Your ggf may have believed that his U.S. citizenship was compromised by his having served in the Italian army, and may not have been in possession of his U.S. birth certificate, which would have cleared the way for him. If he ran away from home, it's unlikely he took his birth certificate with him.
As we have learned, our ancestors were careless with documents either because they didn't understand the language or were illiterate; often names were recorded incorrectly and never amended. Nor were they very careful about holding on to important records. I'm guessing that he didn't have a birth certificate to back up his claim; but, that he "claimed U.S. citizenship" is further evidence that he did not naturalize. Had he naturalized--which he would have done as an adult--U.S. citizenship would have been lost.
I don't know where records of Italian naturalization documents are maintained, so I can't help you there. Perhaps some Italians on this forum can provide you with that information if you post that question separately.
But, I caution you to avoid getting your hopes up. I seriously doubt that your ggf ever naturalized in Italy. He was a 15-year old boy who ran away to escape an unhappy home life and probably found refuge in the army. But it's unlikely he naturalized, for just a few years later, he returned to the U.S. More likely, his return to the U.S. was something he had planned for, and naturalizing in Italy at age 18-23 would have made this more difficult for him. He had no reason to do so, especially since U.S. citizenship was a prized commodity.
I know his U.S. naturalization seems strange, but during the 1940's, Germans, Japanese and Italians were not all that popular. If your ggf was a bit insecure because of his Italian military service, this was a way to confirm his loyalty to his country.
Was my grand father an Italian citizen?
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Was my grand father an Italian citizen?
You know these "he ran away" stories are not to be relied upon when actual research of the town of origin municipal offices of vital statistics (birth.marriages and deaths) and for any passport applications at the Questura(police headquarters) have been ruled out...and its only then would I rely upon the run away stories which usually are an embellishment or explanation for something else. =
Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html for genealogy form letters which are helpful.
The local Uffico Anagrafe (census office) may have his absences and return to the town records, passport acquisiitons etc. The Questura may not make their records avilable but give it a try as well. =Peter=
Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html for genealogy form letters which are helpful.
The local Uffico Anagrafe (census office) may have his absences and return to the town records, passport acquisiitons etc. The Questura may not make their records avilable but give it a try as well. =Peter=
~Peter~
Re: Was my grand father an Italian citizen?
Good point, Peter. The only information that can be relied upon would be that which is an official government document. If arist's ggf ever acquired an Italian passport, that information would support the claim that he acquired Italian citizenship. Without that, an Italian birth record, or a naturalization record, all the rest is supposition.
Re: Was my grand father an Italian citizen?
Sorry but I was still hoping someone would be able to answer the question of where can I obtain a certified copy of my GGF nat. record. the USCIS told me I can only get it from my local field office in Newark, NJ. is this true?
I cant find anywhere on the website that tells me differently. But when I order the record search they only gave the "best photo copy available"
Please Help
Thank you,
JC
I cant find anywhere on the website that tells me differently. But when I order the record search they only gave the "best photo copy available"
Please Help
Thank you,
JC
Re: Was my grand father an Italian citizen?
Why not check with NARA. You won't get the certificate, but they will send you the Declaration, Petition and Oath, and the Oath is as good as the actual certificate.
Re: Was my grand father an Italian citizen?
So i checked with NARA and they directed me to call the county where the application took place. Apparently, in the early 1900's you could get citizenship from the county level courts. However, when i contacted them they sent me only his declaration of intention. It is certified, but will the consulate accept this?
Also will this doc also have to have an Apostille?
Also will this doc also have to have an Apostille?
