Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
I am struggling with some parts of this Atti di Matrimonio. I need some guidance.
On 6 May 1876, Luigi Rinaldo 21 born in Melito di Napoli of ???? and Sabata Chiariello married Marta Musto 34?? born in SMCV of Lorenzo and Luigia Sbordone in SMCV.
Aside from not being able to read the given name of the groom's father, is it likely that a 21 year old man is marrying a 34 year old woman? Also, I have Luigia born abt 1826 from previous documents and having children between 1854-1859. This would mean she started having children in 1842 at age 16. While I know none of this is impossible, how likely is it.
Any help and/or opinions?
Jim
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
I'm not seeing "Napoli" after Melito.
I AM seeing "sudetto" after Melito (each time after the first Melito), and also after S. Maria (each time after the first S. Maria). "Sudetto" means "as stated"...
You have Maria's age correct at 34, and Luigi's age is correct at 21. As to whether that was common...not really...but not unheard of.
As to having children at 16...very likely. Girls could have been married at 13 with parental consent (usually with parents wanting a "good" match).
"Female villagers (at least those who are not substantially older than their husbands) give two reasons for marriage by a younger man to an older woman: (1) the nuptial arrangement gave primacy to matters of inheritance; (2) the older woman was pregnant."
It goes on to state:
"...landowners, and to a lesser degree shopkeepers, artisans, and town officials were far more likely to marry women older than themselves than were agricultural workers."
That being said...I wasn't able to read Luigi's occupation...have you?
I picked up the "di Napoli" from my Google search. Do you think they are 2 different places?
I wanted to make it Stefano but couldn't get "St" out of those 1st 2 letters. The "S" doesn't seem to match any other capital "S" in the document. However, I haven't any other solution.
Thank you T.
Jim
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Luigi's occupation looks like the word industriante to me. I usually don't see that occupation in that form, but it looks like those letters to me. I also see Stefano for the father's name. Have no idea either what else it could be.
One of the most fun things that I discovered in my research was finding my look alike ancestor, Prince Marino Caracciolo II. Don Marino descends from the Caracciolo Rossi family, one of the oldest families in Naples, that date back to 950 AD. He was born in Atripalda on 9-6-1587 and died in Naples o...