Help translating the profession on a death record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
cliklm

Help translating the profession on a death record

Post by cliklm »

Could someone help me translate the profession of Giuseppe Belletti on the attached death record of 1821? It looks like "cultivator di compagne" and I am wondering what this means.

Thank you.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Help translating the profession on a death record

Post by suanj »

coltivatore di campagna= farm laborer, farmer.....
suanj
PS the image not working
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
cliklm

Post by cliklm »

Thank you Suanj. I was afraid the attachment wouldn't open! But, you have answered my question anyway. It seems there were many descriptions of farmers and farm laborers--Contadino, Agricoltore, Villico and now coltivatore di compagna!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

it are local words for to say the same profession of villico, contadino, agricoltore... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Does it suggest he does or doesn't own the land?
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Some distinctions based on research I have done:

Contadini (male/female)-were peasants who farmed the land; less than 10% of them, even as recently as 1901, owned the land they farmed. If they did own land, the parcel was very small, and few could earn a living farming it. They also lived in towns at considerable distances from the land on which they worked.

Agricoltore-was believed to be a middle peasant. Had a 3-6 year contract as a lessee on a small or medium plot of land which belonged to a civile (landowner) or local artisan. Also owned a house and animals. Ate whatever he grew and marketed small amounts of grain and other produce locally.

Villici-landless, poor peasants, who lived outside of the village center, near the fields they tended. Sometimes they were given the same plot to farm; other times, a different one, kilometers away, or no plot at all. In the absence of any supervision, they did nothing to improve the land.