Name inquiry from square one... Maskrod

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gloegrl1

Name inquiry from square one... Maskrod

Post by gloegrl1 »

Please forgive this in advance... I'm searching for the REAL surname of my GGG Grandfather. His name was John Maskrod, listed as born in Italy (various years in US census) but around 1818. His parents are listed as born in Italy, as well. He married in Switzerland to a Madeline Cowie, 3 children from this union all born in Switzerland, John Louis b. 1850, Mary Florence b. 1855 and Adeline b. 1860. I've had one look up for Swiss names and no luck locating Madeline Cowie, as well. The story is their house caught fire and Madeline died as a result. Father and children went back to Italy and then immigrated to US about 1862. John Maskrod may have been a mason at one time in Italy. They lived in Illinois and then settled in Kansas. John and John Louis (later called Louis) could neither read nor write, at least English. The family is listed as Maskaoni on one census, but it's because the person transcribing the info from the census couldn't read the enumerators writing. The name Maskrod and any variation (Maskrid) in the US stems from John Maskrod. My brother had DNA testing some years ago due to a paternity question, and he told me there was a Sicilian connection to our family. I have 2 older distant relatives that have been working on this for years. I'd so appreciate any thoughts or tips. I apologize for the length! :?:
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Name inquiry from square one... Maskrod

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to www.numberway.com and select switzerland and under Ch white pages put in Maskrod under what and click search for three different spellings and 27 entries about the surname maskrod. One leads to ancestry.com which reflects the 15 or so persons surnamed Maskrod. =Peter-
~Peter~
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Adeline married at Jeremiah Canty ( birth abt 1857 Shelbyville, Shelby, Indiana, USA-Irish parents: Daniel Canty and Catherine Hurly)) in 03 DEC 1889 Ottawa, La Salle, Illinois; Adeline( Addie) was born the feb 1860 in Switzerland; the parents was John Maskrond and ) Virg. Cavey ; Addie immigrated in 1862
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/ ... rompage=99
Adaline Canty died in 1905 http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~kscem ... enter.html

I believe that your John Maskrod was not of south Italy; it is probable that he was of north Italy... the italian surname spell.... Mascheroni???? Marchesi????
hoping helpful, regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
gloegrl1

Post by gloegrl1 »

Peter and Suanj, thank you both so much! You've given me some tools and hints to work with that I wasn't previously aware of! The numberway website is really useful! Every Maskrod listed on ancestry.com is a direct descendant of John Maskrod. A branch split off and moved to Washington state. I'm going to research the spelling variations from numberway.

I didn't know Addie was buried in Kansas in the same cemetery as her father and sister. I located she and her husband on a Illinois census and later only her husband. I couldn't locate a death certificate or index for her. I had seen a post somewhere regarding Virg. Cavey, but didn't really pay attention because John married twice more once he was in the US. I assumed it was one of his later wives. Perhaps Cavey-Cowie? I located Paris marriage banns 1870, with a Virginia Adelaid Cavey listed as Mother and Father unknown, (I think... I was trying to google translate because ancestry.com had Father's name listed as "de pere inconnue"). I'm not familiar enough with DNA testing to speak intelligently about it. I did question how my brother came up with Sicily.
Many thanks to y'all for all the exciting, helpful and new information!
Thanks also for answering my post and making me feel welcome. Other places I've posted have gone unanswered or the Almighty "Experts" are so snobby and condescending it's too humilating to post anything else.
Make it a great day! :D
gloegrl1

Post by gloegrl1 »

Wow, this amazing! I think I found a family that fits my family I'm searching for! Ancestry.com has the surname listed as Maechieraldo, but I have my doubts as to the spelling. It is a mannifest from a ship the Alfred Storer arriving NY July 1860. There is a Jean (he is listed as James, but it is definitely Jean), a Magdl Virginie, Jean Louis, Marie Josephine (not ledgible), Marie Aline (again, not ledgible). All the ages are appropriate. They are listed as from Sardinia and he is a farmer (which he was in Kansas). If it is my John Maskrod, I guess the story of Madeline dying in a fire in Switzerland wasn't correct. Hmmm... imagine that! Is there someone who might be able to give me their opinion as to whether I might be on the right track with this new surname or close varriation?
Again, many thanks for the previous help!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Welcome to ItalianGenealogy!!
Thanks also for answering my post and making me feel welcome. Other places I've posted have gone unanswered or the Almighty "Experts" are so snobby and condescending it's too humilating to post anything else.
Here at IG we have a fantastic team, whatever help you need just ask, our members always give a 100 percent!!
As for being snobby.....not a problem here, we all started off as newbies,
and even then, genealogy is a constant learning process......we look forward to your ongoing research!!
wldspirit :D

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

gloegrl1 wrote:Wow, this amazing! I think I found a family that fits my family I'm searching for! <a href="/http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a> has the surname listed as Maechieraldo, but I have my doubts as to the spelling. It is a mannifest from a ship the Alfred Storer arriving NY July 1860. There is a Jean (he is listed as James, but it is definitely Jean), a Magdl Virginie, Jean Louis, Marie Josephine (not ledgible), Marie Aline (again, not ledgible). All the ages are appropriate. They are listed as from Sardinia and he is a farmer (which he was in Kansas). If it is my John Maskrod, I guess the story of Madeline dying in a fire in Switzerland wasn't correct. Hmmm... imagine that! Is there someone who might be able to give me their opinion as to whether I might be on the right track with this new surname or close varriation?
Again, many thanks for the previous help!
Hi sure the ship's manifest is abt your family! the surname seeming Macchieraldo; Madaline and Virginia are 2 first name abt same wife....
now the problem is to find where they was born in Sardegna(Sardinia) isle... Macchieraldo is a surname of Piedmont region especially, but seeming that Macchieraldo surname was present also in Nice town( in the past this town was of Italy, currently in France)
regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

hi, here the 1870 census:
1870 United States Federal Census
about John Mostead
Name: John Mostead
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1825
Age in 1870: 45
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1870: Nevada, Livingston, Illinois

Race: White
Value of real estate: View Image
Post Office: Nevada
Household Members: Name Age
John Mostead 45 ( Italy)
Rose Mostead 50 ( France)
Mary Mostead 19 ( Switzerland)
Adaline Mostead 13 ( ditto)
Gillott Mostead 1 ( Illinois)
http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1870maskrod.jpg

sure they are your ancestors.. :wink:

but in 1880 census i found this probable record
1880 United States Federal Census
about John Morkwalder
Name: John Morkwalder
Home in 1880: Forrest, Livingston, Illinois
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1822
Birthplace: Switzerland
Relation to Head of Household: Self (Head)
Father's birthplace: Switzerland
Mother's birthplace: Switzerland
Neighbors: View others on page
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Cannot read/write:

Blind:

Deaf and dumb:

Otherwise disabled:

Household Members: Name Age
John Morkwalder 58 farmer
Hannah Morkwalder 52

suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

again me;
the marriage of Jean Louis Maskrod by Illinois archive:

MASKROD, J LOUIS groom
MALTHOIT, LOUISA bride
1869-07-09 marriage date
D /461 Vol./Page
LIVINGSTON marriage county

How to obtain copies of original marriage records:

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/depar ... rcopy.html

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Macchieraldo/Machieraldo seeming a surname of Cavaglià town in Biella province, Piedmont region; in 1859 Cavaglià town becoming part of Sardinia Reign.. Cavaglià is no far from Switzerland... I found some macchieraldo of Cavaglià but resident in Losanna town, Switzerland

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

:D Outstanding job Suanj!! :D
Hugs,
Lee

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
gloegrl1

Post by gloegrl1 »

Suanj!!Unbelievable! I can't believe you located that 1870 census! I have been looking for that for I can't tell you how long! Even with variations of the spelling of Maskrod!! I would have never looked at Mostead! I have been staying up far too long on the computer at night, going into work the next morning bleary eyed. Then, in less than 24 hours after posting a message here, I am supplied with so much information from y'all I hardly know where to begin! Suanj, I am so excited you believe as I do that the Macchieraldo family on the manifest are indeed my ancestors! I am so happy to learn that we are truly Italian ( Ok, most likely)!! Ofcourse, it's not in stone, but firmly set in jello, as my Father says. I am confident that I will be able to locate more information with all the legwork you've done for me!! Bless your heart for being so kind! One other thing, thank you for the 1880 census, but I'm certain that it isn't my Maskrods. They were in Kansas for the 1880 census under the name Maskaoni. Thank you for the marriage info, too. I did have that, but again, the info is incorrect. John Louis married Louise (or Louisa) Matthiot. The Matthiot family were actually their neighbors! I'm requesting that record so I can see who is listed as the parents.
I appreciate y'all so much. Hopefully I will be able to answer a question or be helpful in another way for someone sometime soon!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

thanks Lee, but it is only a little help for gloegrl1... the problem is to find the records in Italy for Giovanni Macchieraldo!

hi gloegrl1: yes the 1880 census is not abt your ancestor... I believe that by marriage act of JL Maskrod you can find more infos abt the birth town...I hope that you can find more and with additional infos maybe it will be possible to help for italian records!

hugs, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
gloegrl1

Post by gloegrl1 »

Hello! Question- Where do I start to try and locate my Macchieraldos? I've requested info on marriage of Addie Canty to learn Mother's name from state of Illinois. I requested last week, but learned I requested from wrong University. Corrected that error and still waiting for reply. How do I request something from Italy, when I'm not sure where Macchieraldo was from, what year he was born and no other family names? Especially since wife and children were supposedly born in Switzerland? The other relatives that are doing research do not believe this family is our ancestors. I believe it is. We always believed we were French. I'm not sure why these relatives have discounted what the US census say, although I know there are always many errors. Also, one relative is having a difficult time accepting that Madeline Cowie, or whatever her name was, immigrated to US with family. She was supposed to have died in Switzerland. Another issue, the passenger manifest lists John Maskrod as Jean Macchieraldo, not Giovanni. Jean isn't very Italian. :? I want to be Italian, like Sophia Loren, not French like Pepe LePew! No offense to my brothers and sisters from France. What is my next step?
Thanking all most kindly!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Jean is french version of Giovanni italian first name; I'm pretty sure abt the surname and the search.... I cannot reply your inquiries, because I know not what was the life in Italy or Switzerland of Giovanni and why he married in Switzerland... maybe he was a italian emigrant as others that came in first time in France and Switzerland and after in USA... no rare....
The surname spelling is exact, it is my idea obviously, but seeming very correct... and it are the 85% of probabilities that your ancestor was born in Cavaglià town...

now just needing of to know wher JohnMaskrod/Giovanni Macchieraldo children was born in what Switzerland town..... maybe from death records could be possible to know more details???
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH