Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Darn it, I think you are right, Marty. I was hoping to get her maiden name but she had already been in U.S. for 6 years and had at least 1 child here.
I found what I believe to be their original immigration on 26 Sep 1903. Aside from not knowing Maddalena's maiden surname, other mysteries abound. Family lore has it that their son Joseph (Giuseppe) born 15 Jan 1905 was born in PA. Joseph went to Italy at the age of 5 and didn't return until about 1934, married and with a pregnant Italian wife, Clementina Turcato. The only assumption I can make is that the whole family left for Italy before the 1910 census, since I have not found any of them on any census reports. I have never attempted to acquire emigration (from the U.S.)documents from another country.
I was hoping to prove (or disprove) the family lore but it seems I may have run into a dead end as far as helpful documents are concerned. Any suggestions?
Thank you
Jim
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
The greatest exodus of modern history has been that of the Italians. Since 1861, more than twenty-four million departures have been recorded. In the space of just over a century a number almost equivalent to the amount of the population at the time of the unification of Italy emigrated abroad. It wa...