This is frustrating!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

This is frustrating!

Post by JamesBianco »

I was told (after mailing this past week for 14 Vital Records from MA, PA and ME at an average of $30 each) recently that there is a time limit until these records are no longer valid in the eyes of The Italian Consulate. When they arrive I still have to get Apostilles and "certified translations" for each.

Then there is the NARA and related organization letters to send out, which can take over a year from what I understand.

How do people do this, and meet the deadlines? Is there a system? I don't even have the letters to Nara sent out yet. How strict are the Consolates with the age of these records. I have a birth record which is from 2004 for my Great-grandfather from The Comune he was born in. This will not be accepted I guess. That baffles me, what could change ? He was born in 1897 and it is an official record with Comune Stamp and sig.

Can anyone share experiences with these date constraints? My Consulate will be Boston. I am about ready to give up.

Thanks
Shrugs05

Re: This is frustrating!

Post by Shrugs05 »

Are there deadlines? Do all of the Consulates have this requirement? If so, then I'm screwed. lol
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I've not heard of any expiration dates on documents, with the exception being that your documents must be recent in order to obtain an apostille.

The Italian birth certificate is no problem. You could even use the original if you had it.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

The deadlines involve how old the records are you have collected ...

ie: Birth Marriage and Death records from the US (2 years or less)
Records from Italy 6 Months or less!

Now remember the US records must contain an Apostille (certification by the Secretary of State for that particular state authenticating them for World Wide acceptance) & a translation by a reputable agency into Italian.

You have to figure in the 1+ year wait time for your letters to NARA and USIS to come back and somehow make the whole thing balance.

Talk about a juggling act!

8O
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

mler wrote:I've not heard of any expiration dates on documents, with the exception being that your documents must be recent in order to obtain an apostille.

The Italian birth certificate is no problem. You could even use the original if you had it.
I was told by italiandualcitizenship.com the record from Italy must be less than 6 months old.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Then someone should inform the consulates about that. My grandfather's record was several years old when I submitted it in NY and Newark. My other records were also fairly old, but I did get the apostilles soon after I received the documents.

Seriously, your Italian documents are not age sensitive.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

You have NO idea how happy I am that you shared that experience. I feel heaps better now.

Thank You so much :)