Search found 85 matches

by MaddalenaNYC
02 Dec 2020, 06:00
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Town names- Surania and Ronhleo
Replies: 35
Views: 1782

Re: Town names- Surania and Ronhleo

Well, I have flip flopped again. I did some more digging through the immigration files at Ellis Island and I have evidence, albeit it scant, that Giuseppa Tezza was in the States circa 1887. And that her daughter, my Maria, was born in Brooklyn. I took a stab and called the Catholic parish here in B...
by MaddalenaNYC
01 Dec 2020, 03:58

Ok yes It seems as if the Guglielmo In the ship’s manifest is my Nonno from Soragna. I never knew my great grandfather but my father and my siblings always referred to him as Nonno and so I do the same.
by MaddalenaNYC
01 Dec 2020, 03:35

My Latin stinks. I only had a couple of semesters at University over forty years ago. Could you translate the Giovanni Musa particulars for me? I’ll pay you back as I can read German even in Fraktur. Thank you.
by MaddalenaNYC
01 Dec 2020, 02:40

Maybe, I have Nonno’s passport and letters to and from Italy. They are in a safe deposit at my local bank. I will try to retrieve them this week. When I was 18 years old and my elder brother was 39 years old, our Aunt Louise Gardella Armeit gave us gifts, My brother received Nonno’s gold pocket watc...
by MaddalenaNYC
30 Nov 2020, 23:01

I’m sure you’re all sick of me but I work in law and do not take anything at face value. If someone would look for a birth act for Giuseppe Musa born near Parma circa 1881, son of Guglielmo Musa and Giuseppa Tezza, I would be very grateful That would be my great uncle Joe who died in Brooklyn of the...
by MaddalenaNYC
30 Nov 2020, 14:07

I know that I am beating this to the ground but I have an original copy of Guglielmo’s Will. He died in Brooklyn, NY in 1937. He left all of his property, real and otherwise to his son, Luigi, Luigi’s wife Palmeira, his daughter (my grandmother) Maria Musa Gardella, his daughter-in-law, the widow of...
by MaddalenaNYC
30 Nov 2020, 04:17

Her date of birth has always been noted as 1888. It is all so confusing. Before my grandmother’s last living child, my Aunt Helen, died at the age of 97 with me by her side, She, Aunt Helen commented again how her mother, my grandmother, was married at the age of sixteen. That was in 1904 in NYC. Al...
by MaddalenaNYC
30 Nov 2020, 04:02

Perhaps my grandmother’s middle name was Maria? And she went by Mary and Mamie in the States? This I know. My grandmother was married to my grandfather in 1904 in Manhattan, NYC. They had six children all born in Brooklyn. My grandmother died in 1952, two years before my birth. She is buried in St. ...
by MaddalenaNYC
30 Nov 2020, 03:04

I thought it was three months but look again...the entry was put in months but noted years.
by MaddalenaNYC
30 Nov 2020, 03:03

Three years old at the time. There had to have been two Marias.

One was my grandmother, the other was not.
Unfortunately, all who knew my Maria died many years ago.

This is puzzling.
Thank you for helping me,
by MaddalenaNYC
30 Nov 2020, 01:25

Is there a death act for Maria Valentina Musa baptized in 1879?
by MaddalenaNYC
30 Nov 2020, 01:01

My grandmother is a mystery to me. I have an immigration record from Ellis Island showing her coming in in 1892 with her mother and brother Giuseppe under their mother’s maiden name of Tezza. My Maria Musa was listed as three years old at that time. Later in the year 1892, my Maria and Nonno (Guglie...
by MaddalenaNYC
29 Nov 2020, 05:00

Sorry my finger slipped. So many of our Marias in the family are called by their middle names as we have so many Marias. When my daughter was born thirty years ago I had suggested naming her Maria Valentina. She was not born near St. Valentine’s Day and I had no idea that the name Valentina had ever...
by MaddalenaNYC
29 Nov 2020, 04:53

This is curious. When my daughter was born thirty years ago it was certain that her first name would be Maria. That is a family tradition. But what of the second name of which so many of our Marias are cakkec
by MaddalenaNYC
29 Nov 2020, 04:43

Thank you, Mongo It all seems to work except for the birth date. My grandmother, Maria Musa, could not have been born that early. My grandmother, Maria, known as Mamie in the States continues to elude me. She died in 1952 in Mt. Vernon, NY. A few years before I had been born. Perhaps this was the fi...