First name different on mothers birth certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mishy
Rookie
Rookie

First name different on mothers birth certificate

Post by mishy »

I'm in the process of getting all documents together, but thought about my mothers name. She was born here in the US and calls herself Sarah, but on her birth certificate her first name is listed as Saveria. All her other documents she is listed as Sarah. Seems like all the females in her family that were named after my ggm (Saveria), call themselves Sarah. Is this going to be a problem? Is it the equivalent?
lagunacat

Re: First name different on mothers birth certificate

Post by lagunacat »

It is very normal to see the names 'Americanized'. It was a common practice so I think it is something the Italian Consulate sees a lot so should not be a problem.

As for it being the equivalent, I believe it is. Google the two names and you will see more results suggesting this.
mishy wrote:I'm in the process of getting all documents together, but thought about my mothers name. She was born here in the US and calls herself Sarah, but on her birth certificate her first name is listed as Saveria. All her other documents she is listed as Sarah. Seems like all the females in her family that were named after my ggm (Saveria), call themselves Sarah. Is this going to be a problem? Is it the equivalent?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Are you applying through your mother's line? If not, it's even less of an issue.
mishy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mishy »

mler.......I am going through my mother's line.

lagunacat.......I will google to see what I come up with.

Thanks