Search found 27 matches

by continuo
20 Jun 2020, 20:45
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Shepherds
Replies: 3
Views: 180

Re: Shepherds

Before the collapse of feudalism, the feudal lord held exclusive control of common areas on their fief (pastures, lands for grazing, rivers, roads, etc). There were rules, restrictions, costs and all manner of injustices regarding use. But in general, most peasants could have a reasonable expectatio...
by continuo
19 Jun 2020, 04:56
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Searching for Italian passport records
Replies: 14
Views: 1054

Re: Searching for Italian passport records

OK, here's a bit better reference on which to close the subject. It is from a law book contemporary to the Ventennio: L'art. 7 della legge 9 aprile 1931, cui fa richiamo il decreto, parla di « spostamento di famiglie per l'impiego in altra provincia »; invece il decreto parla di trasferimento, parol...
by continuo
18 Jun 2020, 19:05

Erudità, I've seen references to these laws in various books and articles, a few of them even in English. One that pops immediately to mind is "Christ Stopped at Eboli" by Carlo Levi. To be honest though, the real detail of what I know on the subject I got through interviews. But just to reassure yo...
by continuo
18 Jun 2020, 00:37

Erudità,
During the ventennio fascista permits were required for internal migration. Laborers caught without them could be (and often were) deported to their region of origin.
by continuo
07 Jun 2020, 21:41
Topic: Two odd middle names
Replies: 4
Views: 249

Re: Two odd middle names

To date, no one has been able to prove a DFA (descent from antiquity). Our 19th century ancestors would have faced the same roadblocks that we do. So that historical reference probably isn't going to be very useful to you. I would try and check if the italianized versions of those two names have ant...
by continuo
07 Jun 2020, 21:07
Topic: WWI - WWII Liste di Leva / Military draft, Napoli?
Replies: 3
Views: 169

Re: WWI - WWII Liste di Leva / Military draft, Napoli?

Someone born in 1898 would have been over 40 at the start of the Second World War. That is relatively old for front line infantry. I think if you see his foglio matricolare, you might find that he was Fanteria (infantry) in the First World War but Genio (field engineer) in the Second World War -- on...
by continuo
07 Jun 2020, 20:52
Topic: Mandaradoni, Calabria, Italy
Replies: 2
Views: 186

Re: Mandaradoni, Calabria, Italy

This is an interesting story. It's rare to be able to trace a comune (or in this case a frazione) to individual founders. Correctional exile was one of the most common forms of punishment at that time. It would mostly have been used to deal with petty crime (like stealing a goat or a sheep). This so...
by continuo
06 Jun 2020, 18:43

Thomas, passports were required just to relocate to a different province or even a different town. These kinds of documents existed in some form since Napoleon abolished feudalism.
by continuo
24 May 2020, 20:09
Topic: Antonio De Lena - any info
Replies: 15
Views: 475

Re: Antonio De Lena - any info

The SPVM has an archive team and does allow access to information requests. You could request the relevant event report. That said, I have never used this service myself, so I am not sure what restrictions may exist or even how far their records go back. I have to admit I don't know anything at all ...
by continuo
29 Feb 2020, 17:47
Topic: Military Records
Replies: 5
Views: 377

Re: Military Records

The Kingdom of Italy was founded in 1861. In that year, a series of laws were passed regarding compulsory military service, which varied by region. In Sicily the draft began in 1861, starting with people born in 1840. And even then, it was only in 1865 that the Liste di Leva were standardized. You d...
by continuo
19 Feb 2020, 13:40
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: "l'epoca del pprimo Brigantaggio"
Replies: 6
Views: 714

Re: "l'epoca del pprimo Brigantaggio"

L'epoca del primo Brigantaggio refers to the Calabrian insurrection against the Napoleonic Kingdom of Naples. The conflict lasted from around 1806 to 1811. Sounds like your ancestor might have been a Bourbon loyalist.
by continuo
23 Jan 2020, 18:20
Topic: Early Naturalizations with declaration
Views: 369

Re: Early Naturalizations with declaration

The Castle Garden passenger arrival lists (1855-1890) were destroyed along with the Ellis Island passenger arrival lists between 1892-1897. Yes, the US Customs Office passenger lists still exist and are used as a best available substitute. But if they were as good, I doubt we'd be debating whether i...
by continuo
23 Jan 2020, 00:08

Well, it's certainly possible. And no one knows your research better than you. If you think it's plausible, then it probably is. There is one thing I'm curious about. You say there are no other Florio arrivals between 1872 and 1876. How do you know this? This is before Ellis Island and the federal i...
by continuo
22 Jan 2020, 02:25

The Florio naturalization gives you a street address. If you can cross reference with street directories or census records, then I think you could make a case for this being your 1845 born Florio mistakenly identified as a minor. If this is all you have though, then that's more challenging. US natur...
by continuo
12 Nov 2019, 03:22
Forum: Locations in Italy
Topic: Can't find records for this town in Catanzaro
Replies: 12
Views: 622

Re: Can't find records for this town in Catanzaro

Your ancestor is a Tomaino that settled in Pennsylvania, so San Pietro Apostolo (CZ) is more plausible than San Pietro a Maida (or a great many other towns, for that matter). That's the good news. The bad news is that, in general, Castle Garden records are incomplete, to the point where their useful...