Birth Record Translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
momdotts
Rookie
Rookie

Birth Record Translation

Post by momdotts »

I hope someone can help!

Trying to find out if this child was abandoned, parents deceased, etc.

Can someone translate documents.

thanks so much in advance

http://imageshack.us/g/812/oe7v.jpg/
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Birth Record Translation

Post by Tessa78 »

Not able to read the images. Can not enlarge...

T.
momdotts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by momdotts »

I tried to rescan... Does this help? Thanks again

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/36g0.jpg/
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

momdotts wrote:I tried to rescan... Does this help? Thanks again

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/36g0.jpg/

Link is not working correctly.

Try uploading to www.postimage.org and then copy and paste the URL for "Thumbnails for Forum 1" link

T.
momdotts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by momdotts »

Hope this works!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Santo D'Amico was abandon left at the trovato della ruota the wheel, consists of a rotating drum on which the child was put; made to turn, the wheel allow the recovery of the infant within the building.
Santo was presented by Maria Anna Giovancio who was incharge of the wheel

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

The record is dated Feb 24, 1840 at 4 P.M. The newborn was found on the wheel at 3 today. He was without any signs or apparent marks (sometimes a parent abandoning an infant would leave a ribbon, medal, or something with the child so that they could reclaim it at some future point. That does not appear to be the case here). The newborn was given to a wetnurse by the name of Giuseppa D'Amico (an infant at that time had to be breastfed, as there was no pasteurization of milk and no bottle feeding). She was the wife of (not sure of husband's name-looks like Costano). The infant was given the name Santo D'Amico and was baptized on the 24th in the parish church of Termini.

Erudita
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

adelfio wrote:Santo D'Amico was abandon left at the trovato della ruota the wheel, consists of a rotating drum on which the child was put; made to turn, the wheel allow the recovery of the infant within the building.

Marty

In addition to Marty's post...

Record #26
Dated… 1844 February 16

ALSO... on page two (which is just as difficult to read as page one) there is some reference to Giuseppa D'Amico, wife of Cosimo... but I can't decipher the handwriting entirely. Maybe someone else will take a look.

T.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Tessa78 wrote:
adelfio wrote:Santo D'Amico was abandon left at the trovato della ruota the wheel, consists of a rotating drum on which the child was put; made to turn, the wheel allow the recovery of the infant within the building.

Marty

In addition to Marty's post...

Record #26
Dated… 1844 February 16

ALSO... on page two (which is just as difficult to read as page one) there is some reference to Giuseppa D'Amico, wife of Cosimo... but I can't decipher the handwriting entirely. Maybe someone else will take a look.

T.

The year was 1840. The 16 refers to the time (ore). Left column is dated the 24th, right column the 29th, but the baptism was on the 24th. Giuseppa D'Amico is called a nutrice, as far as I can tell.
Erudita
momdotts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by momdotts »

Thank you all! Very Much!

Appears my research on this name may now end, as I will be unable to follow the line!