Help with the Diorio name.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
meticulousmobile
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help with the Diorio name.

Post by meticulousmobile »

www.castlegarden.org can search by surname, etc, but not alot of info is listed.

http://immigrantships.net/index2.html you can browse passenger lists on ships by date or ship name, but not alot of info listed on the passenger either. Either way, if you can find possibilities it helps!
Researching Pennella, Liuzzi, Bottini, Casella, LaPosta, Defeudis, Gaudet, Gallant and Parant.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Another interesting manifest..

Angelo Diorio

First Name: Angelo
Last Name: Diorio
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence:
Date of Arrival: Apr 21, 1892
Age at Arrival: 28y Gender: M Marital Status:
Ship of Travel: Matteo Bruzzo
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0262

On his way to New York....
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Giovanni:
Vincent had siblings? who was the oldest son/daughter?
Vincent born in Manhattan in the 1899; I cannot find it in 1910 census ... when he back in Italy for WWI? and sure he back with parents also...! Genorazzo or Ceronazzo spell is in Campania region especially, as Di Iorio in many regions, and obviously also in Campania.... thanks, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Giovanni777
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Giovanni777 »

nuccia wrote:Another interesting manifest..

Angelo Diorio

First Name: Angelo
Last Name: Diorio
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence:
Date of Arrival: Apr 21, 1892
Age at Arrival: 28y Gender: M Marital Status:
Ship of Travel: Matteo Bruzzo
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0262

On his way to New York....
I have thought about him using one of his middle names. With Napoli being the port of departure, it is possible.

The story I have, is that my Grandfather was born here, in NYC, but went back to Italia at 2 years old... then came back at 19, after fighting in WWI for Italia.
Giovanni777
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Giovanni777 »

suanj wrote:Giovanni:
Vincent had siblings? who was the oldest son/daughter?
Vincent born in Manhattan in the 1899; I cannot find it in 1910 census ... when he back in Italy for WWI? and sure he back with parents also...! Genorazzo or Ceronazzo spell is in Campania region especially, as Di Iorio in many regions, and obviously also in Campania.... thanks, suanj
We don't know if Vincent (Vincenzo) had any siblings or not.

The story is that he was born in NYC, went back to Italia at 2 years old, then came back here at 19 years old after he fought for Italia in WWI. Maybe that is why he wasn't in the 1910 census? I have a feeling his parents either went back with him, yes, and probably never came back to America. His mother, Teresa Generazzo could be Genorazzo or Ceronazzo, if from Campania? I'll search for those.

The thing is, the names I have given came from our own family tree, not from the records, so I would think that "Diorio" and "Generazza" were correct.

Can you check the 1900 census for me? I still can't figure out how to do that!

Millie Grazie!

~Giovanni
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I have been searching the 1900 Census for 2 hours and there are two that I found questionable, but neither are bang on.

One is listed as Davis (Dorio) and I can't remember the other one. But I believe the father's name is Sebstaian and the mother Maria or Letizia. I lost the record but you should be able to view it.

Just google 1900 Census.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Oh, If Vincenzo came back when he was 19, then it would be about 1918...the war was still on then, wasn't it? Are you sure he didn't come back a bit later or earlier?
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Giovanni777
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Giovanni777 »

nuccia wrote:Oh, If Vincenzo came back when he was 19, then it would be about 1918...the war was still on then, wasn't it? Are you sure he didn't come back a bit later or earlier?
He was captured by the Germans, and escaped with a few other people. I'm not sure if that would mean that he left before the war was over or not.

He may have come back to America a bit later.

With the ship manifests, if a woman is married, does she give her married family name, or her birth family name?

I found a Teresa Generazzo on the Ellis Island site, and the time and age work. She was married though, and there was a guy with the same last name, one year older, who came over with her... also married. I assumed they were husband and wife, so I thought it couldn't be her.

BUT... if my Grandfather was born in NYC, then his mother had to be here.

I don't trust census stuff, because many people don't fill those out. I NEVER have.

Anyway... You are a wonderful person to be helping me out so much. Even without any answers yet, I can't tell you how much I truly appreciate the help.

One more thing... From what our family tree says, Vincent's parents were Carmine Giuseppe Angelo Diorio and Teresa Generazzo. Carmine makes sense, because my father's name was Carmine. Well Carmine Giuseppe Angelo Diorio's parents were written down as Vincenzo and Carmella Diorio (no maiden name for Carmella).
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Women, married or not, usually traveled by their maiden names..although, sometimes they took their husbands name.

Can you link the record you found? Even the text is ok...I just want to have a look (although I think I also saw it earlier). Then we can check to see if the couple were on a census together or not...might be able to verify if they married each other or were siblings...
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Teresa Generazzo
Name: Teresa Generazzo
Arrival Date: 22 May 1894
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1872
Port of Departure: Genoa, Italy
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Kaiser Wilhelm II
Search Ship Database: Search the Kaiser Wilhelm II in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 24
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_627
Page Number: F

Yes, I did see this one already and questioned it too..they were both listed as married and I think I did see them as husband and wife in a census record mis spelled. Let me check again and see if I can confirm that. I think he was listed as An and see as Leresa..the 1910 census was horrible for mis spellings
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

Hello Giovanni

I'm gonna put this out there just in case it helps.

Teresa Generazzo(married) arrived On 5/22/1894 (on 'Kaiser Wilhelm II) at the age of 22.
She was traveling with Antonio Generazzo - age 23 (brother?)

Antonio Generazzo (age 29) (2nd trip) arrived 4/19/1900 (on Neustria) Going to meet his brother-in law Giuseppe Dorio? at 147 Water street

It states Antonio's last residence as Campanarello.

Angelina
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Not only that..if you look at the person travelling below Teresa, I think the person is Carmenantonio Iorio...and maybe, if I saw correctly, (my computer shut down on me) he was sharing a compartment next door to Teresa..

Let me link it and see..

Ship Manifest
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

deleted
Giovanni777
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Giovanni777 »

nuccia wrote:Women, married or not, usually traveled by their maiden names..although, sometimes they took their husbands name.

Can you link the record you found? Even the text is ok...I just want to have a look (although I think I also saw it earlier). Then we can check to see if the couple were on a census together or not...might be able to verify if they married each other or were siblings...
It is this one:

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passR ... 0059347104&
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Good eye Ang!..

Resized Image

Now to find that census record I saw earlier ...
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database