One more question...is "Bisargnino" and "Bisacquino" the same place?

I do know that Salvatore Platto and Rosaria traveled to America when their son, Bernardo Platto was 10 years old. He became a Catholic priest when he became an adult and I found a newpaper article on him stating that he came from Italy with his parents when he was 10 years old. He was born April 10, 1884 so that would mean they traveled here some time around 1894. I'm know my Great Grandmother, Mary Nancy Platto was born in Italy also (again, I think it is Sicily). She was born July 18, 1889 so she would've been around 5 years old when they traveled to the US. I do not know who their other siblings were and if there were more children that traveled to the US or not.

I just found some information which may get me close on my Great-Great Grandmother Platto. I found a funeral record that has her listed as Rose Fansone. And it shows the birthplace for Mary Nancy Serio (Platto) as Sicily.
HI:
Natch and Josephine=Ignazio e Giuseppa(diminutive Giuseppina)
"Bisargnino" is misspelled on ellis island, more not exist this place in Italy, from reading manifest really is "Bisacquino" same place, yes!
More, please read manifest's column 16, Pecoraro Antonina it goes from husband Intogna Ant., and childs some person father!!

More: very interesting Intogna(misspelled on ellis island =Gntogna) family from Bisacquino some final destination in USA: http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2252120196
in this moment I have not found records of Platto family, I hope in future, regards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Angela file form 81 with NARA for Bernardo Platto entry into the USA. Mostlikely he came in with parents at a port other than NYC. Go to www.genealogylookups.com/narchives.htm and mail to NARA Att:NWCTB, 700 Pensulvania Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. 20408-0001 for a record of his entry into the USA. Peter
AngelaM

Post by AngelaM »

Grazie to both Peter and Suanj. You guys have been very helpful and I am truly greatful.

Suanj--do you know what Agnese translates to in English? I don't think I've seen this name before. :?:
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Agnese=Agnes :wink: suanj
AngelaM

Post by AngelaM »

Suanj-
I did some research on the other Intogna members that you found at Ellis Island. While I don't recognize those names, I did recognize some names that they were coming to the US for. Several mention Ignazio Zito. He was the father of Consetta Zito who married my Grandma's brother, Bernard Serio. So there is a link to my family with those that you found.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

AngelaM wrote:Suanj-
I did some research on the other Intogna members that you found at Ellis Island. While I don't recognize those names, I did recognize some names that they were coming to the US for. Several mention Ignazio Zito. He was the father of Consetta Zito who married my Grandma's brother, Bernard Serio. So there is a link to my family with those that you found.
Angela: :wink: I was sure!an other: Maria Intogna from Bisacquino(misspelled on ellisisland in Maria Intogua)same final destination
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0757090159
More: Antonino and Giuseppe Intogna (misspelled etc..Gutogna, but really from manifest reading is Intogna)from Bisacquino
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2788040539
More : other Giuseppe Intogna from Bisacquino
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2788050178
More Ignazio Intogna it goes uncle Antonino Intogna from Bisacquino
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0725030212

:wink: suanj
Caccamo

Re: Surnames: Antonio (Intogna), Platto, and Serio

Post by Caccamo »

I have found a marriage index record of an Anthony Intogna and Antonina Pecoraro of Bisacquino, Sicily. The time period is between 1888-1907. The history center is not open during August so the information is not available until September. Please notify me if you are interested in this record.
mmicheal

Re: Surnames: Antonio (Intogna), Platto, and Serio

Post by mmicheal »

If you see this response, I would be very appreciative of any information you can share.