Mattacelli surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
peterjschroeder

Mattacelli surname

Post by peterjschroeder »

Anyone ever hear of this surname? Is it spelled correctly? Google shows nothing, it suggest Mattavelli instead. Ancestry gets like 4 hits.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Mattacelli surname

Post by PeterTimber »

Neither Mattacelli nor Mattavelli are listed inthe Italian surname dictionary and consequently are either imported from abroad and italianized or are local in origin. =Peter=
~Peter~
peterjschroeder

Ah i see. I was looking for a Mary. The only Mattacelli that ancestry list as coming over is Luigi and it was from Italy. There is also a Matacelli (1 t) that came from France, but it says they are Italian.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

It is not uncommon for many french origin surnames to have been italianized both before and after Napoleon's occupation of Italy at the turn of the 1800's since much of NWItaly was dominated by France and exercised influence in the Papal states as well. =Peter=
~Peter~
peterjschroeder

Ah i see. Thanks for your help. I had finally got one of my branches 1 up and it had to be some weird surname to stump me again :P

EDIT: Is it possible that the original spelling is Mattace? I see tons of them on the web, and they seem to all be from Italy.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Peter,

I looked the arrival manifest on ancestry.com for the only one Mattacelli listed... I believe the correct spelling was Mattarelli...
There is also Mattarello

You can use this site to see the distribution of the last names:

http://www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/

Laura :)
peterjschroeder

Ya your probably right. The r looks possible to get mixed up with a c. There seems to be some Mattarella too. And they all have links to French and Italian. Searching around i still could find a Mary Matta-anything that was married to Antonio Barretta.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Well if its MATTA anything then you might google it with title "Variations of Italy surnames beginning with MATTA" There are About 900+ items for review. Please keep us posted. =Peter=
~Peter~
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

also exist: Matarelli ( 1 T)...
where Antonio and Maria married? In Italy or in USA?
what the Maria birthyear? the probable year of emigration?
let us know, thanks,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
peterjschroeder

900+ items eh? Let you know in 20 years ha!

Yes they were married in Italy. They are the parents of the Marie Antonette Baretta (Which originally i thought was Baratta), that i inquired about a few months back. Found a family member who had both her's and Vito Nunzio Natale's parents (Who were Vito Luigi Natale and Rosa Girolamo, both of which i found nothing on).

Antonio i know for sure came over here, dropped his daughter off at an orphanage and than went back to Italy. Yet i find no record of any Antonio traveling with a Marie, Maria or Antonetta. She was around 4 of age at the time. I have no birth/death dates or places of any of the 4 parents. Vito Nunzio came over himself and his parents stayed there. Antonio and Mary would of had be born at least before 1876 as Antonette was born in 1892.

It looks like my only hope would be to connect with someone who has those people in their tree. So far no luck.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

have you tried using the following title in google.com SURNAME GENEALOGY TOWN NAME ITALY and see if the surname has been or iscurrently being researched. =Peter=
~Peter~
peterjschroeder

Don't know any town names, except for Vito Nunzio, he lived in Santeramo. Not sure if he was actually born there tho. The Girolamo surname is also a pain cause it seems people used it as a first and middle name too. Same with Natale.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,
abt:
Antonio i know for sure came over here, dropped his daughter off at an orphanage and than went back to Italy. Yet i find no record of any Antonio traveling with a Marie, Maria or Antonetta. She was around 4 of age at the time. I have no birth/death dates or places of any of the 4 parents. Vito Nunzio came over himself and his parents stayed there. Antonio and Mary would of had be born at least before 1876 as Antonette was born in 1892.
well the orphanage was in Manhattan???
the only child with similar surname and born in march 1892 was in a Manhattan's orphanage ( NY Juvenile Asylum), but the first name is Rosina... complete name Rosina Beretta...

1900 United States Federal Census
about Rosina Baretta
Name: Rosina Baretta
Home in 1900: Manhattan, New York, New York
Birth Date: Mar 1892
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Ethnicity: American
Immigration Year: Unkn
Relationship to head-of-house: Inmate
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Marital Status: Single
Residence : New York City, New York, New York

It could be possible that your Antonietta was in origin Rosina??

also a Giuseppe Beretta(Berretta) is in a orphanage ( New York Catholic Protectary) of Bronx in 1900... in same orphanage another child, italian named Frank...
I believe that this 3 children in the 2 different orphanages was siblings,

because a:
by immigration record in 1894 October, 17 -Werra ship ,
a Maria Beretta age 36, and 3 children:

Giuseppe age 8 ( so born abt in 1885/6-Frank Beretta??)
Luigi age 2 (abt 1892-Giuseppe Beretta??)
Rosalia aged 5 ( abt 1889 Rosina Beretta???...

and a Maria Beretta ( mistaken: Baratta) died in Manhattan in 1898....

I know that matching no enough, but it is a female child that I found in a orphanage and with similar surname...

I know that your Antonietta married in Illinois...
but you know where she lived in orphanage???

what are your suggestions?
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
peterjschroeder

I appreciate your help. She did have siblings. Their names i don't know, because Antonio had went back to Italy to get them, come back, and pick her up. Which i know for sure he never came and picked her back up. I've seen and heard Marie, Mary, Maria, Antonette, Antoinette, but never Rosina. Also she was born December 22 1892. Nunzio was born December 25th 1891. I asked the family member which orphanage she was in and I'm awaiting a response.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

yes it is necessary to know the orphanage name and the town, so maybe we can help better....

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH