can someone help translate this document?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran

can someone help translate this document?

Post by vintagegamer »

It appears that one of the people in my extended family was a Cardinal. The below letter apparently came from the Pope in regard to him. I was wondering if anyone could assist in translating it?

LETTERA DI GIOVANNI PAOLO II
AL CARDINALE LUIGI DADAGLIO,
PRESIDENTE DEL COMITATO CENTRALE PER L’ANNO MARIANO
IN OCCASIONE DELLA CHIUSURA
DELLE CELEBRAZIONI DELL'ANNO MARIANO
Al venerato fratello
il signor Cardinale Luigi Dadaglio
Presidente del Comitato Centrale
per l’Anno Mariano.
Volgendo ormai alla conclusione l’anno mariano, per la cui ordinata celebrazione fu a suo tempo costituito codesto Comitato Centrale, sento vivo, signor Cardinale, il desiderio di far giungere a lei ed ai suoi collaboratori l’espressione del mio compiacimento e della mia gratitudine per l’intensa attività svolta nell’arco di questi mesi.
Molteplici sono state, in effetti, le iniziative promosse per favorire la partecipazione dei fedeli ad un evento di grazia tanto singolare, che ha profondamente inciso nella vita della Chiesa, ravvivandone l’impegno in quella “peregrinazione della fedeâ€
vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran

Re: can someone help translate this document?

Post by vintagegamer »

OK here is the furthest I have gotten on my own, using an online tool, a relative, and my fluency in French (which sadly isn't helping much here):

LETTER FROM JOHN PAUL II TO CARDINAL
LUIGI DADAGLIO, PRESIDENT OF THE CENTRAL COMMITTEE
FOR THE MARIAN YEAR, ON THE OCCASION OF THE CLOSING
CELEBRATION OF THE MARIAN YEAR

Al venerato fratello
His Eminence Cardinal Luigi Dadaglio
President of the Central Committee for the Marian Year

Turning now to the conclusion of the Marian Year, for whose ordered celebration opportunely that Committee was constituted they Centers, feels alive, Mr. Cardinale, desire to make to reach out to them and to their collaborators the expression of my satisfaction and of my gratitude for the intense activity carried out in the arc of these months.

Many have there been, in effect, the initiatives promoted in order to favor the participation of the faithful to an event of such unified thanks, that it has deeply recorded in the life of the Church, ravvivando some engagement in that “peregrination of the faithâ€
vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by vintagegamer »

Well wow, 60 people looked at this and noone offered to help. That stinks.
vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by vintagegamer »

Trying again- anyone? anyone at all?
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

vintagegamer wrote:Trying again- anyone? anyone at all?
I will do it in between other work I have to do, so you will have to be patient. But I'm not surprised that it had 60 views and 'no takers' - it's not a short, quick translation you're after is it? It's nearly 400 words.

And this comment certainly isn't going to endear you to those who could help either:
"Well wow, 60 people looked at this and noone offered to help. That stinks."
Yes, it might 'stink', but the translators here willingly give their time free for most requests - where else would you find that out in the real world? I feel that the comment was totally uncalled for!
elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

vintagegamer wrote:Trying again- anyone? anyone at all?
I will do it in between other work I have to do, so you will have to be patient. But I'm not surprised that it had 60 views and 'no takers' - it's not a short, quick translation you're after is it? It's nearly 400 words.

And this comment certainly isn't going to endear you to those who could help either:
"Well wow, 60 people looked at this and noone offered to help. That stinks."
Yes, it might 'stink', but the translators here willingly give their time free for most requests - where else would you find that out in the real world? I feel that the comment was totally uncalled for!
elba
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Right on Elba!

Considering that all who assist on this forum do so not only with their free time and expertise. They all try their best to be of some help to those looking for their families.

Should this individual pay to have the letter translated, they would pay a pretty penny.

I have learned you have to have much patience if you are doing genealogy with all its twists and turns as I have found.

lilbees

PS many people who "looked" at the posting were not of the ability to do a translation but were interested in the outcome.
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by vintagegamer »

I honestly do appreciate the help that is provided here, but noone even bothered to say "I will take a look at this and see what I can do to help, please give me some time". I even provided the online translation I'd found to help along, to prove I was even trying on my own to get this document translated.

As for the prices of translation, I am bilingual in French and am well aware of the costs involved as I did translation out of college. So, I'm not some completely naive moron when it comes to that. Again, I truly appreciate all that the group does here for others. I also try to contribute myself when it's something I can assist with.

I appreciate the fact that Elba has replied and offered to assist. Now that I know what is happening I will be glad to wait.
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

One translation. Though ecclesiastical terminology isn't always the easiest to translate, I think you will find this understandable...
elba

Translation:

LETTER FROM JOHN PAUL II TO CARDINAL LUIGI DADAGLIO,
PRESIDENT OF THE CENTRAL COMMITTEE FOR THE MARIANO YEAR ON THE OCCASION OF THE CLOSING OF THE CELEBRATIONS FOR THE MARIANO YEAR

To my revered brother the Cardinal Luigi Dadaglio President of the Central Committee for the Mariano Year.
Turning now towards the conclusion of the Mariano year, for which the order of the celebrations was established by the Central Committee at the time, I feel alive Signor Cardinal, the desire to send you and your associates an expression of my pleasure and gratitude for the intense activity carried out in the space of these months.

Many have been, in effect, the promised initiatives to encourage the faithful to a singularly graceful event, that has deeply engraved itself in the life of The Church, revitalising the commitment engraved in that “pilgrimage of faithâ€
vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by vintagegamer »

Elba!!! I am in your debt!!! Grazie!!!

Please let me know if there is something I can send to you from the States for your efforts, or if you might like some money sent for your assistance. I am extremely grateful for this!

(and yes, if you have anything in French you need translated, you now have a resource!!!)

Jim
vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by vintagegamer »

I forgot to mention WHY this letter was so significant: the Cardinal was my cousin's, grandmother's, 1st cousin. They are very proud of this man as you can imagine, and have many photos of him.

My cousin rarely asks me for anything, so when he came out with this letter and asked if I could assist, I really wanted to be able to come through for him. And thanks to this site, it was made possible.

My hat goes off AGAIN to all of you.

Jim
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

vintagegamer wrote:Elba!!! I am in your debt!!! Grazie!!!

Please let me know if there is something I can send to you from the States for your efforts, or if you might like some money sent for your assistance. I am extremely grateful for this!

(and yes, if you have anything in French you need translated, you now have a resource!!!)

Jim
Prego. Di niente.

You might like to donate (min) $5 to the fundraising via the Red Cross for the animals who lost thier owners and homes in the recent Abruzzo earthquake.

Donations can be made here:
Italia Uncovered Fund Raising

I actually have a thread on that site for translations. If people want me to do them then they must make a donation.... It all helps those 400+ dogs with no homes, or owners, following the quake and little hope of being rehomed.

I'm pleased it was OK for you!
vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by vintagegamer »

And I will make that donation. We are not only Italian in my house, but dog owners too!! (we had 2 black labs, sisters, until one passed 2 years ago- we still have her sister).