Search found 35 matches

by fishacura
06 Jan 2011, 00:40
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Fried Dough Translation
Replies: 25
Views: 27242

Re: Fried Dough Translation

I have a couple more but will need to ask my dad. One is similar to the honey twists but they're balls (about the size of oblong golf balls) darker but also with honey. I"ll find our name for them...
by fishacura
05 Jan 2011, 18:45

That's great thanks! It's interesting because this has to be the term from which it is derived, but what's interesting is that what we refer to as this, is actually not this exact food. Ours is more on the order of Zeppoli or Funnel Cake (softer dough once cooked...not hard and crispy). Another coup...
by fishacura
05 Jan 2011, 18:29

That's okay...this is terrific. What's odd to me is that this is the only instance of this term "Crostelle" I can find on the entire net. 99.9% of the time fried dough is referred to as Zeppoli. I'm wondering where Crostelle came from. My family is from Cosenza but I have never really hear...
by fishacura
05 Jan 2011, 18:17

Well, this looks like it's making me download a file which I cannot do from here. I also Googled the word "crostelle" but didn't come up with anything. Can you cut and past the text of what's in the link? I'm on the edge of my seat because this looks like something that could be "dial...
by fishacura
04 Jan 2011, 20:51

Fried Dough Translation

My grandmother would always make Fried Dough for the family at a pre-Christmas feast. However, we referred to it phonetically as "GRU-sta-lee". I am trying to find out where this comes from. It has to be a dialect for something but certainly not Zeppoli as it sounds way too different right...
by fishacura
30 Jul 2010, 13:12
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Help translating administrative document
Replies: 9
Views: 5196

Re: Help translating administrative document

What this tells me is that the online archive is either not complete or that it is badly indexed. I have confirmed it is not complete but it does have some info which is a nice start. I was also able to get to this page through links from a record http://www.archivi-sias.it/index.asp Cannot read it...
by fishacura
30 Jul 2010, 11:58

if he came from the province of cosenza, calabria you can search for his birth certificate online at 88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces you have to register but its free and you can also switch the language to English and if you find him you can order the birth/death/marriage certificates, and some...
by fishacura
29 Jul 2010, 22:17

Definitely Cosenza, so I am not sure why they're asking for the requst of some town in Sicily....guess we'll find out but it looks like a dead end!
by fishacura
29 Jul 2010, 13:32

You are correct...I had forgotten about the military request. We'll see if they actually send me anything. Thanks!
by fishacura
29 Jul 2010, 13:07

Help translating administrative document

Thanks to a couple of you, I finally sent a request to a valid email address to request a family certificate for my grandfater. I received this email back yesterday but cannot translate it. It looks like someone took my request, and made some sort of formal request for something on my behalf. The bo...
by fishacura
24 Jul 2010, 21:59
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Siena Contrade Flags
Replies: 21
Views: 13798

Re: Siena Contrade Flags

I recall driving north up toward Chinque Terra from there and learning the marble mountains were the same mountains from which many of his masterpieces came....
by fishacura
23 Jul 2010, 19:52

johnnyonthespot wrote: If you have never been, then by all means please do so at the earliest opportunity.

Believe me, you will not regret it. :D
Johnny, check out my original post. We've been and loved it so much it's now our daughter's first name :)
by fishacura
23 Jul 2010, 13:17

Thanks Xaymara. I'll get right on it. Appreciate the idea!!!

Maybe I should just plan on a vacation to Siena and get them myself :lol:
by fishacura
22 Jul 2010, 14:44
Topic: Pedace email
Replies: 12
Views: 6873

Re: Pedace email

misbris wrote:Try this to the mayor's office.

sindaco@comunepedace.it

This is the first one that didn't come immediately back (it's been several hours now). THANKS!
by fishacura
22 Jul 2010, 13:43
Topic: U.S. names versus Italian Names
Replies: 24
Views: 13557

Re: U.S. names versus Italian Names

Thanks all. I am chomping at the bit here....I ordered birth records to my local FHC for late 1800s Pedace, Rogliano, Marzi, Piane Crati and Donnici and hopefully they're here next week...cannot wait to get re-started!!!