ITALIAN POW -WWII- looking for son

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MarieJosephine
Rookie
Rookie

ITALIAN POW -WWII- looking for son

Post by MarieJosephine »

I am giving this another try. Back in February I was trying to find my father's son. He was a Italian POW in World War II and captured in Africa, in Tubruk and Libya and later taken to a camp in England. He never talked about the child, but growing up there was always a photo of this child. In his later years I learned that he had met a woman either called Hilda or Ida at this camp. My mother said she worked there on this estate and had a husband of her own who was at war. They obviously had an affair. This child is certainly very old by now, probably in their 60's. The only item I have to go on is the old photo with some writing on the back that say Standon, England (maybe where the photo was taken), and something that may be an address (3 Wil font Green) Maybe a last name- Willison.
I did receive some useful information from Peter Timber in Feb when I posted this, and did contact the Red Cross some records to find out which camp my father was taken to in England. Stilling waiting. Hope that someone will still be looking for some information on my father. I really don't know what else I could do to find the mystery woman and child who would be my half-brother. Thank you.

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: ITALIAN POW -WWII- looking for son

Post by nuccia »

Hi Marie..

I changed the size of your attachment so it wouldn't distort the thread so much. To view a larger image, just click on the picture.

Good luck and keep us posted.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
MarieJosephine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MarieJosephine »

thank you. Much better!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Marie I am sorry that the Red Cross did not get back to you favorably. I did manage to locate Standonin Straffordshire and I went to www.mappy.com and in the first box put in 3 Wil Font Green in Standon UK and up came a Postal code ST15 and when I clicked the OK button a listing of about a dozen postal codes came up with one having two numbers.... ST15OGA and leading on to ST15ONH in Standon. Perhaps if you give the local bobbies a call and ask them for some help in deifning further 3 WIL FONT GREEN and the name WILLISON something good may come of it. Give it a try. Have you tried any telephone directory listings for Willison in Standon or some alternate spelling?

Re-write to the Red Cross and ask them to get a move on your request please!!. Keep us posted =Peter=
~Peter~
gloegrl1

Post by gloegrl1 »

MarieJosephine, because I'm at a stand still with my research, I thought I'd try to help you! I hope you don't mind. I was very intrigued by your story. I took the liberty of emailing a couple of places when I was at work yesterday. I received a very prompt reply from one. Read below:

Thank you for your email of 9 April 2009. You have enquired at the right place!

I have looked at a current street atlas but have been unable to find a street named Wil Font Green, or anything similar in the village of Standon , Staffordshire. However, often in villages small rows of houses could be referred to by names locally which were not their official address. It is possible that this is the case here.

I have checked the local electoral registers for Standon for 1939 (which was valid for the years 1939-1944) and 1945 both for the address and for the surname Willson. In the neither register did we find an address anything like Wil Font Green. In the 1939 register we found one person with the surname Wilson – Winifred Wilson, whose address was given as “ Orthopaedic Hospital â€
MarieJosephine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MarieJosephine »

Tim, thank you so much for all the information. This website is really great , especially because so many people offer their help! I am not even sure that what my father hand wrote on the back of the photo is an address. It has all kinds of writing and am not sure it even makes any sense. He probably tried to write based on how it sounded in the italian pronuciation. I guess I could scan the back and have you take a look. It has my fathers name: Giuseppe Sciallis, Standon London
Then he has some writing- Sages 3 Green and under it Standon, Lriaris (maybe), then Mrs Sagenes - 3 wil font green Standon Frais, then Willisonis Hilda-who must be the woman in question. For what my mother has told me my father was assigned to work on a estate as a caretaker during the war, and this woman (Hilda or Ida) worked with her mother as a cook & servant on the same farm/estate. My father was in England during 1942 until 1946 when he was released. I guess I will know more when I receive the information from the Red Cross which can pin point exactly where he was. I appreciate all your help and I will take a look at the site you attached. I gather that you are trying to find someone also. Good luck on your research!

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

the place could be Standon Friars, Hertfordshire, England???
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
andreaqu

Post by andreaqu »

Looking at the address on the postcard it seems to be Standon Friars , Hertfordshire. There is such a place. Have you tried looking on an ordnance survy map of the area in circa 1940? Also could you access the electoral register to find who lived at the address- 3 Will Font Green. Is the name Mrs G Sages?

Good luck

Andrea
andreaqu

Post by andreaqu »

Could it be Hilda Williamson?

Andrea
MarieJosephine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MarieJosephine »

Thanks for the info, her name could be Hilda as you said. This site was helpful in giving me the web site to the Red Cross and I am still waiting for a response in finding out which camp my father was held. Once I receive that information I might be able to track the woman better.
I think I am at a standstill until then.
andreaqu

Post by andreaqu »

In the meantime, I certainly think that you would be able to obtain relevant info from the electoral register for Standon Friars in Hertfordshire. Perhaps the names on the postcard (mrs Sager/ Hilda Williams??) would be listed at the address 3 Will Font Green. An ordnance survey map would be able to tell you if such an address existed during the 1940s. Don't know the website address but i have looked at such maps and they are available online!

I hope you are successful in your search. i've read many appeals for info from children born to POWs but never the families of the POWs searching for children. Your story is quite inspiring!

Andrea
MarieJosephine
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MarieJosephine »

Andreaqu, I will certainly give it a try. I had stopped trying for a while because I found deadends trying to search England sites becasue I am in the US. I may try calling the red cross to see what the hold up is in getting the information I need.
I am always hoping that the right person may read my posting someday and everything will fall into place. They say I am a dreamer!
If you found this story inspiring, you should read my other posting (Looking for Giuseppe LoPrete) if you can find it- read the end. That really made me understand that sometimes it takes time and then everything falls into place for a reason.

In reference to this search, if you happen to know of any good sites for england that may help, certainly let me know. Thank you for your interest. Are you searching also?
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Marie Josephine,
this is where you should write for the Red Cross records:

Red Cross.
If you did already you have to be patient as they say they'll answer in three months but it's going to take longer as they had a sudden increase on requests. If you don't get any answer by the end of summer try and submit again specifing that you sent a previous request on......

On this other site you will find a list of POW camps in UK. Many people leave messages on their forum and several look for step brothers/sisters:

Island Farm

Another site where you can post a request to find info on the camp is:
Archeology and Pow Camps.
They have been very helpful with me.

Hope you'll find something.

Ada
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

Hi, I think the place you are looking for is:
Well Pond Green, Standon, Hertfordshire.

This is a small hamlet very near to Standon which is itself a small village.
It looks as though there are only a few houses in Well Pond Green.

If you search on Google on "streetmap.co.uk/place/standon_friars"
it will bring up the exact map you need.

Hope this brings you a little closer to your "family". Good luck.

Seraphina
andreaqu

Post by andreaqu »

i posted a message some time ago. i am searching for my grandfather who was an Italian POW based at a camp in Lincolnshire .From reading the ICRC website i think that, without a name, i will be unable to find a list of POWs in the area. i am hoping that i will find someone locally who remembers the POWs. I have contacted many sources but can obtain no official records with a name.

Andrea