Maybe Looking for Lost Comune?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
jschotz
Rookie
Rookie

Maybe Looking for Lost Comune?

Post by jschotz »

Hello there! I am hoping that some of the boards great sleuthy Italian friends can help decipher this.

I am looking for the place that is referred to on the third line in the attachments below.

I will apologize for the quality of the image but it is the best I can do at this time. This image was taken from my camera on a record of death from Tufo (AV). I won't be able to get a better image until next week because the place with the microfilm is only open once a week.

The death record is from 1899. Might anyone be able to find this place? (Possibly an old commune or place name that most likely has fallen out of use but might be recorded somewhere)

I will have a better image next week.

My analysis is that looking at other letters on the record, the first letter is an "N". The rest...is difficult. Anyone know this place?

Third line down is the place name:

Original Image

Enhanced Image

Negative Image

8O :?:
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Maybe Looking for Lost Comune?

Post by misbris »

Could it possibly be Nocera Inferiore, in the province of Salerno?
jschotz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jschotz »

Well, it certainly could be. :) Unfortunately, this is uncharted territory since we just got the microfilm last week and we found this today. We don't know anything at all about this side of the family so...we have nothing to go on. Might there also be any other places where I could find his place of birth? I could order records from those communes to see if I could find him.

Also, if he attended the local church in Tufo, but was from somewhere else, might the local church in Tufo have any record? (If the sun, moon and stars were aligned in the right corner of the sky sort of thing?)
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Sometimes you can tell by the last name. Certain names are more common in specific parts of Italy.

Marriage records might have town of birth also. Was he married in Tufo?
jschotz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jschotz »

Well, the last name is Laibac. We haven't received the films for that time period in Tufo (back-ordered). So it is possible that he was. This was the first record we found for this generation so we are really new on this. If we get that record, then we will look for it of course. But...it sure looks like Nocera Inferiore. It is about 50km from Tufo; is that far for one to travel during that time? :) At least it is something to go on. If you know of any other places to look...we'll look there. :)

Oh, and there seems to be no films for Nocera Inferiore available. So...I guess we will have to write them.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

misbris wrote:Could it possibly be Nocera Inferiore, in the province of Salerno?
you are right misbris: Nocera Inferiore is correct...
hugs, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH