Looking for any known information about surname Rizzio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
familysearch

Post by familysearch »

Suanj,
Thank-you for the leads you have given me so far....it will take me some time to research through them and make some possible links to my surname. Although it is looking like from just glancing at everything that France may be of interest for me to look into....and possibly Spain....

The Gian Angelo Rizzio that was called to Milan from Spain, how would I go about seeing if he was married in Milan and also if his death was in Milan? Would they have any records of him?
Tammy
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

familysearch wrote:Suanj,
Thank-you for the leads you have given me so far....it will take me some time to research through them and make some possible links to my surname. Although it is looking like from just glancing at everything that France may be of interest for me to look into....and possibly Spain....

The Gian Angelo Rizzio that was called to Milan from Spain, how would I go about seeing if he was married in Milan and also if his death was in Milan? Would they have any records of him?
Tammy
Hi: in "Archivio di Stato di Milano" are the documents, in microfilms of same documents present in Archivio Generale di Simancas-Spain, for this years,(...years and/...years):

-Microfilm di integrazione per fondi e serie conservati nell'Archivio Generale di Simancas - Spagna
Papeles de Estado - Milan y Saboya (estremi cronologici: 1530/1706)
Visitas de Italia - Milan (estremi cronologici: 1559/1612)
Secreterias provinciales - Milan (estremi cronologici: 1560/1705)
Patronato Real - Milan (estremi cronologici: 1804/1851)

More, documents in microfilm near Archivio di stato di Milano of same documents present in Biblioteque Nationale - Paris - Department Des Manuscrits :

-Archivio Sforzesco:
(Registri sforzeschi che integrano le serie dei Registri delle cancellerie ducali del periodo sforzesco che si conservano all'Archivio di Stato di Milano - estremi cronologici: 1443/1500) (Si veda inventario di Sala di Studio VS-8)

and other..you can write to "Archivio di Stato di Milano" Director, mailto: asmi@cilea.it and ask your search..in email letter, or fax ,in italian language, you write in english your demand and I traslate in Italian , you copy and send to Archivio di Stato di Milano, hoping are some documents of Gian Angelo Rizzio..are very difficult, but "latin:spes ultima dea=Hope, last God"... on website of this Archive, for search it must ask with precision what is desired and with precision where the archivists must try, we this do not know, but Gian Angelo Rizzio was not a common person and perhaps it is easier for Archive. If the Director finds of documents, send to you an copy, but before you sendes expenses they..send me you form letter in english to my mailto..regards, suanj[/i]
familysearch

Post by familysearch »

Suanj,
I have sent you through email the email letter I have composed for the Milan archives.....please let me know if it is detailed enough or if I need to add to it in any way.......I know I say it alot :wink: , I do thank you though for all of your help. You are just awesome with the genealogy experience you have, this website is fortunate to have someone like you contributing their knowledge; along with the other contributors of course.
Tammy
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, I've reply your email..regards, suanj :wink:
familysearch

Post by familysearch »

I sent off the correspondence you translated for me...now waiting to hear back. I will let you know when I hear from them.

During the time period of immigration to America, did the Italians have a certain amount of time before they had to start their naturalization as an American citizen? If so, do you know what that time frame was? I've looked and am unable to find any documentation pertaining to that.

I found a 1920 census that is showing my Great Grandfather as immigrating to America in 1901 and that is incorrect vs the Ellis Island ship manifests. Just trying to figure out why the year would be different. Any ideas?
Regards,
Tammy
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

US citizenship was never a requirment for aliens in the USA. Certainly there were inducments for acquiring citizenship in terms of employhment or travelling to and from other countries, business and family connections etc. The website www. genealogybranches.com/naturalization.html can fill you in on the citizenship process. Census takers were most likely satisfied with an "on or about" date of arrival and might be one of several reason why there is a discrepancy. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, in my small esperience in this field, I can say that in Census I have found many discrepancies: above all on year of emigration and year of birth of emigrated..
suanj
familysearch

Post by familysearch »

:D Suanj,

I sent you an email....I finally heard back from the Milan archives...I am so excited!
Tammy
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

familysearch wrote:I sent off the correspondence you translated for me...now waiting to hear back. I will let you know when I hear from them.

During the time period of immigration to America, did the Italians have a certain amount of time before they had to start their naturalization as an American citizen? If so, do you know what that time frame was? I've looked and am unable to find any documentation pertaining to that.

I found a 1920 census that is showing my Great Grandfather as immigrating to America in 1901 and that is incorrect vs the Ellis Island ship manifests. Just trying to figure out why the year would be different. Any ideas?
Regards,
Tammy
Here's hoping the Milan document was informative. Read all the posts on this thread and would like to mention a couple of things.

On the Census data, it states under citizenship the letters "PA" meaning that he had filled out his first papers for citizenship. Because he died before 1930, it is impossible to tell if he ever was naturalized from the 1930 census. But, you had to become a citizen within 7 years of application of first papers or you had to reapply.

So, there is a chance that his paperwork is available. Probably would not have applied prior to 1913...probably was in California at the time.
This paperwork would tell you where he came from, the arrival date, what ship he took, and possibly the names of his parents.

You can check the City Directories for Chicago and see if you can track him back to his arrival. Possible only. It could help you locate in 1905 the parents of Frances. There was a Frank Scarlat listed as 22 and single in the 1880 census. Born in Ohio...the reference on the 1930 census is that her father was born in the United States...not Italy as stated in 1920. Something to consider. In both instances, a death record for Angelo and Francis might help answer some of your questions.

I tried finding a Scarlata in the 1900 census, but for some reason, I cannot access that index page...I tried about 50 times...at various times of the day.. I looked in 1910, but only a couple...a Sebastiano Scarlata and a Rosarlino...looked old enough to be the father of Francis and both arrival dates were too late for Francis to have been born in Illinois in 1883...so no help here.

The 1901 arrival date listed would not have had to be the first entry into the US...it could have been a second entry or the last time he entered. However, if it was listed by the wife, it could indicate what she thought was the arrival date based upon when they married. Look for the marriage papers...bound to be within two years of birth of the first child.

You are going to have to find additional records in America before you can locate relatives and records in Italy. Peter stated the first rule of genealogy...start with what you know positively to be true, and then work backwards up the line...only guarantee that you will be in the right branch of the family tree.

Good Luck
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Essgee: tne ancestor of Tammy was living around year 1550 in Spain and in Italy.. :? regards, suanj
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

suanj wrote:Essgee: tne ancestor of Tammy was living around year 1550 in Spain and in Italy.. :? regards, suanj
You mean she got her entire family tree back to 1500? Her ggrandfathers, father and mother and all back to 1500? Wow...that is terrific....how did she do it? What about the Scarlata family...did that come from the same area?

It is great when you get everything all at once through the mail! She must be elated. By the way, did her Angelo's father follow the naming patterns...was his name a variation of the name Samuel? If so, Frank being the second son might indicate who the Scarlata was........

Wonderful News.......

Have a great day
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: recently the posts of Tammy regarded origin of surname Rizzio. The first Rizzio of which is had news was: Giovanni Angelo Rizzio, ambassador Spanish in Italy, lived around 1550...In Archives of Milan not are identifying data, but only political data..r :wink: egards, suanj
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

suanj wrote:Hi: recently the posts of Tammy regarded origin of surname Rizzio. The first Rizzio of which is had news was: Giovanni Angelo Rizzio, ambassador Spanish in Italy, lived around 1550...In Archives of Milan not are identifying data, but only political data..r :wink: egards, suanj
Well, even so, it is a start....and now she knows the origin of the name. This too is important to her, I am sure. Thanks for the clarification.