Naturalization Record

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Benito512

Naturalization Record

Post by Benito512 »

As I've been reading the various posts here and at other sites, I am a bit concerned about what needs to be done to the certificate of naturalization.

I will apply through the Chicago Consulate, and Cook County--Chicago's county in Illinois--told me that because of Federal Law they only supply a copy of the document, and, therefore, that is what I possess.

Some people have mentioned that a seal with ribbons needs to be affixed, and others have indicated that an apostille needs to be attached. I am sure the apostille does not need to be attached since this is stated clearly on the Chicago Consulate's web site; however, I would appreciate any feedback from those members of this forum who might have additional insight.

Tanti grazie da,

Benito :D
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Naturalization Record

Post by jcat »

You are correct in that no apostille or translation is needed for the naturalization papers. The naturalization papers I have for my grandfather came from the county clerks office where he resided and each carried a multicolored stamp of the county clerk. This should be good to present as many are still waiting for the copies from the uscis to come and the word is, that their copies are pretty poor as far as being able to read.As long as the copy that they provide is authenticated(county stamp) by them you should be fine. hope this helps......
jamescatizoneitaliandualcitizenship.com
liltally
Rookie
Rookie

Post by liltally »

question please... I just received documents from NARA Declaration,Petition,certificate of arrival are these suppose to have a stamp or is it only the ones from USCIS. Also will these documents do or do I still need the search I made with uscis.
Ciao Grazie
Jeanette
teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by teddi »

The NARA copy of the Oath (with naturalization date and certificate number) should be sufficient. No seals and ribbons required.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Check with your consulate to be sure, although most consulates accept the Oath in lieu of an actual certificate, and I think Miami does too.
liltally
Rookie
Rookie

Post by liltally »

Ok Thank you
Ciao Grazie
Jeanette
jetty12123

Post by jetty12123 »

this website is the informitive site I have ever visited for info. about natualization.I have employed a couple of companies to try to find out wether or not my sons great grand father was ever natualized and it seem like its taken for ever to find out .We are trying to get dual citizenship because he was offered a contract to play for a European soccer club. If there is anybody out there that could find out any information about maurizio (maurice) lunati born in Italy 1893 and immergrated in Aug. 10 1905 to NY.Is it possible to find out if he did natualize on what date that took place You seem to be great detectives. Thanks a million. jetty12123
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Jetty,

is this 1930 census correct for Maurice Lunato?

From Ancestry.com:

1930 United States Federal Census
about Maurice Lunati
Name: Maurice Lunati
Home in 1930: Patchogue, Suffolk, New York
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1893
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head-of-house: Head
Spouse's name: Marie
Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Maurice Lunati 37 head, born in IT, married at the age of 27, year of immigration 1905, naturalized, occupation Retail Merchant - Groceries
Marie Lunati 32 wife, born in NY to italian parents
Angelo Lunati 3 son, born in NY
Nancy Lunati 5 daughter, born in NY
Nancy Savoy 20 niece, born in NY to italian parents

image:
[img=http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7338/l ... sus.th.jpg]

Not a big help, but, if the census is correct, at least you know that he was naturalized before 1930...

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Jetty,
on the Ancestry.com site there is this naturalization records about:

Selected U.S. Naturalization Records - Original Documents, 1790-1974
about Morris Lunati
Name: Morris Lunati
Record Type: Petition for Naturalization
Court Type: District Court
Court: Eastern District (Rolls 128-157) District Court, Oct 6, 1906-Jan 13, 1931
Court Location: Eastern District, Pennsylvania
Naturalization Record Number: 27780
Roll Description: (Roll 145) Petition Nos. 27461-27840
Archive Series: M1522
State: Pennsylvania

Born in Montalbano Jonico, Matera Province - Basilicata region on February 26, 1893.
Montalbano is very near to Craco....
He stated he arrived in NYC on August 1905.... :!:

Do you know if it was possible he lived in Pennsylvania?

Laura
jetty12123

Post by jetty12123 »

you guys are great . that information will really help. Is there any way to find out on what date the natualization took place?It is the most important info becuase it will allow us to determine if his grandfather was born before or after the natualization. Thanks again jetty12123
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

You're welcome Jetty,

I'm posting for you the first and third pages of the petition:

[img=http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1733 ... nat.th.jpg]

[img=http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4286 ... at2.th.jpg]

it seems the Certificate of naturalization was N. 858533 issued on May 25, 1918.
But I'm not expert on this, so maybe some other member of the forum can explain you better....

Laura
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Laura, I'm pretty sure you're right on the date. Valarie

another copy of your record find :D from footnote. com

oath of allegiance
Publication Number: M1522
Publication Title: Naturalization Petitions for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1795-1930
Publisher: NARA
State: Pennsylvania
Short Description: NARA M1522. Naturalization Petitions for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania 1795-1930.
Court: US Circuit Court
Year: 1918
Date: 24 May 1918
Immigrant Full Name: Morris Lunati
Document Type: Other
Home Country: Italy
Witness 1 Full Name: [Blank]
Witness 2 Full Name: [Blank]
Year Immigrated: 1905

states "certificate of naturalization # 858533" was "issued 24 May 1918"
jetty12123

Post by jetty12123 »

I cannot believe you were able to find out all this information in a matter of hours when at the same time this company that I employed has had the info for over 6 weeks with no answers.On the last post you found out that my son great grandfather was natualizad in 1918 but his grandfather was born in 1924 making it impossible for him to apply for dual citizenship.I just want to make sure that the petition for natualization that you sent me was for maurice(maurizio) lunati and not morris lunati.I was unable to zoom in on the document inorder to read it clearlyThanks again you have been a huge help,I still have my fingers crossed that he will be able to play in europe
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Jetty,

the first name on the naturalization paper is Morris but if you know that Maurizio date of birth was the same you can be pretty sure it was him. Usually in U.S. first name were "americanized"....
He presented the petition while he was a soldier in Pennsylvania, do you know if this fact is correct?
I found also another document for Morris Lunati, it's his military enlistment for the first world war, he was living in Detroit at that time (1917).
You're the person who can say that these records are correct, birth date matches with the one on the petition, on the military enlistment he stated he was single and supporting his mother..

Laura

Edit to add:

I'm adding a larger image of the first page of the petition:

[img=http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/5926 ... zat.th.jpg]

Morris Lunati stated he was born on February 26, 1893 in Montalbano , Italy

This are his military enlistment's dates:

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Morris Lunati
Name: Morris Lunati
City: Detroit
County: Wayne
State: Michigan
Birthplace: Italy - Montalbano
Birth Date: 26 Feb 1893
Race: White
Roll: 2024030
DraftBoard: 7

He was living in Detroit on 418, 6th street .
He stated he was Alien

Image, from Ancestry.com:

[img=http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/9996 ... wwi.th.jpg]
jetty12123

Post by jetty12123 »

Hello Laura, I cant express the gratitude that I have for you .You have been a huge help. Furtunitly for us codys(my son) great grandfather never resided in detroit and was born in craco Italy,so maybe there is still a chance that he still might be able to get dual citizenship if I can find out when maurizio became a natualized citizen.Should I just sit tight and wait to find out what the companies find out that I employed?The only problem is that the contract for the football club is coming due very soon.Are there any websites that I might try to find out any info. Thanks Jetty12123