Coming to America

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Coming to America

Post by sal4 »

When an Italian was leaving the Old Country to come to America, did they have to show any paperwork to prove who they were, before boarding the ship? and when they arrived at Ellis Island or any other port were there pictures taken of them, as for record keeping?........Thanks....Sal4
Looking for surnames Iasalvatore (Salvatore), Tartaglia, Rosetta, Consola, Di Muccio, Castellano, Montanaro, Dipaolo, Costa, Sansone, Giudicianni and Laudato.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Coming to America

Post by PeterTimber »

civic records commenced in 1809 (1820 for Sicily) for most of south and central Italy and while passsports were issued starting in 1869 it was for the purpose of moving within Italy. The USA as well as many other countires did not require passports so many Italians left without official passports. Photographs were not taken.
The Italian passports were used to make sure young men did not emigrate to avoid the military draft and the police (Questura is neach province issues passports). =Peter=
~Peter~
LaBud
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LaBud »

Sal4, I often wondered the same thing and also want to know if there was a fee to pay for the trip over.

Thanks so much Peter for the detailed answer.
You are appreciated. :)

Ciao, LaBud
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

They definitely had to pay for transport. My gf was listed as a stowaway, and had there been no cost, he wouldn't have gone this route. I think relatives in the U.S. paid his passage after he arrived.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

....except when gang laborers were recruited by a "padrone" who paid their passage and took a cut of their pay..=Peter=
~Peter~
sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sal4 »

Thank You Peter.......I often wondered and I was not able to find an answer to my question on the internet, as always you have been quiet informative.....I do have to ask though...(I have seen pictures that were claimed to be from immigrants coming into Ellis Island) where they photographers just taking random pictures of the immigrants? Sal4
Looking for surnames Iasalvatore (Salvatore), Tartaglia, Rosetta, Consola, Di Muccio, Castellano, Montanaro, Dipaolo, Costa, Sansone, Giudicianni and Laudato.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

They were usually newspaper reporters or social activists taking random shots for news story or archival resources..You know in those days of heavy immigration NYC was first overwhelmed with transient laborers from Italy and other nations to dig the subway tunnels by hand, wheel barrow and dynamite. The lived with italian families, paying 5 cents a night and hung out at the corners (became a time honored tradition but I really don't know if the traditon still exists..like everyone else we all moved to the burbs and only saw the "corner society" in Italian neighborhoods)

If I find the article about Italian immigrants arriving and how they were veiwed I will send it to you. Please send me your e-mail via PM.=Peter=
~Peter~