brazilian passport

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

brazilian passport

Post by suanj »

Hi all: someone maybe can help me...
the question is this:
of a people, italian descendant but born in Brazil, emigrated in USA in 1928, I have the date passport (brazilian passport), the date of arrival, the immigration Visa number... but ... as to make for obtain a passport copy... ? where I must request it.. ? in Sao Paulo, Brazil ? or it are also some way for to obtain it in the USA? thanks, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: brazilian passport

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Suanj

Once they arrived in the USA did they ever leave to travel back to Brazil or anywhere else?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Suanj, I found this information on FamilySearch
(bottom of the page)
Valarie

Other Records of Departure

People desiring to leave Brazil were required to obtain passports from the Federal Police
(Polícia Federal) in each state capital.

The applicant had to provide an original copy of his or her birth certificate, two recent
pictures, a voter’s registration, an identification card, CIC (income tax information), and
a military release (required for males over 18 and under 45 years).

After completing the necessary forms the police performed a background check.

You can research these records if you can show your relationship to the person and a need
to see the records.

Useful records are:
- Permissions to emigrate (Rio de Janeiro).
- Probates of relatives who stayed.
- Police records.
- Passports.
- Court records.

The addresses for the Federal Police are:

Policia Federal (Escritório Central)
Avenida Prestes Maia, 700 Centro
05512-000 São Paulo, SP
BRASIL

Policia Marítima
Avenida Venezuela 2 - Saúde
20081-310 Rio de Janeiro, RJ
BRASIL

Departamento de Policia Federal
Rua da Assembléia 70 - Centro
20011-000 Rio de Janeiro, RJ
BRASIL
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Elizabeth and Valarie! Thanks both... the people died in USA , when he was 35 old, and never back in Brazil... abt the familysearch page, very interesting.. I wish to search in this way! Thanks a lot, kisses, Raffaella

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Aether
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Aether »

Suanj,

All the information is basically correct. One address to check : I believe that the Police Federal in Sao Paulo has moved to an address somewhere in the district of Lapa, Sao Paulo.

Some "BR passaportes" are issued for 5 years, and some for 10 years. It is important to know if the individual's passaporte was still valid at the time of his death. The BR Embassy in Wash.D.C. may be able to provide the information, but not if it was expired, in which case it is the Federal Police.

Brazillian citizens, permanent residents in the USA , with a valid "BR passaporte", are able to travel back to Brazil and to other countries, except to a few as determined by the USA (Cuba for example).
It is possible to go, but coming back.....!

Hope it helps.

Aether :wink:
"Fiori di grano.
Amici piu' di prima saremo;
Amici piu' di prima da lontano".
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

As an added attraction: e-mail to CONSULTAS@arquivonacional.gov.br and www.arquivonacional.gov.br may be of assistance as well. =Peter=
Aether
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Aether »

PeterTimber,

Have you ever been to the Arquivo Nacional ?
-----
Aether ( The one that does not shoot from the hip = A good western saying)
:wink: :lol:
"Fiori di grano.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Aether why? what happens at the Arquivo?? =peter=
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Aether thanks.. the passport sure was expired.. because the people immigrated in 1928 was of 16 old and so far I know never back in Brazil... died in Manhattan to 35 old... maybe enter the age of 16 to 35 he can have made a trip back in Brazil for to meet the parents, but it is only a last possibility.....
Thank you, regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Aether
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Aether »

PeterTimber,

I assume that prior to recommend the Arquivo Nacional, you were familiar to its mandate, collections, activities, etc. as listed on their site.

Of course all the information is in Portuguese, which may create some difficulties. Portuguese and Spanish are not really that similar....

Also, as a visitor , or user you might have been enlisted on some of the Cursos Graduados de Arquivista, or Cursos Graduados de Biblioteconomia, or even eventual Cursos de Paleografia, or possible advanced research of documents, etc. in the "Colecao Real de Don Joao VI" !

Can not figure out how the Arquivo Nacional could be a source for the problem in question!

Aether :roll:
"Fiori di grano.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Aether I was thinking in terms of their referral or advice on the question here since I have had communication with them and they are very recptive to helping out in english (archaic english but nevertheless english) "The attendance at a distance is only possible when the petitoner supplies necessary indications to the diverse accomplishment of the searh in joint registers......."

Sometimes a referral can be just as helpful as the source itself. How have you been ? =Peter=
Aether
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Aether »

PeterTimber,
The Arquivo Nacional works very much like the Library of Congress. Passports? Guess, not!

Did you know that really in the city of Americana, SP some people do speak a kind of old English? They came from the south after the end of the civil war, and Lees still there!
But, in SP and Rio its is really American business English - sometimes even phonetic!
I am very busy helping my husband with some 1600 documents ad then back to my stuff, and ready to go to Italy
When were you last there? It will surprise you the influx of chinese business in Milano, Rome, and in Calabria - where most small shops are now chinese! And they will not be assimilated as the descendants of Italians coming back! Or play calcio for the "Berlusconi Milano" either!
Ciao,
Aether :wink:
"Fiori di grano.