Search found 296 matches

by VotM
20 Oct 2017, 12:58
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: USCIS Genealogy Index Request - Wait Time..
Replies: 24
Views: 997

Re: USCIS Genealogy Index Request - Wait Time..

The first image is the "Best Reproducible Copy Available" from USCIS, taken from a duplicate.

The second image is the same document as provided by NARA, taken from the original. Note the better quality and the lack of gratuitous redacting.
by VotM
20 Oct 2017, 01:06

London82 wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 00:22
The disc had horrible copy scans of my great grandfather's naturalization certificate, declaration and petition.
Let me guess.. the scans are also marked, "Best Reproducible Copy Available"? :-/
by VotM
16 Oct 2017, 22:21
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Need help with birth "transcript" in 1901 Allegati
Replies: 1
Views: 90

Re: Need help with birth "transcript" in 1901 Allegati

There also appears to be some hint that the bride was originally viewed as the daughter of Giuseppe de Cefalu. Misinterpretation on my part here. Looking at the family tree, I think that the person who appeared before the town official, "Stefana Papa fu Giuseppe de Cefalu", is the daughter of Giuse...
by VotM
16 Oct 2017, 18:21
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Need help with birth "transcript" in 1901 Allegati
Replies: 1
Views: 90

Need help with birth "transcript" in 1901 Allegati

In the 1901 marriage Allegati for what appears to be one of my great aunts, there is an unusual entry in place of the standard birth transcript. Rather than being the usual copy of an entry from the "Nati" records, this seems to be a document asserting that the birth was somehow not properly recorde...
by VotM
04 Oct 2017, 14:37

To improve efficiency and decrease wait times for USCIS Genealogy Program customers, processing of USCIS genealogy requests will transition from Washington, D.C., to the USCIS National Records Center in Lee’s Summit, Missouri. The transition will occur between Oct. 1, 2017, and Jan. 1, 2018. There ...
by VotM
28 Sep 2017, 15:02
Topic: A Christmas Present - "road maps" to FamilySearch records for Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea
Replies: 2
Views: 738

Re: A Christmas Present - "road maps" to FamilySearch records for Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea

The "road maps" for Cefalù have been updated to include the recently exposed digital records for 1820-1859. These records currently may only be viewed at a Family History Center or an affiliate library. As my access to my local FHC is limited, corrections to these tables on the Wiki (see above for l...
by VotM
28 Sep 2017, 09:25

Got an update on the electronic file request today which says * Pending QA - The requested file was received, duplicated, and printed, and is awaiting review for accuracy, legibility, and completeness. I had this status on my last request from February to July. At the end of July I received a lette...
by VotM
01 Sep 2017, 16:16
Topic: re:discontinuation of lds film ordering program
Replies: 11
Views: 604

Re: re:discontinuation of lds film ordering program

Has anyone asked their local library to be an affiliate of the LDS? I emailed FamilySearch about why some town records were available on any public computers but others like mine are only available at the FHC or affiliate library. This was their response... "The rights are set by the owners of the ...
by VotM
30 Aug 2017, 15:57
Topic: LDS discontinuing microfilm rentals
Replies: 17
Views: 1393

Re: LDS discontinuing microfilm rentals

The status of many of the films of interest to me flipped over recently from "microfilm only" to "digital, viewable at a Family History Center". I'll try to check that out later today.
by VotM
13 Aug 2017, 13:40

If you're looking for naturalization records, try NARA instead: https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonline/start.swe?SWECmd=Login&SWECM=S&SRN=&SWEHo=eservices.archives.gov You'll need to set up a login (free) to make requests. The price is cheaper, turnaround is faster, the quality of the images is ...
by VotM
09 Aug 2017, 09:37

Not exactly an answer to your question, but... In July of 2016, before the new rates went into effect, I submitted two requests for records; one for naturalization papers and one for the documents behind an alien registry certificate. In both cases I already had the necessary index numbers. The firs...
by VotM
26 Jul 2017, 20:29

There are actually two types of "online" access that serve as alternatives to the microfilm records. One is the digitized record, and the other is the searchable indexed database. In most cases, both "online" records are available for a collection. But in some cases it's an either-or situation. In t...
by VotM
13 Jul 2017, 16:47

This person also indicated that the LDS had recently bought machines such that they’ve increased scanning capacity by 50% and that they’re now running three (3) shifts per day instead of one (1). These scanning machines are modern and need less "human interaction" (loading film, etc., is, of course...
by VotM
13 Jul 2017, 16:26

In the long term, if LDS has the leverage to expand the access rights -- or even substitute the word "online" for "film" in the current restriction to provide certain records only thru the FHC sites themselves -- this will be good news. In the near term, however, there is likely to be an access gap ...
by VotM
28 Jun 2017, 14:31

I personally find the termination of microfilm rental troubling. Assuming that all records could be digitized, a herculean task if it's to be completed by 2020, will these newly digitized records be available online to everyone from any computer or will there be restricted access limited to only an...