Messina that inmigrated to Panama around 1800's or 1900's

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
LorenaMessina

Messina that inmigrated to Panama around 1800's or 1900's

Post by LorenaMessina »

Hi my maiden name is Lorena Messina, I am the daugher of Antonio Messina Restrepo who was the son of Giovani Messina from Sicily, Italy. Giovani Messina was brother of Antonini and Stephano Messina. They inmigrated to Panama when they were very young. Giovani my grandfather was about 14 years old when he came to Panama. This inmigration may happen sometime on the 1800's or early 1900's. He got married in Panama with a columbian lady, Josefa Restrepo. They had five kids. My grandfather came back to Italy and died of neumonia. How can I find more information about my family? How can I find in which cementery he is?
Can somebody help me? I would appreciate any little help.

Thanks,
Lorena
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Messina that inmigrated to Panama around 1800's or 1900'

Post by ptimber »

Lorena do you know the town of origin in Italy? That is tghe only way to find out easily if he is buried in the town cemetary. Peter
LorenaMessina

Post by LorenaMessina »

I don't know yet but I think maybe one of my cousins may know. He is building a family tree and may have more information than me. Once I found that info where do I go?

Thanks Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

to the municipal authorities for a death certificate. Peter
LorenaMessina

Post by LorenaMessina »

I haven't been able to comunicate with my cousin, he is in Panama and our time differences are making things a little difficult. I remember once my dad mention that we came from Mesina I don't know if he meant place or just our origins, however I found this address for a muicipio in Messina. Do you know is this address is correct:
Messina
Via Garibaldi
Pulazzo Zanca
98100 Messina
Also would it be a site on the internet to locate the municipio and email them instead of just mailing a letter?. I don't know italian, do you know someone who could help me with the letter?
Lorena
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Lorena:
Servizi Demografici
Municipio di Messina
Palazzo Zanca - Piazza Unione Europea
98100 Messina (ME)

mailto: info@comune.messina.it
...suanj
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
I suggest you this link to write letters in italian asking civil records

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

I hope it helps. Bye Riccardo
LorenaMessina

Post by LorenaMessina »

Thanks Ricardo, it did help. I couldn't sumit the letter, but I got a free translation and now I am sending the letter to the municipio. I hope I get to hear from them.
Lorena
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Lorena I am glad the translation site worked for you. Peter
LorenaMessina

Post by LorenaMessina »

OK Peter, this is what is going on: I just spoke with my cousin and all the info I new was pretty much wrong, well I mean about the place of birth of my grandfather. He was born on March 1882 on Sassari, Sardinia and he died on 1926. He got sick on Panama and he was sent to his place of birth. I don't know if he make it alive. However his remains should be somewhere in Sassari. Do you know the address for that municipio? How can I contact them? Where can I find address of the comunity cementery? I am planing on going over there. Any advise
Lorena
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

LorenaMessina wrote:OK Peter, this is what is going on: I just spoke with my cousin and all the info I new was pretty much wrong, well I mean about the place of birth of my grandfather. He was born on March 1882 on Sassari, Sardinia and he died on 1926. He got sick on Panama and he was sent to his place of birth. I don't know if he make it alive. However his remains should be somewhere in Sassari. Do you know the address for that municipio? How can I contact them? Where can I find address of the comunity cementery? I am planing on going over there. Any advise
Lorena
Hi Lorena send an email to Ufficio Anagrafe -Comune di Sassari
mailto: lgadau@comune.sassari.it
with this txt mail:
-------
Spett.le Ufficio Anagrafe
Comune di Sassari

Oggetto: Richiesta accertamento anagrafico di Messina Giovanni nato a Sassari nel Marzo 1886, emigrato all'età di anni 14 a Panama, rientrato a Sassari ed ivi morto nel 1926.

Spett.le Ufficio Anagrafe,
mi chiamo Lorena Messina e sono discendente di Giovanni Messina nato a Sassari nel Marzo del 1886 ed emigrato a Panama all'età di anni 14.
In seguito a malattia egli rientrò in Italia a Sassari ove morì nel 1926. Non conosco il nome dei suoi genitori, ma so per certo che aveva due fratelli di nome: Antonino e Stefano Messina.
Con la presente, la sottoscritta, cortesemente richiede di verificare presso i registri anagrafici del Comune di Sassari quanto oggetto della presente.
In attesa di riscontro ai sensi della L.241/90, è gradita l'occasione per porgere distinti saluti,

Lorena Messina
....your exact and complete address
...your mailto

-----------
The Sassari's Common, reply you with all info in Common's registries on Giovanni Messina..
ragards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Lorena If you go to the family hisstory lkibrary of the Mormoin chruch nearest your home and rent out the micorfilm for Sassari civil records which go from 1866 to 1910. It may be that he was bornin the province of Sassari since often people give the name of the province instead of their town of origin. Since he was born within that time frame you can check him out as well as his entire family. I was going to tell yhou to write to Ufficio di strato Civile in Sassari for his death certificate and if you wish you can senda form letter (www.circolocalabrese.org) in Italian along with a self addressed envelope and perhaps either postal coupons or take a chance and send $5r.00 if you wish since requests from abroad are low priority. Suanj letter is also good so you can do either way. If you find that he was born in a town or village of the Sassari province let us know. eter
LorenaMessina

Post by LorenaMessina »

Thank you, both of you. You are the best! love ya, guys

Lorena
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are 3 cemetaries for Sassari . Go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Cimitero in the first line and Sassari in the third line and click cerca for the listing. This is in the event he is buried in Sassari andnot in some small town cemetary inthe province of Sassari. Peter
LorenaMessina

Post by LorenaMessina »

Thanks, I tried to email that letter to the site you suggested, but the letter came back to me saying that was undeliverable. Also I call to the cementeries but nobody speaks English or Spanish. I need someone who speak italian that can help comunicate with them. Do you know another site that is active for that comune? Peter do you have the rest of the address for Uficio di Strato Civile in Sassari? I really appreciate all your help.
Lorena