Search found 11 matches

by giapetto
24 Aug 2011, 20:10
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Virtual Tour of Towns in Italy
Replies: 2
Views: 1069

Virtual Tour of Towns in Italy

I just had a virtual tour of Spadola, Provincia di Vibo Valencia courtesy of Google Maps. This feature (street view) is not new but I was surprised to find that it works for some very small towns in Italy. It takes a little dexterity to navigate, but it is the next best thing to being there. Use Goo...
by giapetto
17 Dec 2010, 14:48
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Salvatore Puma and wife Maria Rosa Carlino (born 1790s)
Replies: 4
Views: 1341

Re: Salvatore Puma and wife Maria Rosa Carlino (born 1790s)

Sorry - trying to delete a accidental double post
by giapetto
17 Dec 2010, 14:47
Topic: Salvatore Puma and wife Maria Rosa Carlino (born 1790s)
Replies: 4
Views: 1341

Re: Salvatore Puma and wife Maria Rosa Carlino (born 1790s)

This is definitely a long shot, but my grandmother was Maria Concetta Carlino DeFrancesco. Her mother died when she was young and her father remarried. Her half sister was Filippa. Maria Concetta married Francesco DeFrancesco of Spadola, Provincia Vibo Vialencia (formerly provincia di Catanzaro). Gr...
by giapetto
13 Nov 2009, 00:33
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Quick translation - police clearance
Replies: 2
Views: 3444

Re: Quick translation - police clearance

For rough translations I often use Google translate or another internet translator. They are not perfect but I know some italian so can make some corrections. In this case I suggest: Dipartimento della Sicurezza Pubblica Divisione di polizia Certificato di polizia Records Investigation (ricerca sull...
by giapetto
12 Nov 2009, 23:51
Topic: 2 sentence translation - PLEASE :-)
Replies: 3
Views: 3847

Re: 2 sentence translation - PLEASE :-)

Using an on-line translation device I suggest the following, though these translations are not always perfect. L'affidavit della composizione di famiglia e della residenza. Io stesso, il sottoscritto, dichiara come segue: I membri della mia famiglia sono: (io stesso) (il mio coniuge) Abbiamo risiedu...
by giapetto
08 Apr 2009, 22:12
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Polistena,
Replies: 5
Views: 4445

Re: Polistena,

Not familiar with that surname, but my grandmother was born in Polistena. Her maiden name/surname was Carlino. She lived in Spadola and then emigrated to Hartford, CT, USA. Is anyone familiar with the Carlino family in Polistena? See also my posts under Spadola.
by giapetto
16 Mar 2009, 22:10
Topic: Spadola, Province of Vibo Valentia in Calabria
Replies: 10
Views: 12959

Re: Spadola, Province of Vibo Valentia in Calabria

Thank you cousin Frank. I am Frank DeFrancesco. I was mistaken about the name of Uncle Sals wife, but thank you for reminding me that her name was Rosa, I remember her Zi'Rosine (the way they used to say it). I found my grandmother's birth certificate issued by the Comune di Polistena, Provincia di ...
by giapetto
15 Jan 2009, 01:46
Topic: Calabrian Dialect
Replies: 8
Views: 12608

Re: Calabrian Dialect

Logos library has literature and other documents in various dialects. See

http://www.logoslibrary.eu/pls/wordtc/n ... rce=search
by giapetto
15 Jan 2009, 01:24
Topic: Spadola, Province of Vibo Valentia in Calabria
Replies: 10
Views: 12959

Re: Spadola, Province of Vibo Valentia in Calabria

My grandfather, Frank (Francesco) DeFrancesco was from Spadola; my grandmother was Maria Concetta (Carlino) DeFrancesco. She always said she was from Reggio Calabria but she lived in Spadola. Her mother and her father remarried. She had a half-sister Filippa (who we called Zi'Fillip'). I don't remem...
by giapetto
15 Jan 2009, 00:49
Topic: Names of Parish Churches
Replies: 7
Views: 6056

Re: Names of Parish Churches

There are two churches in Spadola, practically side by side on the hill. I do not know the names for certain, but one might be La Madonna della Concezione Immacolata.